TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was perfect weather for late February. At 20:00 it was almost clear, calm, mild and dry. Same this morning but more overcast and misty. The glass is up on almost 1030mb. The forecast is for a clear bright day, plenty of sun and no rain. The constant light wind is more easterly today than SE giving a high of 13C and a low of 5C with negligible wind chill. Looking good again! (Working wonders with the gas bill!)
05:30. not our usual walk just a trot round the block. It's misty, calm and mild. The Moon is just visible through the mist or low cloud..... I shall post on Jack in pet's corner.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It's yet another Heatwave for us, no relief for at least a week. :sad:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How hot?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's lovely now the mist has burned off.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

How hot? 37, 36, 36, 38, 39, and 37C.
I feel like a wet rag just thinking about it :sunny: Too much.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Poor you, just 10C here at the moment, not quite warm enough to take my mug of coffee outside.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got warmer in the afternoon Cathy and I feel for you.......
Yesterday was a good day, theoretically not as warm but actually it was because we had less wind chill. at 20:00 it was calm mild and dry with broken cloud (This is wonderful weather for a poorly dog!) Fist thing this morning it was the same, some stars visible, Just looked out and it's clearer, we have the moon clearly visible but with a halo. (Jack followed me out and had another pee. Good!) The glass is up very slightly on 1031mb. The forecast is for a clear day with full sun all day and clear skies tonight. The constant very light east wind allows us 15C for a high and 4C for a low tonight with negligible wind chill. Perfect weather for mid-winter!
05:55. A lovely walk on a cool and misty morning but calm and the sky is clear. Notable for two things, first is that I didn't wear the Crombie, a fleece lined top shirt was sufficient. Second is that Jack followed me out and so I chance a full Valley Gardens walk. No problems at all and it will have done us both good. I am much happier!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Perfect day yesterday4C with negligible wind chill.. I see it was the warmest February day ever, over 20C, in Wales. Pretty balmy in Barlick as well! At 20:00 it was calm, clear, dry and cool. Same thing first thing this morning and I have just looked out, we might have a light overcast but no mist like yesterday. The glass is down slightly on 1029mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, no rain and full sun all day. The constant very light easterly wind gives us a high of 16C and a low of 4C with negligible wind chill. Perfect weather! Could be a touch warmer than yesterday.
Dennis and Sparky must be enjoying this lot!
05:45. Out and back early as we have to get our second walk in early because of Airedale. A good walk on a cool but calm morning. The cloud is broken and the moon and stars are clearly visible, no mist like yesterday. Jack was alert, active and did all he should do. Not out of the woods yet but good progress!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Even warmer yesterday, brilliant winter weather, helping us along nicely. At 20:00 it was clear, calm and mild. Same this morning first thing but much cooler, a bit of overcast has crept in since. The glass has fallen to 1022mb. The forecast is for another cloudless dry day. The wind is changing via the north and will be in the west all day, a bit stronger but not much. This means the day will be cooler, a high of 12C and a low of 3C tonight with slightly more wind chill. Still a brilliant day for mid-winter but signs of a change.....
05:50. Back from another pleasant walk. Crombie this morning, it's cool out there! Clear sky, moon and stars shining, very little wind and Jack enjoyed his walk and had one good delivery! (He's not eating very well at the moment but that will pass.... As for me, it was hard work! Very tired and legs and back tired and achy but that shows the BCG is doing just what it says on the tin. No worries about this, it will pass....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Another brilliant day yesterday, cooler but still exceptional. At 20:00 it was calm, overcast, dry and cool. Same tis morning first thing but overcast a bit heavier now I think. The glass is down again at 1010mb, a change coming! The forecast is for a cloudy day with the chance of light rain in the early afternoon. The very light wind varies a bit but tends to be mainly NW all day giving a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a slight wind chill. Much cooler than of late but still above the seasonal average. The outlook for the next five days is similar, no nasty shocks like snow and ice.....
05:55. A good walk on a quiet morning, what light breeze there is is directly out of the North. It is overcast with a slight mist, no sight of moon or stars and cold enough for a grass frost, car roofs and windscreens are already covered with ice. But despite the frost, it's a good morning for the last day of February and looking back we have had a wonderfully kind month, often the worst of the winter. No signs of any violent change, we can live in hopes!
Very good morning for Jack, scent conditions are near perfect and it was a joy to see him being perfectly normal.
The lady from the Met Office has just hinted that we have had the warmest February on record, an official opinion will come later today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

We've just been told that this summer has been the hottest on record for Sth.Aust.
Doesn't surprise me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And we may have the same news today about February.... And yet we are told by some that there is no global warming......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Tonight we try to sleep in 24C.
Autumn starts for us tomorrow, theoretically, but today I found myself in the middle of a 'leaf shower ', it was lovely :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Was that falling leaves Cathy?
