TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Whyperion »

Do the plants in the northern latitudes grow faster to make up for the cool start to summers , but longer daylight in the hopeful clear summer months ? Most down south the flowers, have been, and gone.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very warm in the afternoon, and at 20:00 calm mild and dry. This morning it's mild, a very light breeze and an overcast sky but dry during the night. The glass rose very slightly yesterday and this morning is on 1012mb. The forecast is for a bright overcast day with frequent sunny spells and chance of a light shower later. The light east wind is constant until it backs into the north this evening giving a high of 21C and a low of 13C with a negligible wind chill. Outlook is still for stable and similar weather.
05:30. Light breeze, 100% overcast but mild and dry and the Swifts are flying high, always a good sign.
The low which is influencing our weather is centred in Fastnet to the south of Ireland and by midnight tonight will be in Sole which is further south. That's why the glass is rising slowly.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 14 Jun 2020, 20:45 Do the plants in the northern latitudes grow faster to make up for the cool start to summers , but longer daylight in the hopeful clear summer months ?
I'm pretty sure that most plants are like a lot of people and don't do much thinking or forward planning. Neither do they have little inbuilt clocks to tell them to start on a particular date or get a move on. Basically they react to environmental conditions, temperature, moisture, light and nutrients. Gardeners are forever pushing the boundaries of these conditions and making plants do something they don't want to do. I know because I'm fighting nature every day.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The musing was (and many adapt), normally faster growth forms larger cells (see ring trees) that may be less strong (see milk thistle!!), a longer lead into growing season gives more time to build strength in cell walls and joinings, wondered if there really were structural differences, though plants only really need to grow enough to get to seed without getting ill or eaten (bit like animals too I suppose)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice day yesterday, more sun and less wind than forecast, no showers. At 20:00 it was overcast, calm, mild and dry. Same this morning. The glass is steady on 1011mb. The forecast is virtually the same as yesterday, bright overcast then sunny intervals and showers later. The wind is a light easterly but could be variable this afternoon. High of 20C and low of 13C with virtually no wind chill. Could be brighter and drier like yesterday. Outlook still for similar weather for next 5 days.
05:30. A very quiet calm dry walk under an overcast sky, misty distant views. Shirt sleeves and waistcoat! What's not to like. The trees are at maximum green, so restful for the eyes. All told a lovely morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Same story yesterday, better than the forcast, the afternoon sun was very hot!. At 20:00 it was calm, mild and broken cloud. First thing this morning mild calm and overcast. Still the same. The glass is down slightly on 1009mb. The forecast is for a dry, overcast but warm day with sunny intervals and a strong chance of thunder around 18:00. The wind is a constant light easterly giving a high of 20C and a low of 12C with very little wind chill. The outlook is for slightly cooler weather but still acceptable. Remember June 1932 was when we had the event on Whitemoor and the flood!
05:40. A very quiet green Valley Gardens walk. 100% overcast, a light breeze mild and dry. My load of washing on a hot setting is finished. All told a good start to the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Once again we dodged the thunder yesterday. At 20:00, light breeze, 100% overcast and dry. Same first thing this morning and no change since. The glass is rock steady on 1009mb. The forecast is for another overcast day with the chance of a shower any time after 09:00. The light wind is NE but because the low is coming up off the continent to the south it's not cold. However the high will only be 15C and the low 12C with very little chill. The outlook is for warmer weather as the wind swings into the SW and an increasing chance of thunder over the weekend and into next week.
05:55. A very quiet walk on an overcast morning. Slightly cooler that of late, I have put my shirt on again! Dry up to now but I can well believe that rain is in the offing. We certainly need it, the ground is very dry.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thin k we can agree that yesterday was a wet day. By 20:00 the rain had stopped, we had a light breeze, mild and overcast. Same first thing this morning and so far no change. The forecast is for a dry start but by noon rain will be coming in and will persist for the rest of the day. The wind is interesting, it starts very light in the east but during the day gradually backs until by this evening it is SW. It is this change in direction that brings in the rain. The high will be 15C and the low 11C with a light wind chill of -2C. This looks like a change in the weather as from tomorrow we start to warm up. It looks as though the Atlantic systems are getting the upper hand again.
05:40. A quiet dry walk, calm, overcast and mild. The trees are enjoying this weather!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sue was right, more rain yesterday. At 20:00 it had stopped raining, the wind was in the west and we had broken cloud, same first thing this morning and no change as yet. The glass is rising slowly and is on 1012mb. The forecast is for bright overcast and dry. The constant moderate wind is WSW and gives a high of 18C and a low of 12C with a -2C chill. The outlook is for the warm up to continue after a cooler wetter day tomorrow, they are forecasting 24C for next Wednesday!
05:25. A pleasant short walk to preserve me knees! We have a light south westerly breeze, funnily enough cooler that the NE winds we were getting. It's dry and 50% overcast, a heavy bank of cloud persisting in the east was blocking the early sun but it has cleared now and we have sun. It could be a better day than the forecast!
Today is the longest day...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A nice bit of sun to welcome the first day of summer. We have until just past the middle of September to enjoy it. :smile:
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

