TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Stanley »

Lovely illustration of what a difference 500ft can make Wendy. I this case to your advantage. Half an hour later we still have the fog.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley wrote: 29 Sep 2020, 07:02 Lovely illustration of what a difference 500ft can make Wendy. I this case to your advantage. Half an hour later we still have the fog.....
It seems to be draining away rather than lifting! It usually comes up the Clough past us but not this morning. Just thinking that 20 years ago there were at least 3 chimneys in Barlick rising through the mist.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We’ve got a mist, not a thick one, and it’s beginning to clear now.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Love all the photos....thank you.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It did eventually clear and we had a very pleasant afternoon. At 20:00 it was dry and we had a bit of breeze building. This morning first thing, dry with a clear sky, a light breeze and an almost full moon in the west. Still the same now. The glass tells the story, it has fallen during the night to 1005mb. The forecast is for significant rain to arrive around 08:00 and persist until late tonight. The constant southerly wind rises to become brisk by late morning gusting to perhaps 35mph. It gives a high of 12C and a low of 7C with as much as -4C chill at times. Outlook is for a couple of dryer days then rain again on Saturday. October weather!
05:15. An early walk. Cool, dry and breezy, we have lost the clear sky, cloud has come in from the south and all the signs are that the forecast of rain is right.
The flagging round the Jubilee Fountain is finished, no sign of reinstalling the lamp on top yet but that is probably close. It's all looking tidy and I think it's going to be an improvement.
07:00. light rain, a very angry red sky in the SW and a perfect semi circle rainbow in the NW. Long time since I have seen as good a rainbow.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had second walk. No doubts about the day now, its cold, windy and raining. In the last hour the cotractors have removed the barriers round the fountain. Looks quite tidy.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think we can all agree that yesterday was wet and windy! First thing this morning the sky was clear, it was calm and the flags were drying. I've had my early walk and it's still the same. The glass is down on 992mb and still falling slowly I think. The forecast is for a dry day with plenty of sunny spells. The wind is light and mainly westerly but could swing about later as it drops even further. This will give a high of 11C and a low of 5C with a brief spell of -2C wind chill when the wind is WNW. The outlook is for similar weather but watch out for rain and wind on Saturday as a very strong low pressure system moves North from the Continent briefly. However that could affect the South more then us.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not a bad day at all yesterday. At 20:00 it was calm cool dry and almost clear. Same first thing this morning but now we have scattered high cloud with it. The glass is down slightly on 989mb. Yje forecast is for a cloudy day with perhaps some light rain late morning and early afternoon. The constant NE wind will be light to moderate and gives us a high of 12C and a low of 10C with as much as -3C wind chill depending on wind strength. I think we are being lucky, the low from the Continent, storm Alex, is giving the South and the Midlands some wet nasty weather. That rain, but not the wind, will reach us tomorrow and the rest of the outlook is similar weather to today.
05:40. I've had my early walk, it is calm, cool, dry and their is enough scattered cloud to obscure the stars. This is a good walk for October!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Again, an acceptable day yesterday, even the late showers were light enough to be ignored. At 20:00 it was calm, cool, dry and overcast. Same first thing this morning and so far this hasn't changed. The glass is almost unchanged on 991mb and steady. The forecast is for significant rain to come in by 06:00 and be with us all day, in fact there is a yellow warning for it. (I've just popped out and light rain has just started, the heavier rain could be earlier than forecast.) The wind is a constant light northerly all day giving a high of 13C and a low of 9C with a -2C wind chill.
The outlook is for similar wether but slightly cooler and the yellow rain warning extends into tomorrow. Could be a good day for indoor activities for those of us who have the choice.
05:35. Back from my early walk. Cool, calm, overcast and light rain, not sufficient to demand a waterproof but gradually increasing. Looks as though the forecast was right!
06:00. We now have steady significant rain. :sad:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was wet, it rained all day. At 20:00 it was still raining and was the same first thing this morning. The glass has fallen like a stone and is almost down on 970mb and still falling. The forecast is for the rain to cease about now and the rest of the day to be cloudy with an occasional light shower. (I have just checked and it hasn't changed yet, still significant rain.) The constant NE wind is light becoming moderate later. It gives a high of 13C and a low of 9C with a -2C wind chill. Whatever happens, we are in for a cold damp day. What puzzles me is the fact the wind isn't stronger with the low pressure.
05:20. Back from an early walk. Calm, cool, overcast but not raining, it has stopped dead on schedule!
The Shipping Forecast tells a story, gales in almost all sea areas. Funny we aren't getting it here. Perhaps we are at the centre of the low.
[I'm beginning to suspect my barometer is reading on the low side.]
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The barometer in our weather station is reading 984.76 or 29.08in. I have 2 old barometers in the house, one says 27.8in and the other 28.3in. :smile: Whatever, its low!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And all that matters in the long run is how the pressure is moving. As you say, it's low. I always take note of the reading at Ronaldsway on the IOM and this morning it was 984. I'll keep an eye on it before I make any adjustments.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Damp over here, but stopped raining and only a light breeze.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We're dry now Gloria. Looking at the national forecast we are lucky, lots of rain about today in other parts. Peter in Somerset has been getting more than his fair share and wind as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I keep looking in the charity shops for a replacement barometer (the old one fell off the wall) I do miss looking at one. I think they're fascinating.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We now have clear blue skies and sunshine, for the moment at least.