Yesterday was much cooler, never saw any rain until 20:30 when we had the first spits as Jack had his late pee. First thing this morning it was overcast and not raining but the flags are damp. Just looked out and it's calm with very light rain, enough to wet the slates and give a drip from the downspouts. The glass is up slightly at just under 1014mb. The forecast shows nothing but a slight chance of rain on an overcast day. The very light wind is mainly SW and the high will be 8C and the low 6C with negligible wind chill. Still mild for the time of year.....
06:05. Back from our normal Valley Gardens walk. Jack acting perfectly normally. I put my hoodie on just in case but it was dry. Almost perfect calm, dry and a uniform overcast until we got near home when some breaks opened in the South and I saw some stars and a red setting crescent moon. No complaints at all about the weather.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hardly any rain yesterday but colder. At 20:30 it was partially overcast and dry but only just. First thing this morning it was calm, broken could and we had light rain, it's the same now. The glass is down again at 1003mb. The forecast is for the light rain to cease soon and then for a day of broken cloud and occasional sunshine until about 15:00 when the rain returns for the rest of the day. The constant, moderate SW wind is stronger and gives a high of 10C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -4C all day. The outlook is continuing cool, rain tomorrow and the main feature of Saturday and Sunday will be a lot more wind.
06:15. As you can see we went out 15 minutes later than usual, it worked as we only had very light rain all the way round, Jack got wet but not soaked and that's good, it all promotes keeping his wound from hardening and closing. That's what causes him occasional discomfort. The overcast is 100% but I was surprised how light it was taking the inside, unlit path, through Valley Gardens. The days are definitely lengthening! Goody.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Hopefully today has been our last 40C day. 33C for the next couple of days, maybe with a shower or possible thunderstorm tomorrow night. From then it's mid to high 20Cs for 6 days.
Fingers crossed. Roll on Autumn.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Glad you're getting a bit of respite Cathy!
Yesterday was a mixture of sunny spells and showers and at 20:00 it was overcast, damp and not cold. As it got dark the sky had a peculiar colour, yellowish rosy is the best way I can describe it. This morning first thing we had well broken cloud, more wind and it was dry, still the same but I think a more even overcast. The glass is down again on 992mb as we feel the effects of storm Freya. The forecast is for a day of two halves, it is dry until 13:00 with some sunny spells, after that we have rain for the rest of the day. The same applies to the wind, until 13:00 we have SSW, strong and gusting to 40mph, after that the wind eases a bit and becomes easterly, still gusty until after 18:00 it reverts to SSW via the north. The high will be 9C and the low 1C with up to a -5C wind chill when the wind is strongest. Active weather but still milder than the usual average for early March. March come in like a lion perhaps?
05:45. Yes, we were out early. It's windy and dry, some breaks in the cloud, I could see some stars in the south. Not cold but if you're in the wind it makes it feel so. Nevertheless, this is a good winter morning! I have seen much worse.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The occasional rain yesterday was light and the wind never quite reached the predicted strength, I think we got off lightly! At 20:00 it was blustery, cold and we had light rain. This morning there was less wind but we had cold rain, still the same as we prepare for our morning walk. The glass fell like a stone to about 970mb yesterday anjd this morning has recovered to 976mb, still a very low value. The forecast is for the rain to cease and the sky will clear giving good sun until 16:00 when the rain comes back with a chance of light sleety snow later in the evening as it is much colder. The wind is constant, strong and gusty all day. The High will be 7C and the low tonight 2C but there is a significant wind chill of -5C all day and this means that it will feel as though it is below freezing for most of the day and particularly tonight. Wrap up warm is the message!
05:55. Back in the hutch after a cold, damp but rain-free walk. The wind is more north than west at the moment as is often the case in Barlick, I suspect that's because the wind is diverted by the Weets and comes round the north end. I noted a couple of wheelie bins blown over during the night. News comes in that the Jet Stream, which has been passing to the north of the Isles is now coming straight at the UK and will bring the Atlantic lows in directly across us instead of heading in a NE direction. Add to this the fact that New York has a severe snow warning today and draw your own conclusions. It's cold out there and we aren't out of winter yet!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The wind was at it's worst between about 10.30pm and 1am last night, we recorded a 60mph gust. I went into the barn after Endeavour to see to the ponies and decided to switch the wind turbine off as it was sounding gusty. Within half an hour the wind was roaring around the house so I was pleased I had done it. ( Once the battery bank is fully charged any spare energy is "dumped" via a large heat sink type thingy. As this is directly above the stables I worry, though Colin informs me that it's perfectly safe.)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's a different world up there Wendy, glad you were OK. We are very sheltered down here in town.....
The rain came in on time and persisted throughout the day, intermittent cold showers, still wet at 20:00. This morning it was overcast but calm and dry first thing. We have had a light shower since but it's not raining at the moment. The glass is up at almost 989mb. The forecast is for occasional showers until 09:00 but after that clearing up with the chance of sunny spells, the rain returns later tonight. The constant SW wind will be moderate and gusty all day giving a high of 9C and a low of 5C with a -5C wind chill at first falling to -3C later. So it will still feel cold and raw. Wrap up well and keep moving!
