TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

We didn't get anywhere near the 27C reported down the country but the day turned out well and was very acceptable. At 20:00 high mare's tail cloud. Light breeze, dry and and cool. First thing this morning it was calm cool and clear. we have had our morning walk and it is still the same, fresh, clear and full sun already. The glass rose a bit yesterday and this morning is steady on 1033mb. The forecast is for a sunny day with perhaps light cloud this afternoon. The constant mainly north wind is light and gives a high of 18C and a low of 9C with a -1C wind chill all day. The outlook for the rest of the week is full sun and temperatures in the 20s. Things could be worse. But we need rain, this is a dry season!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good day yesterday and better to come! At 20:00 we had light high overcast, calm and mild. First thing this morning calm dry and high overcast, still the same now. The glass is rock steady on 1033mb. The forecast is full sun all day. The wind is very light and variable giving a high of 22C and a low of 12C with negligible wind chill. Outlook is for no change for the foreseeable future. Nice! Barlick summer.
05:45. Back from a perfect summer morning walk. Calm, sunny and mild. Lovely!
Only thing that grabbed my attention (The town is dead!) was 4 vapour trails, more than I have seen for a while. Mostly cargo I suspect but there is a red-eye from London to Glasgow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I know we have done away with the seasons in this thread but we are still in no two days alike territory. Only a few days since we had a cold snap. Springtime yes, Summer is over three weeks away yet. As far as I know we haven't lost our place in the solar system, we are still third rock from the sun. :extrawink: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If it looks and feels like summer that'll do me!
Best day of the year yesterday. At 20:00 it was a balmy evening, lots of folks sat out chatting. First thing this morning calm, mild and clear, hasn't changed since. The glass did a bit of a reverse ferret yesterday and fell to 1027mb. The forecast is dead simple, a re-run of yesterday, full sun all day. The constant light to moderate SE wind gives us a high of 22C and a low of 9C. The cooling effect will be about -2 0r -3C this afternoon and will be pleasant! No change from this weather in the outlook. One word of warning though; we need rain!
05:50. Another good walk, waistcoat and shirt sleeves. Bit longer than usual as I had to swing by the surgery to drop my prescription in for repetition. Clear sky, full sun and mild and the outlook is fro the same for at least the next five days. Barlick summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Jet Stream seems to be keeping the atlantic fronts out to the west of ireland. I suspect rain will come in June, just when I need to work outside.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another perfect day yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm, clear and warm. Same this morning. The glass is down a touch on 1024mb. The forecast is for a rerun of yesterday but slightly cooler as the wind is a moderate easterly giving 20C for a high and 9C for a low. Outlook still good but signs of cooling mid week and perhaps even some rain. May is going to be the sunniest and driest since records began. I wonder what effect the fall in atmospheric pollution has had?
05:40. A perfect walk. Cool, clear and the air is like wine. Town is dead!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A bit cooler yesterday due to the east wind but still a good day. At 20:00 it was clear and mild with a light breeze. First thing this morning it was cool, calm and clear and that hasn't changed, we shall have early sun. The glass is steady on 1022mb. The forecast is for another day of sun (that's why I am washing duvet covers and they are almost ready to hang out before I go for my walk). The constant moderate E wind will mean a high of 21C and a low of 9C with as much as a -3C wind chill, in other words the same as yesterday. Another two days of sun in the outlook and then we enter a cooler spell as Atlantic systems overcome the high pressure zone we are in now.
06:00. I hung my duvet covers out to dry before going for our walk, so a good start to the day. Beautiful morning, cool, calm and full sun. A very quiet town, I saw nobody and not a single vehicle. Looking good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another good day, scattered high cloud in the afternoon and at 20:00 it was a calm clear evening. Same first thing this morning, a clear sky full of stars. Still the same. The glass is steady on 1023mb. The forecast is for a day of full sun. The wind is light to moderate NE and gives a high of 20C and a low of 9C tonight. A -3C wind chill in the strongest winds. Another good day forecast tomorrow and then we have a big change to below average cooler weather and a chance of rain for the rest of the week. I hope it rains, we need it. That will be worth putting my heavy shirt on again.
05:45. Another perfect walk. Low sun from the time we went out, calm, cool and a clear sky. The town is very quiet but more vehicles about and two pedestrians! The low sun lights the foliage on the trees perfectly especially the Copper Beeches. I always remember reading that Michaelangelo Buonarotti the Italian sculptor always went to the quarry to choose his stone first thing in the morning when the sun was low, he said that in that light he could see into the stone. It works with trees as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes, another perfect day yesterday! At 20:00 it was calm, mild and a mostly clear sky. First thing this morning it was the same but the sky is perfectly clear. Still the same. The glass has fallen during the night to 1020mb, a small foretaste of what is to come. The forecast is for another dry sunny day. The very light wind starts NE and ends NW and strengthening later tonight giving a high of 22C and a low of 12C with negligible wind chill until late tonight when the weather starts to change to a cold wet spell dominated by Atlantic low pressure. Not summer but if the next week brings some rain it will be welcome. From tomorrow onwards, back to warm clothes for a while!
