Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: PET'S CORNER

Post by Wendyf »

A beautiful photo!
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

For the first time ever we are animaless, no horses, no dogs and no cats. It’s a strange feeling, new found freedom, but a big hole.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

We are inheriting our daughters dog Hettie later today until tomorrow. Our cat is already in semi recluse and hiding mode by having all three grandchildren in residence. :extrawink: Hettie is a black Springer Spaniel and she has a portable cage that goes with her on camping trips. She is quite happy sleeping in there. Sally walks her when she's does granny duties in Silsden and both of the kids are here so plenty of familiarity for her.
Ian
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

I suppose I find it difficult about horses, just being horses (OK the moorland and new forest ponies I get). We used to live not too far away from a Horse Sancturary to the North of Leeds and went to a couple of their fund raising days when time allowed. I suppose they too have fostering arrangements (we had a couple of rabbits under a foster scheme when in Barnoldswick, probably not the best but they seemed to enjoy the attick space they had , one got (and had when she arrived) one of the internal ear infections that have so many causes they are nearly impossible to treat, the other survived for a while on her own but had a heart condition, think they were about 5 years old, not much in bunny years but older than some get to.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Today we have said goodbye to our old dog Bruce. Despite being on anti inflammatories and drugs for nerve pain his arthritis was causing many problems. We had a home visit and it was Robin Hargreaves the main partner at Stanley House who came to do the deed. We have always buried our pets in the garden but Col isn't strong enough to dig a hole right now and it took some time for me to persuade him that cremation was the only way. This afternoon we visited Craven Pet Cremations in Bradley where a lovely lady called Charlotte does individual cremations for a reasonable price. We will collect his ashes tomorrow and dig a smaller hole beside all the rest in our pet garden!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So sorry to hear about Bruce Wendy. The time comes round for all family members and I am sure you have made the right decision for the old lad. Our thoughts are with you.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Hugs Wendy, you know you’ve done the right thing.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thanks Ian and Gloria, I'm just so relieved it's done. He has been hard work these last few months and tonight I hope to sleep without getting woken by him needing to go out...often too late!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Sorry for your loss of Bruce, Wendy.
Always very sad to lose our pets.
You and Col did your best for him, and I’m sure Bruce thanks you.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's hard Wendy and I sympathise but this is the price we pay for unconditional love.... Big hug.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We collected Bruce's ashes today from Bradley, they are in a cotton bag inside a woven, split willow pouch all ready to bury or scatter. I'd just like to recommend this service and the lovely lady called Charlotte who runs it to anyone local who loses a pet.

https://cravenpetcrematorium.com/
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Our cat Primrose seems to have developed night time blindness. Could be as result of her thyroid problems for which she has tablets. We noticed that late at night her pupils totally dilate and she bumps into things as he she finds her way about. We have locked the cat flap so she can't go out at night. She has had a few episodes but seems to recover overnight. Her sight is back to normal this morning.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Never heard of that Ian. It reminds me what a responsibility pets are. Not sorry to have stopped keeping dogs, they are good company but demand attention. I have enough on these days looking after myself!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

She was right as reign last night and her eyes look completely normal. I have checked with shining a light and her pupils are fully reactive as they should be. The bouts seem to be totally random. Blindness in older cats tends to be a gradual thing which is what happened to our tortoiseshell Millie, amazing how fast they adapt, she could still find her way around. It can be a product of her thyroid problems and the meds that she is on. We will probably have a word with Leanne at Stanley House to see if there are any other options.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I hope she is OK Ian. Our old, deaf, half blind cat has been waking us up at 5am howling loudly. I have started getting up and feeding her then going back to bed. Today she didn't howl but I woke up expecting it and had to get up to see if she was still alive....she was of course. :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good news their Wendy. Primrose 1s 17 now and has an over-active thyroid for which she has to have the medication. Apparently night blindness can be linked to the condition and associated meds. We are wondering if their are any alternative types.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A final journey for Primrose this morning. Her condition had been gradually worsening over the last few weeks and her blindness had become permanent. In addition to this she had gone deaf. She was due her annual checks and boosters about 10 days ago so we popped her on to Colne to see Leanne as she wasn't in Barlick that week. She warned us that her deterioration could be linked to heart problems. More blood tests would confirm but we elected not to put her through that regime again. She was just about managing with the sight loss and deafness but took a turn for the worse yesterday morning. Her breathing was very rapid and she was a little infirm on her legs. We messaged Leanne for an opinion and she said that it was probably best to let her go. She has intimated at our last visit that she would pop round as required we decided to take the advice rather than wait for the inevitable heart failure. Leanne is a family friend and she called after work on her way home. Primrose was on the settee and she was given a sedative to send her to sleep and then the injection to stop her heart, all quite peaceful and the best we could do for her in the circumstance.

Final journey today was to the Pet Crematorium at Bradley. We handed her over to Charlotte and can collect her ashes tomorrow.

Strange this morning not having the daily moggie chores but all for the best. :sad:

Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Oh poor Primrose. Bless her. She did well. Never easy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now the question is, do you chicken out and get a kitten? I didn't replace Jack and after many years of having a dog I found out what freedom from caring was like. There is much to be said for it! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

My heart goes out to you and Sally xx
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 22 Jul 2023, 13:50 Now the question is, do you chicken out and get a kitten?
That's easy, no.

Next one will probably be a rescue cat but not for a while.

We called at Bradley this morning on our way home from our stay over in Sisden to collect Primrose's ashes.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

When Fly, my Border Collie cattle dog died and was cremated the certificate caused amusement. It certified that my pet fly had been cremated..... :biggrin2:

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

For those of you that have Cats that love to lie on your keyboard while you’re trying to use it.
Here’s a good idea. 🐱😊
5A4417CB-E7DA-4F56-B946-9CA40344F218.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sally has been watching the rescue sites and has found an 18 month old cat that was surrendered because it apparently scratched one of the original owners children.

Minnie is a young black cat with a white bib and white socks and is said to be a little nervous, possible because of her previous environment in a household with three young children. She has been spayed and is currently being fostered by a lady near Fullwood. We will be meeting her at the vets in Fullwood on Monday as Minnie is due her first tranche of vaccines, which are paid for by the rescue trust. Stressful enough for a nervous young cat so it was thought best for us to meet at the vets and bring her directly home to us rather than take her back to the foster home and then pick her up from there.

Primrose was a nervous kitten when we got her as she was the runt of a barn cats litter. She was always pushed to the back by her siblings which is what drew us to choose her. She came out of her shell in the 17 years that we shared with her.

We reckon we can offer Minnie a bit more stable environment in a relatively quite area of Barlick. :smile:
Ian

Return to “Animals and Pets”