TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second walk and there is enough rain blowing on the wind to wet the flags.... It's blustery!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Very windy but clear sky and sunshine over here in Euxton.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Big winds and rain spatters yesterday. At 20:00 it was breezy, mild and dry. Broken cloud with lots of clear patches. This morning at 3AM it was overcast, breezy and a hint of rain in the air, Just looked out and that was the start of light persistent rain which is what we have now. The glass has risen to a shade over 997mb. The forecast is rain for most of the day, heavy at times. The wind starts as a light SE but soon changes back to a moderate WSW giving a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a -4C wind chill for most of the day. At least it's not snowing!
06:10. We've has a wet walk, early bath for Jack! But, the wind is light, it's mild and the rain gradually bated as we walked round Valley Gardens. It could have been much worse. Jack is rubbed down and sausaged and is feeling no pain. I am enjoying a hot pot of tea. All is well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again the rain wasn't as heavy or prolonged as the forecast suggested. At 20:00 we had broken cloud, a stiff breeze and light rain. Same first thing this morning, I've just looked outside and it isn't raining at the moment. The glass is up slightly on 1001mb. The forecast is for a dry day with sunny intervals developing from 09:00 onwards. The constant west wind is brisk with gusts up to 35mph all day and gives a high of 6C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -5C almost all day. This will make it feel like freezing or below all day so wrap up warm!
06:05. Back from a dry windy walk under breaking cloud. The wind chill made it feel cold but OK if you are rugged up! The town is quiet.....
Just noticed a KLM flight to Amsterdam that's crossing the UK at the moment. There must be a fierce jet stream, its speed over the ground is 637mph, a very high value.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday as long as you weren't out in that wind. At 20:00 we had cold rain. First thing this morning we had a hail shower. The glass is up slightly on 1004mb. The forecast is for an overcast morning, chance of sunny spells this afternoon, mainly dry. The wind is a brisk WNW and gives a high of 7C and a low of 0C. The wind chill is -6C at the moment but improves through the day to -3C. Deep Joy!
06:15. We've had a shorter walk than usual, first because I am delicate and second because we got caught in a nasty sleety shower. Remember the wind chill is taking us down to -3C. We can both do without this!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The day improved rapidly! At 20:00 it was calm, clear and dry with a very light NW wind and some scattered cloud with a nice moon. Same thing first thing this morning, no change just some ground mist. The glass rose rapidly all day yesterday and is on 1031mb and still riding slowly. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day. The constant light WSW wind strengthens slowly all day giving a high of 6C and a low of 2C with a wind chill of -2C rising with the wind to -3C later on. My own opinion is that this forecast is overly pessimistic about the cloud. I expect more sun than forecast. Expect a couple of days like this and then some stormy weather coming in over the weekend as the next Atlantic low hits us.
06:25. Cold and calm with heavy ground mist. That's about it! Not bad for half way into February and a big improvement on yesterday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It got quite bright and acceptable as the day wore on. At 20:00 it was cold, dry and a light NW breeze. This morning first thing we had overcast but calm, dry and not too cold. I've just popped me head out and no change, just a bit cooler but no frost as yet. The glass has dropped back a touch to 1027mb. The forecast is for a dry bright day with plenty of clear sky and sun when the early cloud clears. The light WSW wind is constant until late afternoon when it swings through South to end up as ESE tonight. This gives a high of 6C and a low of 0C with a wind chill that starts at -3C but falls to -1C by the end of the day. A better day and the immediate outlook is good but watch out for a wind coming in on Saturday night.
06:10. Back from a very acceptable Valley Gardens walk. Cold but because it's calm, no wind chill to speak of. This will change as the wind rises. The skip in Butts has been changed and the new one is also full.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The wind yesterday was never as cold as forecast, nice day! At 20:00 it was calm, dry and the sky was clearing. First thing this morning it was the same with a clear sky. A boy of thin overcast has come in since then. The glass is down on 1019. The forecast is for a clear dry day with cloud coming in this evening. The wind is easterly, constant and rises slowly all day to moderate this evening. High of 6C and a low of 4C. Wind chill up to -3C and makes it feel cold all day. Another good day if you are wrapped up! Tomorrow is looking good but stormy and wet on Sunday is forecast.
06:45. A good walk this morning. Calm, frosty and clear. That's about it, what my mother would call 'bracing' and good healthy weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had another acceptable day yesterday, colder in the afternoon as the wind rose but very nice for the time of year. At 20:00 it was overcast, still a cold east wind and dry. First thing this morning it was breezier, scattered clouds and evidence of a light shower during the night but dry and cold. I've just popped out to have a look and it is still breezy and we have had a light shower (later turned to proper rain). The glass has fallen rapidly since yesterday and this morning is on 1002mb. Today we will see a big change as storm Ciara moves in, if the Daily Express is to be believed it is the end of the world as we know it but I'll stick with the Met office. They say that the cloud will clear and we shall have a dry sunny day. The wind has backed out of the east overnight and is settling into a strong SSW with gusts up to 40mph giving a high of 7C and a low of 6C with a -5C wind chill all day making it feel like freezing or very close so wrap up warm.
The outlook for tomorrow is a different kettle of fish. The wind strengthens overnight to gale force with gusts up to 60mph (stronger up at Wendy's I suspect) and heavy rain all day. After that it is going to be cooler and mixed, showers (perhaps of snow) and sunny intervals.
06:00. It had stopped raining so we had a Crombie walk. Breezy, dry and cold in the wind. Lots of clear sky and an almost full moon. Bracing! I suspect tomorrow won't be as good!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was what tghe old farmers called a 'brewing day'. At 20:00 the wind had risen and it was raining steadily. First thing this morning we had even more wind and stair rod rain. I have just popped out and there is no change. We are sheltered from the wind largely because of the housing round us, God alone knows what it must be like on the exposed tops. I hope Wendy is OK, it's exceptionally wet and windy..... The glass fell all day yesterday, it's on 980mb at the moment and still falling quickly. The forecast is for wall to wall heavy rain easing slightly from 13:00 to 16;00 but then increasing again through the night. The constant W/WSW wind is strong with gusts up to 60mph and gives a high of 11C and a low of 2C with a -6C wind chill at times taking us to below freezing. Quite possible that later the rain could fall as sleet. So, an exceptionally horrible day, full wet weather gear this morning and an early bath for Jack!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

