TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yet another pleasant day. At 20:30 it was calm, a mostly clear sky and late sun coming in low from the west. First thing this morning it was the same and dawn was already showing in the east. It's even better now, totally clear, cool and early sun. The glass is rock steady on just over 1012mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The wind is a constant moderate westerly giving a high of 14C and a low of 8C with an average -2C wind chill. No complaints about this! The outlook was for rain Saturday and Sunday but is now for dryer weather, gradually getting a bit cooler but nothing to frighten the horses.
06:30. A perfect walk to the butcger's and back, Clear sky, full sun, light breeze and cool but not cold. It doesn't get any better than this at any time of the year. Perfect day for walkers.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very pleasant yesterday but a stiffer breeze than forecast at times. At 20:30 it had calmed, we had a mainly clear sky but no late sun. First thing this morning it was calm and clear. just looked out and it's the same with dawn showing nicely in the east. The glass is up slightly at just over 1014mb. The forecast is for another sunny day until cloud starts to come in in the afternoon, chance of rain at teatime. The wind is light to moderate W/WSW with a high of 14C and a low of 12C. Wind chill varies with speed, could reach -3C in the middle of the day briefly. The outlook is for similar weather but perhaps cooler and more chance of rain.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Hopefully the rain will hold off for Bands on the Square.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think the forecast of rain at about 16:00 looks credible Kev.
We have had our walk, another perfect walk. There is a but more high cloud than yesterday which at the moment is partially obstructing the sun but that can change as our clear sky moves eastwards. Another mostly good day in prospect.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day, forecast was accurate, light rain came in just after 16:00. At 21:00 it was bright, breezy, dry and mild. This morning it was dry, overcast and a light breeze but still mild. We now have a very light mizzle. The glass is down on 1007mb. The forecast is for rain all day until 16:00 then clearing with sunny spells. The constant moderate wind starts WSW and then settles in the west around dinnertime giving a high of 14C and a low of 9C with a -3C wind chill all day. Not flaming summer but good growy weather, we need the rain.....
05:45. Back from a shorter walk round the Green, today is protect the back day after yesterday's mistake. 100% overcast and light steady rain, not very cheerful but exactly what Mother Nature needs. The ground is dry and hard underfoot, it needs softening! Mild and growy sums the morning up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Wintry day today. 15C with 80% rain. Barometer 1016mb. Wind 17kmph
Very overcast but not dark.
The birds are having a great time messing around in the bark, which means a sweeping job for later.
Love that they have found a 4,500 year old 'drowned' forest in Wales, after Storm Hannah.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard that report Cathy and also noted that they found footsteps in it from 4,000 years ago when another storm revealed it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday morning was steady light rain and it cleared in the afternoon. At 20:30 we had a light breeze with broken cloud, it was dry. It was the same first thing this morning and since then the overcast has become heavier, no sign of dawn in the east. The glass is down slightly at 1003mb. The forecast is for a showery day, rain at almost any time with occasional sunny spells. The wind is a constant moderate westerly and gives a high of 12C and a low of 7C with a -2 or -3C wind chill all day. Not summer but as I said yesterday, we need the rain!
06:00. It had stopped raining but the wind was cold and We are both glad to be back home. Longer walk than usual because Town Square is completely fenced off.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Rain on ad off all day, it's doing good, the ground is soaking it up. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a breeze and it was dry. Same first thing this morning, some stars visible, damp flags and a breeze, the overcast is a bit thicker now. The glass is up a shade on 1004mb. The forecast is for a cloudy morning and more general rain from 13:00 onwards. The constant NE wind is light and gives a high of 12C and a low of 7C with a -1C wind chill all day. The outlook is for it to warm up a bit later in the week.
06:00. A pleasant walk on a calm dry morning under broken cloud. The birds are singing there hearts out in Valley Gardens, they know a good thing when they see it! Everything is looking green and fresh after the rain which has done a lot of good.