05:40. A very nice socially distanced walk. Calm, clear sky with some thin high cloud. Low sun and the promise of a good day. Nice!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another perfect day. At 20:00 it was calm and mild but large dark clouds coming in. First thing this morning it's still cam and mild, no rain during the night but heavy overcast. Still the same now. The glass is down on 1008mb and falling. The forecast is for heavy rain until midday and then overcast. The wind is forecast to increase to a moderate NE giving a high of 13C and a low of 7C with a -2C wind chill later. The outlook is similar for the next 5 days.
04:00. We have light spots of rain.
05:50. A pleasant walk on a calm, mild morning under 100% overcast. It was raining lightly as we left and now we are back it has gradually increased to proper running off roofs and down gutters rain! Very steady, just what we need.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had useful rain until noon but not heavy. At 20:00 it was overcast, a light northerly breeze and dry. First thing this morning at was clear with light high cloud, calm and dry. 100% cloud now but still calm and dry. The glass has fallen during the night to 1004mb. The forecast is for it to be cloudy but dry until this afternoon when there is a chance of rain into the evening. The wind is light and variable but settles down to NW this evening giving a high of 12C and a low of 6C with a -1C wind chill most of the day. Similar weather until weekend when it starts to warm very slightly.
05:40. Calm, cool, overcast and dry. That just about sums it up. An extra skin on but otherwise a good walk.
The mill race in Valley Gardens has not been running for three days. Butts Beck is down to a trickle, the rain yesterday has been absorbed straight into the ground on the moor.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 04 Jun 2020, 03:37 The mill race in Valley Gardens has not been running for three days. Butts Beck is down to a trickle, the rain yesterday has been absorbed straight into the ground on the moor.
It will take a good session of prolonged rain to loosen Weets. It was tinder dry last week when we did our circular. No sign of clag even in the worst usually claggy bits.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see there have been moor fires already Ian.
Good sun in the afternoon not rain as forecast. At 20:00 it was dry and cool, the wind was increasing a bit. First thing this morning, calm with steady useful rain, no change, still raining. The glass has dived to 990mb. The forecast is for rain at any time today, heavy overcast all day. The NW wind starts light but increases slowly all day to a brisk moderate. High of 10C, low of 6C and a wind chill that could be as much as -3C so it will feel cold all day. The outlook is warmer from tomorrow but not much! (Definitely vest and shirt today!)
05:45. By the time we went out the rain had bated and some clear patches were coming down from the North. So a cool but dry walk through Valley Gardens. The mill race has a bit of flow this morning and the flow over Butts Dam is a bit heavier so the rain is making a difference slowly. More pedestrians cars and planes about this morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Relatively dry with sunny spells yesterday but that was a cold hard wind in the afternoon and evening. First thing this morning significant rain, Still the same. The glass was steady yesterday but during the night has fallen to 985mb and still falling. The forecast is for the rain to persist becoming lighter during the morning then sunny spells and scattered showers for the rest of the day. The NW wind will be brisk with gusts to almost 40mph giving us a high of 13C and a low of 8C with a -3C wind chill. The outlook for next five days is similar temperatures but drier.
05:50. Back in the hutch after a windy wet cold walk. That's about it. The flow on Butts Beck is up again and all of Nature is enjoying the weather except perhaps for the birds!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London was generally overcast and wettish yesterday with the odd gap of afternoon sunshine. Today the afternoon has got darker and wetter with thundery showers typical for June I suppose.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Better morning and afternoon than expected, we had two dry walks in the sun. At 20:00 it was breezy, dry and bright with large clear patches in the sky. This morning it's calm, scattered high cloud and dry. The glass rose all day yesterday and this morning is on 998mb. The forecast is for early rain at dawn and then heavy overcast but dry for the rest of the day. The wind varies a bit but is generally out of the North settling to a moderate NE this evening. The high will be 14C and the low 6C with a -2C wind chill. Similar weather expected until Friday when it could start to get warmer.
06:00. It started raining at 4AM and by the time we went out it was significant. The overcast seems bright and it may not last long. That's about it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday managed to stay dry but overcast and cool. At 20;00 it was calm cool and overcast and was the same first thing this morning. No change now, dry, calm and 100% grey overcast. The glass rose strongly all day yesterday and this morning is on 1014mb and still rising. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The easterly wind is constant and light giving a high of 13C and a low of 8C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is broadly similar, rain on Wednesday but after that slowly getting warmer. It was a full moon last Friday but we haven't seen it yet! It doesn't seem to have had any effect :sad: .