06:00. Back from an acceptable walk under broken cloud, it's almost calm and we had no rain. This is good! It is cold but no frost. Jack acting perfectly normally..... I am getting back to near normal, don't have to think out every move to avoid pain. Things could be a lot worse!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was bang on, we got rained on in the afternoon but that was good for Jack's wound. At 20:30 we had a breeze and light rain. First thing this morning it was overcast and we had recently had heavy rain, just looked outside and it is still not raining but very damp. The glass is down again on 979mb, could mean wind..... The forecast is for a mixed day of showers and sunny spells. The constant southerly winds are moderate and gusty giving a high of 11C and a low of 4C with a -3 or -4C wind chill all day. The outlook is for colder weather but nothing to frighten the horses! Wrap up warm and be waterproof.
05:45. Back from a damp walk, I chanced the Crombie but we had a shower of light rain. The overcast is solid, no stars in sight. The wind is brisk and gusty but mild. Not the best walk but I have had much worse at this time of year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was scattered showers and windy but mild. At 20:00 it was overcast, cooler and raining. This morning first thing it was damp, cooler and just starting a light shower, I've just looked out and it is steady cold rain now. The glass is down again at 973mb. The forecast is for heavy overcast all day and rain until nightfall. The wind is moderate and gusty, it starts as WSW but later becomes NW. This gives us a high of 6C and a low of 0C tonight. There is a wind chill of -4 to -5C all day depending on wind strength and direction. A cold, wet nasty day!
06:10. We're glad to be back indoors! A windy, wet, cold morning, in short the sort of walk you want to forget. But we must look on the bright side (If there is one...) Going out 15 minutes later meant there was much more light despite the heavy overcast. Then there is the fact that Jack's back got a good long soak and when I got back and rubbed him down I noted that his wound is a lot less crusty on the edges and so will be more comfortable or him. It natters him when it dries out. I said earlier that I had a vague sense of unease about it but I am a bit more cheerful now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a lousy wet cold day! At 20:00 it was dry and cold with a light breeze and a cloudless sky. First thing this morning it was the same, Just looked out and no change except there may be some scattered light high cloud. The glass started rising yesterday afternoon and this morning has leapt up to a shade under 1003mb. The forecast is for a clear and sunny morning but deteriorating up to midday when it will start raining. The SW wind will increase slowly all day getting gusty later. It gives us a high of 6C and a low of 3c with a -4 or -5C wind chill all day. So if you have anything to do outside, do it this morning! Wrap up warm, the wind chill will make it feel like below freezing all day.
06:30. A dry walk on a calm morning in a sharp frost, some pavements were getting slippy. It was getting light already when we went out at 05:45 and by the time we got back it was daylight, lovely and what a change!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The sun never broke through the overcast yesterday morning and the rain came in on schedule at dinnertime, it struck me that we are having 'February Fill Dyke.....' a month late. At 20:30 we had broken cloud and a stiff breeze but it was dry. first thing this morning it was clear, cold and dry, since then it's clouded over and we have light rain just starting. The glass is down on a shade under 999mb. The forecast is for this rain to persist until mid morning and then clear to sunny spells. The constant SW wind is moderate and gusty later. The high is 6C and the low 1C with a -5C wind chill. Another wrap up warm day!
Tomorrow will be colder and there is a chance of sleety rain, perhaps even a snow shower.
05:25. You're right, we are back indoors earlier than usual. We were lucky when we went out at 05:00 as the rain had bated. We set off as usual but it was very cold in the wind and I had a feeling it was going to rain so I crossed the road at Gisburn Road School and let Jack run free on the Green as I headed home. He entered into the spirit and we had two substantial firm deliveries so that's all right! We got back dry and emptied, that'll do for this morning. That wind is very cold and I didn't see the point of chilling both of us.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was as the forecast, rain in the morning and sun in the afternoon but always cold. Last night at 20:30 we had broken cloud a light wind and it was dry. The same first thing this morning, since then light cold rain has come in. The glass is down slightly at 996mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with rain and probably snow at times. The wind is variable until 9AM when it settles in the west and becomes steady and moderate. The high is 4C and the low 1C but after 9AM the wind chill settles at -6C giving us a very cold day. The snow that's forecast might stick..... Looks like a proper winter's day Kids!
05:40. An early walk because the rain was only light. So a cold walk on a calm morning with light rain all the way. Good for Jack's back, his wound is tightening up nicely and is a lovely colour. The rain helps the salt solution to make sure it doesn't crust and start to irritate him. Only 15 days since he was attacked, his progress is quite amazing, Gillian and I reckoned at least for weeks and probably longer. He must have an iron constitution!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”