TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

plaques
Donor

Re: TODAY'S PENNINE WEATHER

Post by plaques »

Who would believe that after sowing grass seed my biggest problem is keeping the ground damp. Three hours of sunshine is turning the soil to dust. Can't believe it. :surprised:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Rain tomorrow down South and a weather front from the SW with a band of rain for us on Wednesday.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It was a lovely evening here...
20200427_185659.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All told it was a lovely day, beautiful fluffy cloudscape and still like that at 20:00. Same this morning, calm dry and broken cloud. The glass is down a touch on 1004mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with light rain this evening. The wind is a moderate easterly and gives a high of 8C and a low of 5C with a -3C wind chill. It starts warming a bit tomorrow but this cooler outlook is what we have in prospect for the next week.
05:40. We've had a good Valley Gardens walk, calm, cool, dry and overcast. Dawn and daylight a bit late coming in but just getting started now. No pedestrians at all about but more cars than of late. The birds are still noticeably louder and singing their hearts out.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It threatened rain yesterday afternoon but didn't get round to it until evening and then only light. At 20:00 it was raining on a light east wind and first thing this morning it was the same. I've just looked out and it has stopped, could be a dry walk. The glass is down again on 1001mb and still falling. The forecast is for heavy overcast all day with rain expected this afternoon which will clear to sunny intervals this evening. The ESE wind is light to moderate all day giving a high of 10C and a low of 6C with a -4C wind chill when the wind is at its strongest in the middle of the day. The outlook is for similar weather for the next five days but perhaps warming very slightly.
05:20. We were out early for social distance, it worked, only one pedestrian. Nice morning, It's calm, overcast, mild and not raining but there has been a nice wet during the night. The grass will like it!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very noticeable this morning that the rain during the night has triggered new growth on the green. Amazing what a light shower can do!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sunny spells in the afternoon but light showers as well! at 20:00 we had broken cloud, a breeze but dry. Same first thing this morning. The glass is down on 985mb. The forecast is for a cloudy early morning then showers and sunny intervals for the rest of the day. The wind is southerly and moderate giving a high of 10C and a low of 5C with a wind chill that could be -4C at times. The outlook is for similar weather but on the whole warming up slowly.
05:30. We're back from a dry walk on a cool morning. Light breeze and broken cloud. very acceptable. One pedestrian, two cars and one freight plane East Midlands to Edinburgh. Otherwise, all is quiet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yesterday was cool and showery but we saw quite a lot of sun! At 20:00 we had a light breeze, it was cool but dry but threatening rain later. First thing this morning we had broken cloud, a light breeze and it was dry after a recent shower. It's still dry and we have already been for our walk, cool but dry and coming light. The glass is down on just below 988mb. The forecast is for a cloudy day with sunny intervals and a chance of heavy rain for a while this morning. The west wind is light at the moment but rises to moderate for most of the day giving a high of 10C and a low of 5C with a -3C wind chill when the wind is strongest. The outlook is for the weather to improve gradually and become warmer.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It was a cool day yesterday but bright and growy, you can see the grass moving. At 20:00 we had a light breeze and broken cloud, dry and cool. First thing this morning it was the same and there has been no change. The glass is rising and is over 1000mb and rising. The forecast is for a dry cloudy day. The west wind is constant, light to moderate and gives a high of 13C and a low of 5C with a -2C wind chill for most of the day. Warmer and growy.
The outlook is for more weather like this and getting warmer. Looking good for growth, always a worry when we get the east winds at this time of year.
06:00. A pleasant walk, cool, dry, a light west wind and lots of clear sky and scattered high cloud coming in from the west. The sun will be out shortly when that sky reaches the east. Very quiet, one pedestrian and very little traffic. Looks like a settled day, good for the gardens and the grass.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We've had a short walk on the Green and it struck me that there are worse places to be than Barlick this morning!

I did this pic yesterday outside Cravenside. The ornamental Cherry petals are like a snow drift.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks to a benign west wind, yesterday was very pleasant. At 20:00 it was breezy but dry with breaking cloud and mild. First thing this morning it was clear as a bell and calm, it's come in cloudy now but is still calm and dry. The glass is up on 1011mb and still rising. The forecast is for a mostly dry cloudy day with some sunny intervals. The wind is light and swings all round the compass giving a high of 13C and a low of 5C with negligible wind chill. The outlook is for continued improvement, more sun and warmer as the week progresses. Good settled weather!
06:00. A very good daytime walk. Dry, calm and mild. The cloud is interesting, different levels and different types of cloud, a real mixed bag. One pedestrian walking dogs and one van. A quiet Sunday morning.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We have had a short walk on the Green. A beautiful morning, sunny and calm, a pleasure to be out there. Jack enjoyed it as well!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No complaints at all about yesterday! At 20:00 it was dry, mild and we had a light west wind. First thing this morning it was calm, mild and overcast. No change since and 100% overcast. The glass is steady on 1015, up slightly. The forecast is for a cloudy day with an occasional sunny spell and after midday perhaps an occasional light shower. The light to moderate wind is easterly and gives a high of 11C and a low of 5C with up to -3C wind chill at times. The outlook is for warmer, sunnier weather over the next five days.
05:30. Back from one of the best things I do for my health each day, my morning walk! Very pleasant, daylight, calm, mild and dry but overcast. No matter, it was a pleasure to be out there! No pedestrians and only a couple of cars, there can be no doubt that apart from the supermarkets the town is dead. One can't help wondering what the eventual result will be, I don't see any possibility of a swift bounce-back.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Forecast as overcast, we had quite a lot of good sunshine yesterday. At 20:00 we had a light east wind, broken cloud, dry and mild. First thing this morning clear sky and a good moon. It hasn't changed since. The glass is up on 1020mb. The forecast is for a bright sunny day. The moderate wind is easterly and this cools us down a bit, a high of 12C and a low of 1C with a wind chill of up to -3C. The outlook through to Sunday is for much warmer weather. We are doing well for the time of year and no late frost to bite the fruit blossom as yet!
06:00. Back from a very pleasant walk. Cold enough to make your breath mist but calm, dry and perfectly clear with the sun coming in from the East. Nothing to complain about at all except...
Some dick came up with an imaginative way of disposing of some waste oil. They walked through Valley Gardens dribbling it out on the paths and grass and reaching a conclusion by ditching the 5litre container in the middle of the road in Butts. I admit to being baffled, is it just an obvious solution to their tiny minds or is it an active two fingers raised to all of us? Whatever, it is the act of a vandal.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That wind was cold yesterday morning but it did warm up a little in the afternoon, on the whole a good day. At 20:00 the sky was clearing but we still had a cold east wind, it was dry. This morning first thing (and during the night) it was clear as a bell with an almost full moon, a light breeze and nippy. The glass is up slightly on 1023mb. The forecast is for a clear sunny day. The wind is steady from the east but lighter than yesteryear giving a high of 14C and a low of 4C with a -2C wind chill at first, easing later. So it's warmer and this trend continues for the rest of the week but cooling again from Sunday.
05:30. A good walk, cold enough to make your breath steam but calm dry and perfectly clear. One pedestrian, one milk chap and two cars, the air is like wine!
I don't care what the rules say, I can't think of a safer way of taking socially distanced exercise than this. It is what keeps me straight and Jack happy. I'd recommend it to anyone (as long as you are out later than me!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

