TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Big Kev »

chinatyke wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 07:53
Eat your hearts out! Taken 10 minutes ago and 31C in the shade.
A nice picture to brighten your day.
Not jealous :laugh5:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Cathy wrote: 08 Mar 2020, 09:00 That’s lovely China. Here in Adelaide we have a lovely cherry blossom time too, lots of suburban streets have the trees. Blooming starts around August and we have a Cherry Blossom Festival in October.
Our weather is ☀️ with 26 - 31C for the next few days. 😊 (No chance of rain).
This is a peach tree in our roof top garden. We got a few peaches last year, hopefully a lot more this year. It got to 31C this afternoon, a far cry from Barlick weather.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had less rain and more sun than forecast yesterday. At 20:00 it was breezy, cold broken clouds but dry. At the moment we have the breeze and steady rain. (No leak over the window as yet) The Glass is up on 998mb. The forecast is for the rain to abate around 06:00 then overcast and perhaps an occasional shower until 15:00 when serious heavy rain comes in and doesn't stop until Tuesday afternoon. The wind is generally SW, brisk and gusting to 30mph giving a high of 7C and a low of 4C with a wind chill of -5C most of the day.
06:05. It had ceased raining so we chanced a Crombie walk, it worked fine. We had a brisk cold breeze, 100% overcast but no rain. Nothing of note, the town is very quiet.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate, we managed to get a dry afternoon walk in before the rain returned at about 15:00 and as far as I can see it hasn't stopped since. At 20:00 we had wind and cold rain. Same first thing this morning and no change since. The glass rose to about 1005mb yesterday but then started to fall back in the afternoon, it's down on 992mb now. The forecast is for this rain to continue until about 13:00 and then broken cloud and occasional showers for the rest of the day. The main story is the strong WSW wind gusting to 50mph giving a high of 10C and a low of 4C with a -4C wind chill. The outlook is for the same but perhaps slightly less rain.
05:40. Horrible out there, rain driven on a brisk wind with gusts strong enough to make an old bloke stagger. We opted for a shorter walk enough for Jack to empty himself and have a free run on the Green. I don't like cutting the walk short but I was out long enough to get some lungfuls of fresh clean air. Back inside now, Jack is dry and sausaged and I am warming up. Not the best start to the day but we have made the best of it....
Later. I keep an eye on the speed of the incoming red-eye flights from the US heading for Europe because when in our air space they haven't started descending. I note this morning that they are all at about 38,000ft and achieving a speed over the ground of almost 600mph which shows that the jet stream is back to the high levels we saw last week. Not good news for our weather. (I've just seen one from Montreal clocking 602mph.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

By afternoon yesterday it was dry but that wind was still very gusty! At 20:00 it was overcast, less wind and dry but mild. First thing this morning it was the same and hasn't changed. The glass rose slowly from midday onwards, it is on 1000mb now and still rising slowly. The forecast is for it to be dry until about 11:00 and then becoming showery with more serious rain later this evening. The wind is brisk and constant from the SW gusting to 40mph at times giving a high of 8C and a low of 1C later with a -5C wind chill. From midnight onwards it gets colder and the rain could become snow by morning with a sharp frost, there will be strong wind and it looks very wintry for a time.
05:55. A much better walk then yesterday! Light breeze, dry, clear sky and a brilliant full moon in the West. As we neared home, the dawn light was showing well in the East, it will be light earlier this morning. A good walk, I wonder what tomorrow will bring....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I managed to get caught in a heavy shower at 14:30. By 20:00 the rain had returned. First thing this morning we had a dramatic sky, large well separated clouds backlit by a brilliant full moon, there was a recent snow shower and it was windy and cold. Just looked outside and it is windy and very cold, the earlier snow is persisting on the cars and the clouds are thin and broken now. The glass fell yesterday but then started to rise, it is on a shade over 995mb at the moment and still rising. The forecast is for a relatively dry day with broken cloud until nightfall when rain will return. The mainly SW wind is strong and gusts to 50mph giving a high of 6C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -6C for most of the day making the perceived temperature well below freezing all day. A day for wrapping up well and keeping inside as much as possible!