Gloria
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Had a run up to Appleby in Westmoreland this morning to pick up a Fleabay purchase. 15 degrees and sunshine, it's very nice out.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday turned out to be a very acceptable day with good sunny spells. Far better than most other parts of the UK! At 20:00 it was still nice but just a few drops of rain. First thing this morning it was calm dry and overcast and there has been a very light shower during the night. There's been no change since apart from a very light breeze and the overcast seems to be broken. The glass is up on 983mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day, exactly the same forecast as yesterday in fact. I may have been right about being in the centre of the low, the wind today is a constant westerly, tending to the north at times, starts light then moderate giving us a high of 13C and a low of 9C with a -2Cchill all day. If it turns out the same as yesterday we will not be complaining. The outlook is for similar weather but a touch cooler.
05:20. Back from a pleasant walk. It's cool, dry and we have a very light NW wind. The high, thin scattered cloud has plenty of clear patches and we have stars and a bright, almost full moon. It's looking good so far. Very acceptable for October.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was very good, I even saw a couple ragged off and sunbathing in their back yard in our back street. At 20:00 it was mild, calm and dry. Same first thing this morning, lots of clear sky, a good moon and stars. Having looked at the forecast I went for an early walk and was back home before 05:00, there is more cloud and a light breeze, I have little doubt that rain is coming in. The glass is up slightly on 985mb. The forecast is for a wet day. The constant SW wind is moderate and gives a high of 12C and a low of 9C with a -2C wind chill all day. The outlook is for cooler weather and watch out for wind and rain on Friday.
08:00. The rain did come in a bit later. I've just had second walk complete with light rain and another perfect rainbow. It's gone now as it has stopped raining.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was not bad but very seldom reliably dry. At 20:00 it was calm and raining, same first thing this morning. Since then the sky has cleared, we have a moon and stars and it has stopped raining, the flags are drying up. The glass has risen steadily and is almost on 1000mb and still rising. The forecast is for a cloudy, mostly dry day with some sunny intervals. The wind is a brisk westerly gusting to 30mph giving us a high of 11C and a low of 8C with a -3C wind chill. The outlook is for similar cool weather but not a lot of rain except for Friday when we could have a wet windy day.
05:20. I've had my early walk. Cool, breezy and dry. There is light high cloud blowing in from the west but the moon is still visible. Looks as though the forecast could be right. Wrap up warm though, that's a lazy wind, it would rather go through you than around!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Again, though cool, yesterday was a very acceptable day with good spells of sunshine. At 20:00 we had light rain and first thing this morning it was significant rain. I've just looked outside and it is still cold and wet. The glass rose a bit yesterday but during the night it fell back to 998mb and is still falling. The forecast is for the rain to cease around 05:00 and the heavy overcast will slowly clear until the late afternoon when we could get sunny spells. The moderate wind starts as ENE but ends the day as WNW giving a high of 11C and a low of 6C with a -2C wind chill. During the night heavier rain will come in and tomorrow will be cold and wet. After that is is drier but generally cold. The clearer the day, the lower the night time temperature. We are slowly moving towards morning frosts.
05:20. Back from a cold wet walk. That's about it really. One thing I noted yesterday, the lamp off the top of the Jubilee Memorial is lying neglected at the back of the new flagging in Town Square. Time someone breathed on it I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 08 Oct 2020, 03:15 One thing I noted yesterday, the lamp off the top of the Jubilee Memorial is lying neglected at the back of the new flagging in Town Square. Time someone breathed on it I think.
According to the Town Council meeting last night. Attended by only 6 from 14 possible councillors, although 2 have resigned. It is going to have a new lamp on top. I am all for colloquialisms, however I do wish that they would refer to it with it's correct title, "Queen Victoria's Jubilee Fountain" rather than "Old Gormless"! I think they use the latter so that there are no references to having to put water through it. :extrawink: There seems to be a huge mountain and a raft of unsurmountable H&S against any suggestion of actually using it for what it was intended.
The TC seem to be making a meal out of co-opting two replacement councillors, deferred for another month to tweak the paperwork for the application form. I watched the meeting live on YouTube but switched off after one and a half hours, I was loosing the will to live. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have moved to calling it the Jubilee Memorial, seems more accurate. Did anyone think of sending the lamp to the Repair Shop on TV? I'll bet they'd have done it.
Yesterday turned out nice again. At 20:00 it was still dry. First thing this morning it is dry with light broken cloud. The glass rose all day yesterday and is steady on 1009mb. The forecast is for rain to come in before dawn for a couple of hours then a day of sunny spells and showers, some of them heavy. The wind is a moderate, variable and gusty westerly giving us a high of 9C and a low of 5C with as much as -4C wind chill at times this afternoon. It's an improvement on what they were forecasting but still a cold damp day at times. The perceived temperature will get as low as 2C this evening so wrap up warm! The outlook is for similar weather but drier.
05:10. A bracing walk. Breezy, cool, dry and a clear sky, Moon and stars visible. Will it be the same in an hour?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The rain came in as forecast and the rest was as predicted. At 21:00 it was cold and raining. First thing this morning it was temporarily dry but started raining a 3AM and hasn't stopped since. The glass is up slightly on 1013mb and seems steady. The forecast is for rain until late morning and sunny intervals thereafter. The wind will be NW and moderate giving a high of 11C and a low of 5C with as much as -3C wind chill. Very similar to yesterday. The outlook is for similar temperatures but brighter and drier perhaps. Wrap up warm!
05:30. Only one good thing to be said about this morning's walk, the rain has eased a bit. Cold, breezy and light rain. Deep Joy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday brightened in the afternoon and at 20:00 it was dry and cold. First thing this morning it was calm, cold and clear with a good crescent moon and stars. I've had my early walk, still clear cold and calm. The glass rose slowly yesterday and this morning is on 1020mb and still rising. The forecast is for a clear sunny start to the day, cloud building later but staying dry. The wind is a constant light NW giving a high of 11C and a low of 6C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is for similar weather, cool and mainly dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”