TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 12:16 I keep reading of an August heatwave I wish it would hurry up.
It must true. I've seen it on the side of a bus. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice one.... :biggrin2: But dream on Ken!
Yesterday we had a nice afternoon as long as you weren't sitting in the shade. We had none of the showers forecast and at 20:00 it was calm and dry but overcast. We had a light shower during the night but this morning first thing it was dry, calm and cloudy, still the same. The glass is up on 1007mb and the forecast is for a cloudy morning but sunny spells this afternoon. (It says it's raining at the moment but speaks with forked tongue!) The westerly wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 18C and a low of 12C with as much as -2C chill. The five day outlook is for very similar weather to today, a touch warmer and dryer but not high summer.
Later at 05:30. Very light rain but nothing serious. There is still rain in the air.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was nice, it was dry and fine. At 20:00 there was low sun and it was dry. This morning it's calm, dry and 75% clear. The glass is up on 1011mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with light rain this afternoon. The mainly SSW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 17C and a low of 12C with a chill of almost -2C. The five day outlook is for similar weather but perhaps slightly more sun.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was fine, light rain started at about 16:00 and it was still damping at 20:00. First thing this morning it was calm, clear and dry. I've just looked outside and we have no change, just a bit of high cloud in the east. The glass is steady on 1011mb. The forecast is for a misty start, then cloud and perhaps sunny intervals later. The SW wind is light to moderate and gives us a high of 18C, a low of 13C and a wind chill of -2C this afternoon. The five day outlook is for similar, if slightly cooler weather. Sorry, not high summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again, yesterday afternoon was nice and sunny. At 20:00 it was still mild and dry with low sun coming in under the cloud. First thing this morning it was dry and 50% clear, just some thin scattered cloud drifting over. I've just popped out and the cloud is increasing. The glass is nailed on 1011mb. The forecast says we will have sunny intervals or full sun this afternoon with a chance of a light shower late morning. The constant brisk WSW wind with gusts to 35mph gives us a high of 17C and a low of 13C with as much as -4C wind chill this afternoon. The five day outlook remains unexciting, similar weather to today and no high summer weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another nice afternoon yesterday but with a strong wind. At 20:00 it was still sunny and mild but breezy. First thing this morning it was calm, dry and 50% light scattered cloud. I've had a look and it's still the same. The glass is up a shade on 1013mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with the chance of a light shower this afternoon. The wind is constant, moderate and WSW giving a high of 16C, a low of 12C and a wind chill of -2C this afternoon. The five day outlook is unchanged, similar unexciting weather and no high summer!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday it started raining around dinnertime and gradually increased but never heavy. We had light rain at 20:00 and evidence of a light shower first thing this morning. I've just looked outside and we still have a very light drizzle. The glass is down slightly on 1008mb and falling. The forecast is for light rain and sunny spells until early afternoon when the rain might stop. The mainly westerly wind is moderate and gives a high of 17C, a low of 12C tonight and a wind chill of -2C this afternoon. The five day outlook is for similar dull cool weather. Very unexciting and definitely not high summer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had a walk and a sit but was eventually driven back home by light mizzle. Got quite excited when I saw an old Ford Major going past heading towards Gisburn but it was not the parade....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon petered out in fine mizzle. At 20:00 it wasn't actually raining but breezy and damp, very angry yellow light in the West. First thing this morning it's 50% clear, breezy and dry. The glass is nailed on 1008mb. The forecast is for a dry day, cloudy but a chance of sunny intervals later. The constant NW wind is moderate and gives a high of 17C and a low of 13C tonight with a -3C wind chill all day. The five day outlook is the same, similar to today and unexciting. No heat wave in sight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was overcast but just about dry. At 20:00 we had a light breeze and 100% cloud. This morning first thing we had the light breeze, 100% overcast and light rain, it is still the same. The glass is up on 1014mb but falling. The forecast is for light rain all day possibly clearing to sunny spells in the early evening. The constant W/WNW wind is moderate and gives a high of 16C and a low tonight of 13C with a -2C chill. The five day outlook is for the same dull weather until Friday when It might start to brighten up a bit but don't hold your breath!
06:00. The heating kicked in.... :sad:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday's weather story was cloud and chilly wind. I got my sit observing the bookies but only because I had my leather A2 jacket on, the wind was chilly. At 20:00 it was still clouded and a light breeze. This morning it's the same and there is evidence of a light shower during the night. Once again the glass is nailed to 1013mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with the chance of light showers around noon and early afternoon and later tonight. We still have the constant moderate WNW wind and it gives a high of 17C and a low of 12C tonight with a -3 wind chill. The five day outlook is for similar grey weather. Deep Joy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The CH has kicked in again....