05:40. Back in the warm, jack rubbed down and sausaged and I have a hot pot of tea. We went out early rugged up like Mother Russia and chancing a Crombie walk. As soon as we got out of the gate we found we were in a heavy sleet/graupel shower blown on a strong wind. Deep Joy! The grass, gardens and stationary cars are white, the pavements and roads are wet. A decision was taken! As soon as Jack had made his delivery we turned for home and I let him free on the Green. Jack didn't waste any time but headed straight for home. I'm all in favour of exercise but bugger a pantomime, routines are made to be broken! No problems at all with cutting back, makes sense on a horrible morning like today.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Main story was the wind, strong and very cold, managed to dodge the showers during the day. At 20:00 it was clear, very windy and bitter cold but dry. Same first thing this morning but wisps of cloud, another brilliant moon. I've just looked out and the wind has dropped but we have steady rain. The glass is up on 1008mb and still rising. The forecast is for this to be an isolated shower followed by a dry bright overcast day with some glimpses of the sun if we are lucky. The wind starts westerly and moderate but then becomes lighter and swings into the East giving a high of 6C and a low of 3C with up to -5C wind chill. Wrap up warm! The outlook is for it warm up a bit and be showery.
06:30. We went out a shade later and it was already coming light, by the time we got back home it was broad daylight. The walk itself was good, dry, broken cloud and only a light wind. It was cold of course but to tell the truth my full Mother Russia gear was a bit over the top. So, a pleasant walk. Only one thing of note, a rough sleeper in the Skipton Road bus shelter and another man who looked as though he had been out all night. I've only ever seen one in Barlick before.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday developed into a very acceptable afternoon. At 20:00 we had overcast, a light breeze and dry. It was the same first thing this morning but calm and hasn't changed since then. The glass rose yesterday to 1013mb but has fallen back during the night to 1007mb. The forecast is for an overcast day with the chance of a light shower increasing later on in the morning. The wind is moderate and mainly southerly giving a high of 6C and a low of 3C. There will be a wind chill of -3C most of the day. Not exciting but who needs exciting weather! The outlook is still warmer, wetter and bit more unsettled with perhaps more wind.
06:05. Full Valley Gardens walk on a very acceptable morning. Overcast but calm and dry and quite mild, one skin less, that makes walking easier. Only one item of interest, a man who appeared to be drunk in the town centre who wanted to be my best friend.... His speech was slurred and incomprehensible so I said Good morning but then ignored him. He definitely had a problem but wasn't in distress so I had no problem ignoring him. A good morning...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was on the whole a good and dry day. Just one nasty shower in the afternoon that had to be avoided! at 20:00 it was dry with a light mild wind. This morning first thing we had heavy rain, still raining but a chance it may abate soon. The glass rose slightly to 1008mb yesterday but this morning has fallen back to 950mb and seems to be steady. The forecast is for a wet start to the day but dry by 06:00 with only one shower expected around midday. The mainly westerly wind will be brisk, gusting to 40mph giving a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a wind chill of -5C making it feel cold. The outlook is for a brighter day tomorrow and then warmer and wetter for the rest of the week.
06:10. Back in after a dry walk through a very quiet town. That's about it! One thing I did note was that there is a massive flow over the Corn Mill Dam. It must have rained very heavily during the night.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The wind was indeed gusty and cold but on the whole, not a bad day. At 20:00 it was windy and cold with a broken sky but dry. This morning first thing it was the same, it's the same as I write except that as usual at this time of the morning the wind has dropped a bit. The glass is up on 1011mb and still rising. The forecast is for a warmer dry day, starting overcast but some good breaks and sun during the morning especially. The constant WSW wind will rise to moderate and give us a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a wind chill of -4C when the wind is strongest. On the whole not a bad day in prospect, should be good for walking (solitary of course!). Tomorrow will be warmer but after that some cold nights. Nothing extreme in the outlook.
06:00. Back from a very pleasant walk. (I encountered nobody!) Cold but calm and dry. The cloud is showing signs of breaking and it came light by the time we got home.