London, Rain, Sun, Cloud, Rain, Sun (repeat). Unhelpful have to time between showers to get out and do necessary oddments.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Far better day than forecast until it started to cloud over in the afternoon. At 20:00 it was breezy, mild and overcast. First thing this morning we have rain form broken cloud and a breeze. The glass has fallen back to 1006mb. The forecast gives rain until around 08:00 then sunny intervals with the chance of a light shower any time. The moderate and gusty wind is mainly SW and gives a high of 16C and a low of 10C with a chill of -3 when the wind is strongest. Later today this phase fades and we are promised much warmer and brighter weather next week.
05:45. Back from a short wet walk. The rain was significant when we went out but thankfully bated a bit and the wind dropped as we went out. 100% overcast and a stiff breeze from the SW. Not nice but given we have a warm spell coming, just what was needed for growy conditions.
Two things grabbed me, first was some blue signs in the Pioneer Car Park urging people to keep 2 metres apart and the second was this....

One has to wonder why a substantial flag pole with a St George's cross has appeared on the end house in Co-operative Street. Even in the relatively light wind this morning it is bending and one wonders how much thought has gone into the strength of the erection! Looks a bit dodgy to me.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Only one wet walk yesterday, otherwise fine and hot sunny spells between showers, ideal growing weather. At 20:00 it was dry, breezy, mild and we had broken cloud. This morning it was calmer and the sky was clear, coming light at 3AM. It's still the same, we shall have early sun. The glass rose all day yesterday and is on 1016mb. The forecast is for early sun and overcast this afternoon, if it follows the usual pattern of our forecasts it will be better than this. The SW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 20C and a low of 14C with a -3C wind chill at times. The outlook is for warmer sunnier weather for at least the next five days.

05:45. Casting a long shadow in Valley Gardens this morning. Mostly clear sky, some thin high cloud, a fresh breeze and all told a lovely morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was right, generally overcast but still a pleasant day. At 20:00 we had a westerly breeze, broken cloud, dry and very mild. Same this morning first thing, Just looked out and it's still the same. Glass is rock steady on 1016mb. The forecast is for an overcast morning and full sun later. The constant SSW wind is moderate and gives a high of 23C and a low of 14C with only a slight wind chill. The outlook is for some very warm weather for the next few days. Wonderful growing weather, the grass is shooting out of the ground on the Green!
05:45. A pleasant walk under an overcast sky, mild dry and a light warm wind. It could be much worse. The temperature is going to depend on when the overcast breaks and the forecast yesterday was accurate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was overcast all right, late sun in the afternoon cheered things up a bit. At 20:00 we had a light breeze and clearing sky, warmer outside than in the house. This morning first thing calm mild and a clear sky. Still the same. The glass is steady on 1017mb. The forecast is dead simple, wall to wall sun all day. The southerly wind is light and we can expect a high of 28C and a low of 15C with no wind chill. The outlook is for two days of similar weather then a rapid cool down from Saturday onwards.
05:35. Back after a perfect Tee shirt walk on a lovely morning. Calm, clear and full low sun. That's about it. This and better will do! Enjoy the day, by Saturday we shall be back into 'normal' Barlick summer.
One cautionary word. Today's and tomorrow's weather is extreme in Barlick terms and it was weather like this that preceded the cloudburst on Whitemoor in 1932. This isn't to say the same thing will happen, just a caution to remember the possibility. Not a bad idea to review your drainage arrangements.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Just had our second walk, lovely out there! It's 75F in old money in the shade in the backyard already.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was hot by anyone's standards! At 20:00 it was calm clear and warm. Same this morning and it hasn't changed. The glass is down a touch at just above 1016mb. The forecast is a re-run of yesterday apart from the fact that the wind has backed into the east and will be a touch colder. The high will be 26C and the low 16C with a -2C wind chill to cool us later in the day. The outlook is for the hot weather to continue for a couple of days but cooling slightly and with thunder warnings. Then it cools down a bit with a change in the weather from Sunday onwards.
The pollen count is again very high. Commiserations to those who suffer hayfever.
05:30.

These two pics say more than I can. It's a nice morning, calm, clear and full low sun. It will be a good day.
One worrying thing, I met one of my mates with his dog. Weight is rolling off him and the doctors tell him it's good because it is taking pressure off his bad knee but he is still having to use a crutch. We'd all like to lose a bit of weight but not like that!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

UV levels predicted much higher than usual for the UK today. Beware, wear a hat and keep skin covered or use high factor sun blocker.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always wear a hat but admit to exposing my arms to two short bursts of the rays. I came across the concept of a 'Farmer's Tan' in the Mid West. Face hands and back of the neck tanned, the rest white. That'll do me, gone are the days when I soaked the sun up.