I note that the Town Square is getting back to normal after BOTS. One window boarded up on the barber's next to what was Elaine's shop. Apart from that the town centre has survived!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The window on the Razor barber's shop was unrelated to BOTS, it happened early hours of Saturday. There's a trail of blood round onto Church Street as well...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Notice that I made no assumptions about the cause Kev, just the fact that it had happened. It was outside the BOTS compound all weekend.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in yesterday just after 14:00 but it soon brightened up again. At 20:30 it was dry, bright, almost calm and just broken cloud. Same first thing this morning and as I write it is perfectly clear and cool, possible grass frost? The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and is on 1014mb. The forecast is for the day to gradually cloud over until by 16:00 there is a chance of scattered showers. The wind starts light and variable and settles down later to a moderate southerly that gives a high of 13C and a low of 12C tonight with a -2 wind chill. The outlook is for the warmer trend to continue.
05:55. A very pleasant walk, calm, low sun and no frost. Just a padded shirt was sufficient. There is cloud out in the west but it is very slow moving, meanwhile the sun shines.....
I noticed another boarded up window in the 'prize shop' on Majestic Parade next to the new gym. I think that might be new....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We got light rain only in the afternoon. At 20;30 we had light rain under broken cloud. First thing this morning it was dry after a recent light shower and we had broken cloud. As I write we have 100% overcast, a light breeze and very fine mizzle. The glass is down slightly at a shade under 1009mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with a shower at almost any time. The constant moderate WSW wind gives a high of 16C and a low of 13C with as much as a -3C wind chill at times depending on wind strength. Not summer but very good for Mother Nature, very growy weather!
06:00. A dry walk under 100% overcast and with a strong mild breeze. Different but not unpleasant! Rain isn't far away though.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Light rain on and off yesterday, perfect growing weather! At 20:30 we had 100% overcast, a light breeze and Mizzle. Same this morning first thing and it hasn't changed. The glass is up again on 1016mb. The forecast is essentially a re-run of yesterday, a day of light rain brightening in the evening. The constant SW wind is moderate and gives a high of 17C and a low of 12C with up to -3C wind chill depending on wind strength. Another very growy day!
05:45. We had a good walk to the butcher's and back, it was almost calm and dry despite the 100% overcast. No complaints at all and you can hear the grass growing!
Some of you may remember Jack's friendship with Pepe the whippet lurcher. We haven't seen a lot of him since his companion animal took a year off from working at Rolls as an engineer to have her lovely little baby daughter Edie. She was out at 05:30 this morning and we had a reunion. I asked why and she said she goes back to work next week. I can't believe that Edie is almost a year old! Time certainly flies! Pepe and Jack are going to see a lot more of each other!
What was the police car with two officers in it doing parked outside Osborne Terrace this morning and then going up into the town centre?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was drier and warmer than forecast, it was quite balmy in the afternoon. At 20:30 we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was dry and mild. First thing this morning it was the same and has not changed except that the light breeze seems to be coming from the NW. The glass is steady on 1015mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of rain in the middle of the day. Te forecast wind is generally southerly and light giving a high of 17C and a low of 14C with a light wind chill of -1C. If the experience of the last few days is anything to go by it will be brighter and perhaps warmer than this. As is so often the case we fall between the two stools of the East and West coast weather. I'll put my bet on a similar day to yesterday!
06:00. Back from our walk, overcast, almost calm and dry.

Valley Gardens this morning, I think we may be reaching peak foliage!

I have no doubt someone will be able to tell me why the new coffee shop in Newtown as named after Frank Street!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

FB land, according to Sally mooted this very question recently. Apparently the new venture was going to be on Frank Street but ended up on Newtown, the sign had already been made. It's Barlick and anything a bit quirky is the norm. We may be turning into Royston Vasey. :extrawink: :biggrin2:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I heard the same Ian, was going to be where the 'Move in' shop is now...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Love it! Thanks for the explanation. As with any other small business I wish them well.