What a lovely day it is today, scones, jam, clotted cream and a chilled bottle of Cava. It'll do wonders for my blood sugars but I'm in an 'am I bothered' frame of mind today. They'll be back to 'normal' by teatime.
20200506_135014.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Kev. Wendy plays hell with me when I say it but I do believe that a little of what you fancy does you good!
Nice day yesterday mainly because of the way the sneaky east wind kept away. At 20:00 it was calm, mild and clear. We had a clear night with a full moon and this morning first thing it was lovely, no change since and a big moon setting in the west. The glass is down a touch at 1021mb. The forecast is for full sun all day. The east wind starts very light and by late morning is backing into the SW giving a high of 18C and a low of 10C tonight with negligible wind chill. It's looking like a perfect day. Two more of these days to come and then on Sunday we crash back to single figures for a day or two. This and better will do nicely! (Warmer than Margaret in Perth, WA today.)
05:40. A good walk, padded waistcoat and shirtsleeves. Calm, cool and clear. You can't expect much more! Every sign that the forecast is going to be correct and give us a nice day. Lovely!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Stanley, the Wendy who plays hell with you must live in your imagination!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I am so sensitive Wendy..... any criticism is 'playing hell'. I am a flawed man...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I always thought that the damage caused by diabetes was like a ratchet. once it went 'click' there was not turning it back all you could do was try to stop it happening again.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 07 May 2020, 08:59 I always thought that the damage caused by diabetes was like a ratchet. once it went 'click' there was not turning it back all you could do was try to stop it happening again.
I'll always have it, my hba1c has been 'normal' for a few years now and, according to my GP, if I presented now I wouldn't be diagnosed as having it. It can be infuriating not to eat certain food groups but it's worth it in the long run...
:ot: I know but...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It's a lovely morning, just sat out in the sunshine for coffee.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Diabetes going 'click'. Same here P but now I know that there are degrees and up to a certain point it's reversible.
Lovely day wasn't it Kev. At 20:00 we had broken cloud and a light breeze, dry and mild. Same first thing this morning but clearer now with a lovely moon in the west. The glass is down slightly at just below 1016mb. The forecast is for a cloudier day but that could be a west coast forecast, we'll see later. The westerly wind is light and gives a high of 18C and a low of 8C. Another good day tomorrow and then the cold spell hits us on Sunday.
05:35. It was overcast by the time we went out bit calm, mild and very pleasant. A thin shirt and a waistcoat were quite sufficient. (I had been considering putting the Crombie in the wardrobe but looking at the weekend forecast I have left it hung on the door.) Four young people passing though Valley Gardens with no social distancing, some don't seem to think it's important. Apart from that the Artisan Baker delivering and Mr Hutchinson making his pies in Newtown were the only people about. Some low sun coming in from a gap in the cloud in the east but we'll see how it develops.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Later... The sky cleared and we have a glorious day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At 20:00 it was mild and calm with broken cloud. First thing this morning it was mild and the sky was clear as a bell, I've just popped out and it's still clear except for a trace of very high thin cloud in the east, coming light already. The glass is down a touch on 1013mb. The forecast is for a sunny day. The wind is very light, starts in the north, tries a bit of east and settles down as a westerly. The high will be 20C(!) and the low 7C with negligible wind chill. Tomorrow is a different story altogether, NE wind, single figures and heavy cloud, that's the story for the rest of the week but warming slightly later. So enjoy today!
05:35. Nice walk, calm, mild and a mostly clear sky but quite a lot of high cloud to the east blocking the early sun. A big moon setting in the west and clear over Barlick. Hawthorn in bloom in Valley Gardens, blackbirds busy with sex and sadly a small patch of black feathers, a bird has met a cat I fear. Everything growing well.
In the town I keep forgetting to mention that William Hill have left the old Midland Bank in Newtown. The door is boarded up but as yet no for sale or lease signs. Looks like another fine building looking for a use. Difficult to see what that could be.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Seasons”