Wildlife Corner

PostmanPete
Regular User

Re: Wildlife Corner

Post by PostmanPete »

plaques wrote:We went to a wedding the other week at Gretna Green (not ours we have already done our 50 years stint). The groom insisted that the brides ring was delivered by a barn owl which flew the length of the church. Very romantic.

Hoots Mon..........! :grin:
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Can't you just imagine the look on a 'wedding organiser's' face if asked to provide this service....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0894.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That Muncaster Owl looks like an old-fashioned school headmaster.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Cathy wrote:That Muncaster Owl looks like an old-fashioned school headmaster.
Many times they are depicted as scholarly wearing mortar board and gown with a whippy cane tucked under the wing, I can see it too.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Continuing the owl theme, a young volunteer for Raptor Rescue displays one of the smaller Owls.
PHOT0462.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Here's an Giant Eagle Owl in Barlick. Eagle Owl
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Thankyou Tripps enjoyed that, I bet the owl did a lot of preening after all those sticky fingers.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Doc had a big Eagle Owl up at Prospect for about three years. Big skein of geese over the town yesterday at 07:00. Looked to be going from Whitemoor to day roost at Greenberfield. I love to see and hear them.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0312.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

We came across this creature high up in the Welsh Black Mountains, brave little Charlie drove him off with some loud barking.
PHOT0798.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0262.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0264.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

This is the moment when love passes from a mother to a chick. In reality the sun flares off a water droplet falling from the mothers beak.
PHOT0248.JPG
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I went down to my local duck pond today and fed the ducks and smaller birds. At one point I concentrated on throwing my dried bread at a mother duck and her four ducklings. She lets them feed first, then took a piece of bread herself. She also warded off any other ducks that came close to taking food from her ducklings. I know it's normal but it is quite impressive to watch. This duck pond has a decking area with fencing, away from the lawned area, I always put much smaller pieces of bread on the top of the railings for the tiny birds which are more airborne and tree dwelling. Everyone is happy. :)
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

There is a lot of pleasure in feeding birds. My home made bird table was replaced with a modern feeding station a couple of years ago, this enables different birds to find their requirements at the various levels. Each morning Mary tops it up then we stand and watch with a cup of coffee, and see who comes.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

Free range ponies on the welsh coastal path Cardigan bay.
PHOT0026.JPG
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0002.JPG
LizG

Post by LizG »

I'm going to show my daughter that one!
Liz
LizG

Post by LizG »

Took this in Ilkley.
Liz
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The image of the horse being washed was taken at Cotebrook Shire Horse Center Cheshire in 2005. This is a wonderful place to visit with lots to do, the admission goes towards the protection of this noble breed. It has an internet site. Love the bee picture Liz when you see them close up they are like little teddy bears.
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

PHOT0429.JPG
LizG

Post by LizG »

Can someone tell me why my photo doesn't show up without clicking on the link? What did I do wrong?
Liz
LizG

Post by LizG »

Let me try another. This fellow was wandering across the back of the house.
Liz
hartley353

Post by hartley353 »

The favourite of fairy story writers, Fly Agaric. Not one to be eaten, and is rarely fatal if eaten, but does have hallucinogenic properties. The young fruit is covered in a veil which when it disintegrates leaves fragments these are the spots on the surface, and not integral to the cap.
PHOT0160.JPG

Return to “Animals and Pets”