TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had a sunny afternoon but some heavy loose showers. By 20:00 it was clear and sunny. First thing this morning it was cool, clear and calm and the glass is up again on 1024mb. The forecast is for a dry day with sunny intervals but a period of heavy overcast in the middle of the day. The constant light to moderate westerly wind gives us a high of 16C and a low of 12C with a chill of -2C. The outlook is for a similar day to this tomorrow and then from Monday onwards it to be much warmer and sunnier. This may be Barlick Summer!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday managed to be a lot brighter than the forecast suggested but no warmer! At 20:00 we had a light breeze, an almost clear sky and late sun. First thing this morning, a light breeze, cool, dry and a clear sky with some high scattered cloud. The glass is steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for a sunny day with cloud starting to build in the late afternoon. The constant westerly wind is moderate and gives a high of 18C, a low of 13C tonight and a chill of -2C this afternoon when the wind backs to WNW for a while. The outlook is for some hot weather to start to build for next week. Margaret and Mick will see some summer....
Later... 05:30. We have a very heavy dew which is a good sign.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

93952D59-9FF4-4662-8979-CBF7DEE8230D.png
It’s actually felt quite warm today, and our overnight temps are slowly inching up.

Someone I know went for a walk along their Jetty today, I would have rugged up for that. 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We seem to be heading into another heat wave Cathy.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was very pleasant and at 20:00 it was a sunny warm evening. First thing this morning it was calm, mild and dry under a light overcast. The glass is up a touch on 1024mb and the forecast is for a dry day of sunny intervals. The mainly WNW wind is light and gives a high of 21C and a low of 10C with very little wind chill. The outlook is for sun and increasing temperatures for the foreseeable future. This is our summer. Enjoy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was fine again, the heat wave is building slowly. At 20:00 it was calm, mild, clear and lots of late sun coming in under the cloud. First thing this morning calm, cool and a clear sky. The glass is up slightly again on 1027mb. The forecast is for a sunny day. The mainly NW wind is very light and gives us a high of 23C and a low of 12C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for the heat to continue to build, no end in sight!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Wall to wall sunshine in Muston this morning, already at 22 degrees. High tide mid afternoon so it will be less time on the beach today. Dry real estate is in high demand on Filey's beaches. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Camping Ian?
Yesterday was another fine day in the slow build of this heat wave. At 20:00 it was mild clear and sunny and first thing this morning it was calm, cool and a clear sky. The glass is back a touch on just under 1025mb. The forecast is for wall to wall sun. The light wind is variable and settles down into a westerly this afternoon giving a high of 26C and a low tonight of 14C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for continually rising temperatures as far ahead as we can see at the moment. I think we can now be certain this is summer....!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

No, we are renting a cottage (house) in Muston. Kids have their own rooms and bathroom, we have an en suite for ours. Nice place, Brid today, Scarborough tomorrow for the naval battle in Peasholm Park. Camping for Sally and I later.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You've picked good weather for it!
Yesterday was hot and this morning it's cool clear and calm. We are in for another hot day. The glass is down on 1020mb and the forecast is wall to wall sun. The wind is light and variable giving a high of 28C and a low of 16C tonight with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for another three days like this and then it starts to cool down with cloud and showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another sunny hot day and at 20:00 we had clear skies and late sun. First thing this morning, cool, clear and calm with a full moon. The glass is down slightly on 1018mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The light easterly wind gives a high of 28C and a low of 15C with a negligible wind chill. Same tomorrow and then a gradual cooling down but still hot dry weather, the drought goes on.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

There is a very pleasant easterly breeze cooling things down at the moment. Unfortunately for us easterly winds also bring the delicate scent of pigs from the next door neighbour's sheds. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm up early Wendy because I couldn't sleep and am cooking my chicken while it is cool. I have a very nice cooling breeze blowing through the kitchen. I think I should cook some veggies while the going is good!
Yesterday was hot but we were given a forecast of cooler weather today. That has gone, we have at least two more hot days. At 20:00 it was full sun and very warm. First thing this morning it's cool and clear with a glorious full moon. The glass is down on 1015mb. The forecast is for full sun and a hot day. The wind is a light easterly giving a high of 28C and a low of 16C tonight. We are promised the same tomorrow but then the temperature will drop.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

People keep harking back to the heatwave of 1976 but it doesn't quite reach the levels of these 10 hottest UK days on record...

Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, quite true in respect of highest temperatures but 1976 was notable mainly for the length of the hot weather and the drought it caused. Many places had severe restrictions including stand-pipes in the streets.
Yesterday was another hot day but it was a slightly cooler night. First thing this morning it was calm, cool and clear with a brilliant moon. The glass is down on 1008mb and falling. The forecast is again for wall to wall sun. The mainly easterly wind is light and gives a high of 29C and a low tonight of 17C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for lower temperatures starting tomorrow and for two days we have yellow warnings of thunderstorms.
Later.... listening to the shipping Bulletin the most common prediction is for thundery showers. It was the end of a hot spell that triggered the extreme event on Whitemoor in July 1932. Keep an eye on it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

2B30DD6B-414B-4F8C-82C2-7521263B446A.png
We are still receiving plenty of rain, blessed with sunny intervals. It’s forecast to rain from 9pm tonight to at least 1pm tomorrow.

All good. Shall I send you some rain? 🌨 😊
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes please Cathy, from 22:00 to 04:00 and gentle so it soaks in..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another hot day, my bedding dried in no time! At 20:00 it was calm and clear with good sun but a bit of cloud came in later. First thing this morning it was calm, cool a we had a full moon in a clear sky but with some high scattered cloud. No change now, still clear with scattered cloud. The glass is is down with a bump on 998mb. The forecast is for a mainly cloudy day with the chance of a shower any time, possibly thundery. The wind starts very light in the east but soon gets into the west and increases slightly giving us a high of 22C and a low of 15C and negligible wind chill. The outlook is for the temperature to fall again through the week with possible rain showers, thundery at times.
90 years since Barlick flood which was caused by an extreme weather event on Whitemoor after a spell of hot weather.
06:15. The cloud is building...... There are thunderstorms in Scotland and to the south of Cumbria. I shall pull the plug on the computer when I go for second sleep.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Second sleep was three hours, the hot weather takes it out of you! I've just been for a walk over to the bookies but after only five minutes it started spotting with rain, no big quantity but I thought it best to come home. Needless to say, I am glad to see it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No apparent thunderstorms in the area yet. Plenty on the continent and over in the US.

Real Time Lightning Map

One minute later....

No sooner had I posted this but we now have strikes just offshore in Ireland and around Sheffield
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Spits and spots of rain here in Foulridge. It's gone very dark.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We have some strange stuff falling out of the sky, think it’s called drizzle.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Met Office are predicting thunder, lightning and showers at 3pm here. It's very humid.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday none of the forecast rain or thunder materialised despite heavy cloud. At 20:00 it was clouded over and mild. First thing this morning it is calm, dry and overcast. The glass is up slightly on 1001mb and the forecast is for a cloudy thundery day with intermittent showers. The outlook for the next seven days is continuing cooling down, overcast and occasional showers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been for a walk and a sit opposite the bookies and today I didn't get rained on! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”