...while we wandered along the beach in shorts and T-shirts...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was what tghe old farmers called a 'brewing day'. At 20:00 the wind had risen and it was raining steadily. First thing this morning we had even more wind and stair rod rain. I have just popped out and there is no change. We are sheltered from the wind largely because of the housing round us, God alone knows what it must be like on the exposed tops. I hope Wendy is OK, it's exceptionally wet and windy..... The glass fell all day yesterday, it's on 980mb at the moment and still falling quickly. The forecast is for wall to wall heavy rain easing slightly from 13:00 to 16;00 but then increasing again through the night. The constant W/WSW wind is strong with gusts up to 60mph and gives a high of 11C and a low of 2C with a -6C wind chill at times taking us to below freezing. Quite possible that later the rain could fall as sleet. So, an exceptionally horrible day, full wet weather gear this morning and an early bath for Jack!

I had evidently reached the limit of the little Canon camera! This is the best I got and is the bed of the beck below the dam. You'll just have to take my word that it's running over the cill more than a foot deep and is the highest I have seen it for years.
Expect local flooding and perhaps power outages during the day. It's a wild morning and will get worse during the morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't know how it happened but I lost the account of the walk. It was as bad as expected. Jack wet through, me dry because of good choice of clothing! We are warm and dry now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

At the moment we are sheltered from the worst of the wind as it is coming from a southerly direction, once it turns more westerly we will feel the full force! I can't see out yet, but there is no water inside....
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Come and feel our warmth, and paddle on our golden beaches... :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I spoke too soon, rain finding its way through the roof into one of the bedrooms, unfortunately it's Col's office, full of computers and electronic stuff. Deep breath ......
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 09 Feb 2020, 07:51 I spoke too soon, rain finding its way through the roof into one of the bedrooms, unfortunately it's Col's office, full of computers and electronic stuff. Deep breath ......
Oh no!
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Glad I had the foresight to lay my bins down last night...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Situation under control...nothing important got wet. It looks like it's blowing in under the ridge tiles and finding its way across the damp proof membrane to weak spots like the light socket and the large beams that run the length of the house. Nothing to do but keep emptying buckets and changing towels. Hoping the water pouring down the hill behind keeps flowing away from the house! Every land drain is overwhelmed.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a small leak as well Wendy but due to water running down the back wall (outside!) like a river. It's stopped now. Glad to hear from you, I was thinking about you. The wind is to change after dinner and the worst of the gusts are later this morning. Hope you are lucky.
We've just had our second walk, just as bad as earlier, standing water on the green all over, blocked gulley grates and the fire engine has just goner out on a shout, from the relaxed way they left I suspect it's because of standing water somewhere.
It's bad weather. Only one thing to do. have my sausage eggs and beans for breakfast and go back to bed!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Aye...good idea...sounds like a doona day...don’t forget the bleach!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

No fears of melanomas and UV skin cancer over in Barlick. No being burnt to a frazzel like one of Jack's sausage's. Just lash yourself to the mast and sing ' The Stormy Winds Do Blow' with gusto and feeling.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Water is coming out of the drains, outside the Hare and Hounds, down here in Foulridge.
1581242707222.jpg
Facebook is reporting the A56 is flooded near the punch Bowl and the fire service are 'pumping out' at Foster Road and the new culvert at Meadow Way looks to be a success. The RR football field is flooded but the level is a lot lower than previous years...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Facebook is also reporting the M65 is closed at Colne.

Looks like laying the bins down was a good idea, they're still there :-)
20200209_114400.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Water coming up out of the drains once flooded the road outside our house in the Somerset Levels. It was lapping up on the concrete to our garage. All was safe except when idiots in 4x4s drove fast through it and sent a bow wave up the ramp!

When I was a kid in Blackburn heavy rain sometimes blew the cast iron covers out of their holes in the middle of the road on some of the steepest hills.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Seasons”