TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 10:10 I have the barometer app on my phone synchronised with Leeds Bradford Airport which is a bit nearer the same level as us here in Barlick.
My barometer app uses GPS and connects to the nearest available weather station, unfortunately it doesn't show me which one that is
Screenshot_20211101-115222_Barometer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Mine is Accurate Barometer also GPS location based and it selects the nearest airport or you can set your own. It gives you two readings, one from the airport and then another adjusted for altitude difference via the GPS location of the device.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I just tap the glass, no batteries required!
Yesterday tried to improve around dinner time but soon gave up and started raining again. It was still raining at 20:00. First thing this morning, guess what? That's right, still raining. I've just popped out and it has stopped and the sky is clearing, we have stars! The glass is up on 989mb. The forecast is for a bright dry cloudy day. The Mainly SW wind is light and gives a high of 9C and a low of 4C with a -2C wind chill. The outlook is mainly dry and bright, expect a frost tomorrow night.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So do I cos I have one of those as well. The phone one is portable and it doesn't use AA's :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon deteriorated into cloud and isolated spatters or rain, you couldn't really call them showers, just annoyances. At 20:00 it was the same. First thing this morning it was calm dry and overcast, a fact that might have saved us from a frost. The Glass is up on 998mb and rising. The forecast is for a dry, bright overcast day with a chance of a light shower in the early afternoon. The constant mainly NW wind is light and gives a high of 8C and a low of 2C tonight with a -3C wind chill. Tomorrow will be bright and cold but after that the week warms up and we retreat from cold weather for a while.
05:00. Just like yesterday we have light rain which wasn't forecast.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How does this compare with everyone else's?
Screenshot_20211103-141316_Barometer.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That would have been in line with my barometer then Kev.
Yesterday was a cold but dry afternoon and at 20:00 it was still breezy and dry. First thing this morning it was clear, calm and cold, I suspect a grass frost later. the glass is up on 1009mb and rising. The forecast is for full sun for most of the day. The wind is a constant moderate NW giving a high of 7C and a low of 1C with a chill of -4C at times. For much of the morning it will feel like 0C. The outlook is for slightly warmer temperatures but mainly settled dry weather apart from a chance of rain at weekend.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 01 Nov 2021, 12:00 Mine is Accurate Barometer also GPS location based and it selects the nearest airport or you can set your own. It gives you two readings, one from the airport and then another adjusted for altitude difference via the GPS location of the device.
I've downloaded the same one now Ian and upgraded to the non advertising version.
Screenshot_20211104-085141_Accurate Barometer.jpg
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

We are currently being bombarded by a massive solar storm. Lancs University aurora alert level ramped up to a red event 327.6nT at 9pm last night. That level of intensity was triggered by a cannibal CME. That is a solar ejection closely followed by another which consumes the first increasing the intensity by the time it reaches our magnetosphere. It dropped back to green at 11pm, amber at midnight then back up to red at 267.3nT at 1am. Yellow, yellow, amber, amber, amber each hour up to 9am when it has ramped back up and is currently red 254.2nT. :cool4: :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I didn't understand any of that Ian. Probably a good job or I would be worrying myself to death.
Yesterday afternoon gradually clouded over but it was still a pleasant day for November as long as you were wrapped up. At 20:00 it was cool and clearing and first thing this morning we had a clear sky and a nippy morning. I've just looked out and it's clouding over at the moment. The glass is up on 1019mb. The forecast is for a cloudy but dry day. The wind starts as a light WNW but during the day increases and becomes WSW giving us a high of 10C, a low of 9C and a wind chill of -3C. Expect a rainy day tomorrow and then very similar weather to today for the rest of the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday we had some very light rain late in the afternoon and at 20:00 it was damp and mild. First thing this morning it was still damp, we had a light wind and it was mild and overcast. It hasn't changed since. The glass is steady on 1018mb. The forecast is for rain this morning, a sunny interval break at noon but by 13:00 expect heavy rain all afternoon. The brisk SW wind gusts to 40mph but is mild and gives a high of 11C and a low of 7C with a -4C wind chill at times. The six day outlook is for similar temperatures to today but drier and brighter.