Yesterday was a bit better than the forecast but we did get the light rain. At 20;30 it was overcast and just about dry but mild. This morning first thing it was the same but light rain, it's cleared since and is drying up now, very mild and growy. The glass fell slowly all day and this morning is still falling and on 1004mb. The forecast is for a brightish start but showers coming in late morning. The constant WSW wind will get to moderate and gives a high of 19C and a low of 10C with a -2C wind chill as the wind strengthens late morning when it could bring showers in. Very growy weather and now is the time to put the bedding plants in, we near grass day and there is very little chance of frost now. I talked to Wendy yesterday and she said the weeds were growing faster than she could cope with!
06:05. A very pleasant walk under a sky which is clear but milky. Calm, dry and very mild, exactly the right morning for a spot treatment of the weeds at the front, mainly in the pavement, with Roundup.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate yesterday, mixed weather and not a lot of sun. At 20:30 we had broken cloud and a breeze but it was mild and dry. First thing this morning it was the same, the cloud is more broken now but still heavy enough in the east to block the early sun, probably a bit cooler. The glass is down a touch at 1002mb. The forecast is for an overcast day till late morning and then full sun for the rest of the day, no rain. The constant WSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 15C and a low of 9C with a wind chill of as much as -4C during the day. Overall it will feel cooler but still good for the grass! The outlook is for similar weather but slightly cooler on the whole.
06:10. Back after a pleasant but cool walk, the sun is trying to break through from the East but hasn't managed it yet. Jack met all his mates, 3 Jack Russells and Pepe. Pepe's companion animal starts work at Rolls after maternity leave at 06:30 this morning. She was telling me that a day's child care costs £57. I think it's terrible that she should be penalised for being a skilled worker.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was cooler but still a better day than forecast. At 20:30 it was overcast and a light breeze but mild and dry. First thing this morning it was the same, it has improved since, the cloud is breaking and we have a good dawn in the east. The glass is up very slightly on 1004mb. The forecast is for rain to come in by 07:00 and persist all day. The wind starts as a light southerly but swings into the east during the day. It gives us a high of 12C and a low of 9C with a wind chill of -2C. I suspect this might be a pessimistic forecast, west coast weather perhaps? We'll see.
05:45. A pleasant walk under skies that are still largely clear. The sun is struggling to get through the cloud in the east but its still dry. We'll see what happens....

Modern street furniture.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain was 2 hours later coming in than forecast at 09:00 but persisted on and off for the rest of the day. Still light rain at 20:30. This morning it was drying up with an almost clear sky, a few scattered small low clouds. There's a bit more cloud now but it is still light and broken, dawn is showing in the east. The glass is down on 995mb but has started to rise slowly. The forecast is for a cloudy day, dry but no sun forecast. The wind is a constant moderate SW and will give a high of 14C and a low of 8C tonight, there will be a -2C wind chill all day, occasionally -3C. Not the most cheerful day but an improvement on yesterday, just! The outlook is for similar mixed weather.
05:50. A dry walk on a cooler morning. The sun hasn't managed to break through the cloud which is not heavy, but enough to block the currant bun. Not a cheerful morning but better than yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I arrived home from a trip to Harrogate at about 3.30pm yesterday as it was just settling in to rain properly. By 4.30pm it was tipping it down with a rising wind from the north east. We put the hens away but I decided against feeding the ponies to avoid getting soaked (they get a couple of handfuls each with the necessary drugs mixed in). By 7.30 it still hadn't eased up so I got kitted up in waterproofs and went out. The ponies were down the field with their backends facing the weather getting a little shelter from some rising ground. If you have ever watched advanced dressage horses performing complex sideways movements and wondered how on earth they are trained to do something apparently unnatural then you should have seen my old boys trying to make progress in a southerly direction towards me and food, whilst keeping their rear ends facing East! A magnificent display, performed at speed and even synchronised.
They were actually shaking like leaves from the cold, poor things. So after they had eaten their teas I managed to get rugs on them..... and that's not easy in wind and rain!🙂
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Wonderful observation Wendy. Are they out at night now?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes, they have been staying out since the end of March. I needed them to be out of their stables before I took that trip to Devon in early April. Now they have shed their thick winter coats they get cold quickly if it's wet and windy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”