The town is very quiet and am I imagining things but is the traffic moving more slowly?
I have a question; why should someone with a large metal bar stool imagine that the best way to recycle it would be to dump it inside the entrance to Valley Gardens at the Gisburn road end?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a nice day! At 20:00 it was windy, dry and cold. First thing this morning, still a breeze but mild and we had a recent shower. It's dry and mild now. The glass rose to 1014mb yesterday afternoon, fell back a bit and has recovered during the night to 1015mb. The forecast is overcast with the chance of a light shower in the next hour but then brightening to broken cloud and sunny intervals. The constant SW wind is brisk all day, strengthening later and gusts of up to 50mph possible. The high is 12C and the low 5C with a -4C wind chill but it will feel warmer all day. This is a bit of a flash in the pan, the outlook is for colder dry weather but enjoy the day! The birds will!
05:50. Back from a perfect March walk! I have no pain and am breathing well, there is a wind but it's mild and dry. What's not to like! Imagine, some people refuse to recognise that this is good for me!
Only one thing marred the morning. As Ian pointed out a while since the pavement outside Montrose Terrace is a hot spot for pavement parking. There is one regular, the blue car in the picture I posted, always completely on the pavement, always next to a lamp post forcing you either on the grass or into the road. This morning it was joined by a white car so close to a lamp post that I had to walk in the road. No thought for pedestrians, particularly prams, walking frames or the blind. Totally selfish and contemptuous of any body else and their needs.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 04:02 Only one thing marred the morning. As Ian pointed out a while since the pavement outside Montrose Terrace is a hot spot for pavement parking. There is one regular, the blue car in the picture I posted, always completely on the pavement, always next to a lamp post forcing you either on the grass or into the road. This morning it was joined by a white car so close to a lamp post that I had to walk in the road. No thought for pedestrians, particularly prams, walking frames or the blind. Totally selfish and contemptuous of any body else and their needs.
Report them for obstructing the footpath.
Lancashire Police
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think they may have enough on without that Kev.
Just had our second walk. Straight out of the shed so I kept my plastic gloves on..... The town is quiet and I haven't seen any kids going to school. Is it a holiday or something else, they were all on the street yesterday.
One thing of note, I went out in padded waistcoat and shirt sleeves. It's almost tropical out there! (Well, nearly...)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 08:07 Report them for obstructing the footpath.
Stanley wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 09:09 I think they may have enough on without that Kev.
This is why they continue to do it. The police welcome reports of antisocial behaviour, without them nothing will happen. Take a photo showing the reg and forward it like Kev says, better that than a pedestrian being killed.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 17 Mar 2020, 09:09 I think they may have enough on without that Kev.
That's why I suggested doing it online, it'll be added to a queue and picked up as and when.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good: I'll take my camera with me tomorrow.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was almost Spring-like, one out of the bag! At 20:00 it was dry and mild with a light breeze. This morning first thing we had light rain and it was calm, still the same but forecast to dry up shortly. Temperature in back yard in old money is 45F, almost tropical! The glass is steady, up a shade to just under 1016mb. The forecast is for the rain to stop soon and then a dry overcast day. The wind is moderate and westerly giving a high of 6C and a low of 1C with a -3C wind chill. Nothing exciting and slightly cooler but still good March weather!
06:05. Calm and light rain but by the time we got back home it was bating. A very acceptable walk for March!
Pavement parking.... I took my camera but...Do you think somebody is reading this? The two worst offenders still well on the pavement but not next to lamp posts. Even so, someone with a pram would have to go on the grass. However, not egregious enough to support a charge for obstruction. (I hop they are reading this. If so for God's sake think of other people!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 04:24 The two worst offenders still well on the pavement but not next to lamp posts
Stanley wrote: 18 Mar 2020, 04:24 However, not egregious enough to support a charge for obstruction.
The distance to lamp posts is irrelevant, parking on the pavement is illegal so you second statement is incorrect, why would you assume it would not count as an offence?
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"The distance to lamp posts is irrelevant"
Not if you are in a wheelchair or pushing a pram.