Yesterday was as hot as Wednesday and at 20:00 it was calm, clouding a bit but warm and humid. First thing this morning it was calm, mild and high broken cloud. Just looked out and there is less cloud now, sky mostly clear. The glass fell slowly and steadily all day yesterday and overnight, down to a shade over 1006mb. The forecast is for a dry bright overcast day but chance of a light shower after midday and thunder later. The light easterly wind backs into the west round about the time we expect thunder this afternoon. The high is 25C and the low 13C with no wind chill. In fact at one point in the afternoon the wind is warmer than the ambient temperature, never seen that before.
The outlook is for us to cool quickly down to a possible 13C high next week and more chance of rain.
05:30. A pleasant short walk. It's calm, we have high thin scattered cloud and low sun comes in from the clearer sky in the east. At the moment the signs are that we will have more sun than forecast but we'll see. Keep an eye on that possible thunderstorm this afternoon.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The forecast was accurate yesterday, overcast mainly, hot and some sun later with a mini thunderstorm about 5PM. At 20:00 overcast calm and warm. This morning first thing we had overcast, calm and slightly cooler. Just looked out, it's still calm and overcast and now we have light rain. The glass is on 998mb and falling slowly. The forecast is for a right mixture, some sun, lots of showers and chance of thunder again this evening. The wind starts light and variable but settles down as a moderate southerly giving us a high of 18C and a low of 10C with a varying wind chill depending on wind strength of up to -3C. Tomorrow and Monday we crash down to about 12C with rain and after that back to warmer showery weather with sunny intervals for the rest of the week.
05:10. We went out early. Cloud has broken and it's stopped raining. Not a lot to report, very quiet, nobody about at all. One thing I noticed.... the flag on Back Co-operative Street is no longer St George's Cross it is now black with a red logo, because there is no wind I can't see what it is.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was wet and miserable but still warmish. At 20:00 it was raining, breezy and cooler. Same this morning and I've just looked out, the only change is the wind has dropped, still raining. The glass is down on 994mb. The forecast is for a cold wet windy day. The constant SW wind will be brisk and gust up to 45mph giving us a high of 12C and a low of 10C with as much as -4c wind chill making it feel like single figures all day. I have put my shirt on over the tee shirt! Tomorrow will be similar and then we slowly start to get warmer and drier but no summer weather in the forecast next week.
05:30. Back from a short and very wet walk. The wind has increased and we have serious rain, I know this is no good for walkers but in truth it is just what we need. We haven't had enough serious rain, the ground is parched. This is going to set much of that right.
I see the anarchist flag has been hauled down. I suspect that the danger to the pole has been recognised.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was wet. I don't think it has stopped raining for any appreciable amount of time for over 36 hours. Same first thing this morning and so far no change, just steady rain and a breeze. The glass is hovering around 995mb. The forecast is essentially the same for today, continuous rain until mid afternoon when it starts to dry up and improve a bit. The constant WSW wind is brisk and again there could be gusts of over 40mph giving us a high of 13C and a low of 11C with a wind chill of as much as -4C making it feel like never more than 9C all day. The outlook is for a slow improvement starting tomorrow but no heat wave.
Lousy weather for being outside but actually just what we needed, we have had a very dry Spring. This is a proper soaking and the ground was parched. In the long run it will be a good thing for gardens and crops.
06:15.

This pic says it all. More water coming over butts Dam than there has been for weeks. When we went out it was throwing it down so I told Jack we'd do a quick trot round the Green and back home. But it bated so we did Valley Gardens and yes, you've guessed it! It started pouring down again. Never mind we got our pic.
I note that Amelia's Attic and NW events has had a short life and Happy Duck across the road is looking poorly on Church Street.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Absolutely foul day with constant rain and 30 to 40mph winds. I brought the ponies inside this morning for a break from the weather as they were wet and cold despite being rugged up. As the rain has eased, but not the wind I've just but them back out. They didn't thank me for keeping them warm and dry!

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They look like they're having a great time Wendy :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely, what a good way to start the day. Is Dennis the larger one in the brown raincoat?
It stopped raining about 2PM but as Wendy says the wind persisted. At 20:00 the clouds were breaking slightly, wind dropping a bit and the flags were dry. This morning we have calmer cooler weather and light rain. The glass is up slightly on 998mb. The forecast is for a cloudy showery start and brightening later. The wind is a moderate WSW, less gusty then of late. The high is 14C and the low 11C with a -2C wind chill so a touch warmer. The outlook is for the slow improvement to continue but no heat waves forecast!
05:15. It stopped raining so we went out. Light mild west wind, very fine mizzle but hardly enough to be called rain. It's not cold and the cloud is starting to break. Looks better than yesterday!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”