05:45. Back from a shorter walk. My right knee has always been dodgy and this morning it was signalling distress! I often wondered when I was driving millions of miles with my right foot nailed to the floorboards to get the max out of the wagon if there would be a price to pay in the future. Anyway, we have a calm morning with light mizzle, not enough for a waterproof, so we did a circumnavigation of the Green. Plenty of scope for Jack and comfortable for me. He is feeling no pain and neither am I at the moment!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

London (South West) Soggy Sunday a bit chilly, today showery overcast sunshine a bit warmer.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Passable day yesterday, nothing exciting and dry. At 20:00 we had a light breeze, cool, dry and heavy broken cloud with clear patches. This morning is about the same but lighter cloud I think. The glass rose slowly all day yesterday and is on 1017mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry but overcast all day. The wind starts very light in the east and during the day backs and strengthens to a moderate westerly. High of 15C and a low of 9C with a -1C wind chill later. The outlook is for similar weather but warming up, could be some rain tomorrow.
05:55. A pleasant walk on a calm cool morning. Lots of clear sky but broken cloud also and we have watery sun coming in. Cool enough to make your breath steam. Full Valley Gardens walk at a leisurely pace, knee held up OK!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another unexciting but acceptable day yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm and dry but heavy cloud rolling in. First thing this morning, heavy rain and it is unchanged now. The glass rose a touch yesterday but fell back during the night, it's on 1012mb. The forecast is for the heavy rain to bate a little but basically overcast and wet all day. The wind is a light mild southerly giving a high of 12C and a low of 9C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is that it is drier and warmer tomorrow and this trend continues for at least five days.
05:45. By the time we set off for our Valley Gardens walk the rain had stopped, at the same time their was a serious argument going on in our back street residential Jackdaws. I don't know what it was about but they were having a right ding dong. The morning is calm, mild, a lighter overcast than earlier and quite pleasant. The overcast looks to be set but the question is how much rain will it bring? Last night's rain was a good wet, just what was needed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a relatively dry day yesterday but at 20:00 we had broken overcast and very light rain despite the wind being in the East, usually a dry quarter. First thing this morning we had light rain, since then it has got heavier but is expected to cease shortly. The glass is steady on 1012mb with a slight tendency to rise. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of light rain early and late. The story today is the constant brisk easterly wind which will gust to 35mph giving a high of 15C and a low of 10C with a wind chill of -3C. The outlook is still for rising temperatures and brighter weather.
05:30. A good walk round Valley Gardens. Good because the cold east wind hasn't got into its stride yet, just a light breeze. 100% overcast but the rain has stopped so we had a dry walk.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Rain, more than not, but there has been some not, in London today, mostly like yesterday, was warmer but cooled off afternoon. I wonder if the wildlife are having problems with the rain - a rather loose long-tailed tit nest was grounded with occupants lost on springwatch last night, heavy rain might have had something to do with it, though sensible birds try to find inside a bush as less exposed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was pretty good insofar as I had three dry walks! At 20:00 we had a light east wind, 100% overcast and light rain. Same first thing this morning except that it was calm. No change since, not actually raining but rain in the air, it won't be long before it starts again. The glass has fallen to 1009mb during the night. The forecast is for overcast and light rain until early afternoon. The constant NE wind will be moderate all day giving a high of 14C and a low of 12C with as much as -3C wind chill later. The outlook is for drier, warmer weather starting tomorrow.
05:40. A damp walk. Heavy overcast, calm and mizzling. That's about it, perhaps more cars on the road than usual but no pedestrians apart from one lad with fishing tackle! Good day for canal fishing I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we can agree that yesterday was a damp day. At 20:00 it was overcast, breezy and not raining. First thing this morning it was the same and signs of drying up, very mild. I've just popped me head out and it is still drying. The glass is, surprisingly, down on 1004mb. The forecast is for an overcast but dry morning with an increasing chance of breaks in the cloud after noon. The wind is NE but is air dragged up from warmer conditions by a low pressure system on the continent hence the higher temperature. It is light verging on moderate all day and gives a high of 20C and a low of 12C with a maximum -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar warmer and drier weather for the next five days but I suspect a chance of an occasional light shower at any time.
05:35. Back from a pleasant walk. It's overcast, slightly misty, dry, calm and mild. What's not to like? No pedestrians and only two cars. Very quiet like the weather.
08:30. We've just had a short walk on the Green. Still very quiet and misty. The cloud is down on Weets and possibly Wendy is in cloud as well. The forecasters are issuing warnings of scattered thunder storms in the NW.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Misty muggy day, superb growing conditions! At 20:00 it was calm, mild and damp but not raining, 100% overcast. First thing this morning it was the same bu broken cloud, some stars visible. We now have a clear sky apart from some lingering cloud in the east masking the dawn light. The glass is up on 1010mb. The forecast is for a dry day with plenty of sunny intervals. The constant east wind is light to moderate giving a high of 21C and a low of 13C with a moderate -2C wind chill when the wind is strongest. The outlook is for similar weather but the occasional shower. The pollen count is very high. Very growy weather!
05:50. We've had a pleasant walk. Since I last looked out we have 100% broken cloud now but there is brighter sky in the east , the general direction of the wind although at the moment the clouds are moving more from the SE. Not bright at the moment but it's promising, we could end up with a very nice day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”