Yesterday was, apart from the morning rain, a nice dry day, very mild. At 20:00 it was mild, calm and dry. First thing this morning it was calm, cold and dry, still the same. The glass is up slightly at 1022mb. The forecast is for a bright day with sun in the morning, no rain forecast. The wind soon settles as a very light northerly and gives a high of 8C and a low of 0C with a -1C wind chill. The outlook for the next week is for similar settled weather.
( I have a feeling in my water that we are going to have an early Spring for us and a good summer. Nature compensating us?)
06:00. We had dawn light in the East when we went out at 05:30, by the time we got back the streetlights were off. It's calm, cold, dry and the broken cloud promises well for later when the sun comes over the horizon. A pleasant walk on a nice morning. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 19 Mar 2020, 03:43 "The distance to lamp posts is irrelevant"
Not if you are in a wheelchair or pushing a pram.
Of course but I was referring to it's insignificance relative to the offence. If they are parked on the pavement it is an offence, plain and simple, the degree of incursion is irrelevant.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

03:49 tomorrow morning is the Spring Equinox. Three weeks later than the meteorologist would have us starting the season. Seems about right to me there is a definite change in the outlook with the rotation of the planet. Welcome to Spring in the Northern Hemisphere. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was another acceptable day. At 20:00 it was calm and dry with broken cloud, this morning it's the same. The glass is still rising and is on 1027mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with lots of sun. The wind is constant ENE starting light but becoming moderate giving a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a -4C wind chill later. The outlook is for more of the same.
06:30. A lovely walk! For a start off I only had the Crombie on, no padded shirt underneath. It was coming light as we went out and we have a perfectly clear sky, calm and a sharp white frost but it didn't feel cold, it is so dry.
The only thing I noted was that there was only one plane in the sky heading south, almost certainly Scotland to London. Normally the sky is full of vapour trails. This and better will do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 20 Mar 2020, 03:42 The only thing I noted was that there was only one plane in the sky heading south, almost certainly Scotland to London. Normally the sky is full of vapour trails.
Not much activity over Barlick, a bit busier over a wider area this evening
20200320_211921.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Kev, the radar tracker is telling the same story. I thought about you and your cruise when I saw a description of cruise ships as giant floating Petri dishes...
Yesterday was perfect, they don't come much better in March. Afternoon walk was in padded waistcoat and shirt sleeves. At 20:00 it was calm, clear as a bell and cold. Same this morning but we have some scattered cloud, no frost yet but I think we'll get one in the next couple of hours. The glass rose very slightly yesterday but this morning is rock steady where it was yesterday morning, 1027mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday, dry and sunny. The East wind is stronger and gives a high of 7C and a low of 0C with gusts of up to 35mph during which the wind chill will be -5C. This means that for most of the day and tonight it will feel like well below freezing but dry.
The outlook is for a lot of similar weather.
06:00. Back from a very acceptable Valley Gardens walk. It's overcast and no frost but feels colder than yesterday as there is more wind. Everything very quiet and despite the festive atmosphere mentioned earlier, not a pool of vomit in sight. Thanks Kids....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good dry sunny day yesterday but Wendy was right, that wind was bitter particularly in the afternoon. At 20:00 breezy, clear sky and very cold. Same first thing this morning but with more cloud, it is unchanged. The glass is virtually the same, steady on 1025mb. The forecast is another re-tun, clear and sunny all day. Same east wind but not quite as strong giving a high of 8C and a low of -2C with a -4C wind chill. Another cold day at LBH Wendy!
The outlook is warmer but with more overcast.
06:05. A pleasant walk. Calm, cold but getting lighter. I didn't see a single living person (or a dead one either.)
My bedding is in the washer, could be a good drying day outside.
06:05. Back in after a solitary walk, no pedestrians in sight. Very little traffic, only one bus (Did Susan tell me they were on Saturday working?) and only one plane in the sky.In short, every evidence that Barlick is locking down all but essential activities. Saw my neighbour this morning, she works in agricultural supplies and she says her job is safe for the time being as they it is classed as an essential industry.
A good walk but a sad one.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”