And we have light mizzle on the wind.... Deep Joy....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We still have the lightest of mizzle on the wind. Lousy weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Courage mon brave - the Met office have altready predicted an August heat wave. (Def two days of sunshine). It can't be long now. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Problem is I heard that prediction was in the Daily Express. That automatically makes it suspect. Heat wave from Spain indeed.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've had my walk and a sit outside the bookies. Very light mizzle in the air, not enough to wet anything and it's driven by a chilly NW wind. Good job I had enough sense to put my leather A2 jacket on so wind no problem. The pedestrian crossing lights are slow to respond at the moment and there are too many kamikaze pedestrians about. They press the button, cross before it activates causing traffic to brake and traffic then has to stop for an empty crossing. It's a miracle we don't have more injuries.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Ive not been keeping up.

I read now that there won't in fact be an August heatwave It will be pretty dismal, but September is looking promising.
As usual the secret to successful forecasting is to 'forecast often'. You'll get it right eventually.

I shall revert to getting my weather forecast by looking out of the front window. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was best characterised as cloud and light mizzle all day. It was still the same at 20:00 and no sign of the sun at all at sunset. This morning it's cloudy with a very light breeze but no mizzle as yet and the flags are almost dry. The glass is down on 1009mb and falling. The forecast is for a dry clouded day. The constant WSW wind is light and gives a high of 16C and a low of 13C tonight. The wind chill this afternoon will be -2C. The five day forecast is for three more days of cloud but then Monday and Tuesday show signs of clearer and slightly warmer weather. We may get a tropical 20C on Tuesday! Be still my heart!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday saw the return of mizzle, apart from a brief spell at noon it was with us all day. At 20:00 it was mild and mizzling. First thing this morning it's dry and mild with a light breeze. The glass is steady on 1009mb. The forecast is simple, 'Cloudy all day'. The constant light SW wind gives us a tropical high of 20C and a low of 15C with negligible wind chill. A rainy day tomorrow but then we move into brighter and more seasonable weather. We may get over 20C!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cloudy except for an odd shaft of sun around 15:00. At 20:00 it was cloudy and first thing this morning was the same with evidence of a light shower during the night. I've just looked out and no change, it hasn't started raining yet. The glass is up on 1011mb but falling. The forecast is for rain all day and a yellow warning for thunder this afternoon and evening. The constant light SE wind gives us a high of 17C and a low of 15C with negligible wind chill. The five day outlook is for brighter warmer weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday wasn't the wash out we were promised however there was a very heavy thunder shower at Broughton on the way home from Skipton at 15:30. At 20:00 it was still close and damp but not raining. During the night we had clearer skies and a full moon. First thing this morning it was mild, dry and calm and is still the same. The glass is unchanged on 1011mb. The forecast is for a cloudy morning and heavy rain and sunny spells this afternoon. The wind is a light NW and give us a high of 19C a low of 13C and a -1C chill this afternoon. The five day outlook is for brighter dryer weather. Funny how the weather so often changes with a full moon.
05:45. We have had a light shower that wasn't in the script!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was showery, damp but not actually raining at 20:00 but heavy cloud cover. First thing this morning calm high broken cloud and the full moon trying to break through. The glass has leapt up to 1024mb and is still rising. The forecast is for sunny intervals all day and no rain. The constant easterly wind is light and gives us a high of 20C and a low tonight of 11C with -1C chill this afternoon. The five day outlook is for similar weather but no heatwave.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon clouded over and at 20:00 it was calm, dry and clouded. Same this morning, the cloud was heavy enough to obscure the full moon and is still the same. The glass is up again on 1028mb and steady. The forecast is after a cloudy start we shall have a dry day with sunny intervals but most of the afternoon will be cloudy. The very light but constant NE wind gives us a high of 20C and a low of 12C tonight with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar dry sunny weather but no heat wave!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Listening to the Shipping Forecast gives you a better idea of what the weather is doing. At the moment we are under a high pressure system centred on the East coast of Ireland and it's drifting slowly NW. This means that we can expect settled weather with rising pressure for at least the next 24 hours.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon stayed dry but it was cloudy. At 20:00 we still had cloud and a few stray spots of rain. During the night the sky cleared and first thing this morning it was clear and we had a bright moon but with a halo. The glass has fallen a shade to 1026mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day but sunny spells later. The constant NE wind is very light and gives a high of 23C and a low of 13C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for similar bright dry weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”