Listening to the Shipping Forecast reminds us how lucky we are. Winds in the Northern Waters round the Shetlands and Iceland are forecast to reach violent storm force 11. Thank God we haven't got to face that.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday afternoon was atrocious, horizontal heavy rain. By 20:00 it was clearing and dry but the wind persisted all night. First thing this morning it was mild, clear, dry and very windy. The wind has dropped a bit since, it's cloudy and we have very light rain. The glass is down on 1012 but rising. The forecast is for a cloudy but dry day. The mainly WNW wind is brisk and constant and gusts to 35mph at times. The high is 9C the low 4C and the wind chill will peak at -4C. The outlook is for similar weather but slightly warmer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a dry afternoon but that wind was strong and cold! At 20:00 it was still windy and the sky was clearing. First thing this morning it was dry, we had a light breeze and the sky was clear. Just like yesterday it is now clouded over. The glass is up on 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry but cloudy day. There could be a spell of light rain in the late afternoon. The mainly WSW wind is light to moderate and gives a high of 11C a low of 10C with a chill of -2C. The outlook is for similar weather, no dramas in the forecast.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was dry and breezy but not as cold as the day before. At 20:00 it was dry and we had a light breeze and a clearing sky. This morning we had evidence of a light shower during the night but a clear sky with lots of stars but since then it has started to cloud over. The glass is steady on just under 1015mb. The forecast is for rain to start around 09:00 and persist all day. The mainly SW wind is mild and moderate gusting to 30mph at times. We have a high of 12C and a low of 9C with a wind chill of -3C at times. The outlook is for very similar weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning we had mizzle but now it's light rain....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Sally and I started our walk in light rain, it got heavier and heavier and the clouds came right down. We was drownded!!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the afternoon ended with serious rain. At 20:00 it was breezy, damp and overcast. This morning we have a light breeze and it's overcast, the flags are damp but it's not raining. The glass is up slightly on 1017mb. The forecast is for a dry overcast day. The light SW wind gives us a high of 11C and a low of 6C with -1C chill. The outlook gives similar weather for the next six days but rain on Friday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday the afternoon was dry apart from a very light rain shower late on. At 20:00 it was calm, clouded and mild but dry. First thing this morning it was the same and hasn't changed. The glass is steady on 1019mb. The forecast is for a clouded but dry day. The light southerly wind gives us a high of 11C a low of 9C and a wind chill of -2C at worst. Almost a carbon copy of yesterday. The outlook is for rain and wind tomorrow and then back to today's weather for the rest of the week.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a bit damp in Clitheroe but not serious. At 20:00 it was calm and clouded but still not raining. First thing this morning, as promised in the forecast, it was wet and windy and hasn't changed. The glass has fallen to 1003mb. The forecast is for rain all day. The SW wind is brisk and gusts to 40mph giving a high of 11C and a low of 8C with a -4C wind chill for much of the day. The outlook is for more settled weather like Thursday's. Forget the walking challenge for the day Wendy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Yes I think I might avoid another soaking! Yesterday was OK, sunny in the morning and overcast but dry in the afternoon when Sally and I had our walk.
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Raining over here in West Lancs also, looks like it could be one of those days where it never comes proper light.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a lousy day, better chance today Wendy I think!
Yesterday was wind and rain. At 20:00 it was still wind and rain. First thing this morning it was less windy, clouded over but dry. The glass is up on 1007mb. The forecast is for a dry day with some sun. The mainly NW wind is light and gives a high of 11C a low of 5C and a chill of -2C. The six day outlook is for boring dull cool and mainly dry weather. Nothing exciting at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Beautiful, sunny morning over here in west lancs, good day for a walk.
Gloria
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was a very acceptable day. At 20:00 it was calm, clear and dry. First thing this morning it was the same and there has been no change yet. The glass has leapt up to 1020mb. The forecast is for a dry day with some sun this morning but increasing cloud as the day wears on. The light wind starts in the West but soon moves to ESE and gives a high of 11C and a low of 6C with hardly any wind chill. The outlook is unchanged, more of this mild unexciting weather. Suits me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Much the same here today as yesterday, very, very bright.
Gloria

Return to “Seasons”