PET'S CORNER

Tardis

Re: PET'S CORNER

Post by Tardis »

There were a lot of fireworks last night, even after 9pm, which is when I eventually took Merlin out, but it was the traffic that disturbed him the most.
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Trouble is they will be going off tonight, tomorrow night and the 5th itself. Our Shih Tzu was not frightened at all even when I took him out and they were still going off, but the Jack Russell we once had was terrified and we had to give him a tranquilliser.
Say only a little but say it well.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Moh. Jack had a troubled evening but he doesn't start hyper-ventilating like other dogs I have had. He just gets into his safe corner under the table and near me and lies there very quietly. His hearing is far better than mine and he must have heard the first noises just after it came dark. He was still there when I went to bed. Big Jack the Lurcher was completely bomb-proof, in fact he liked to watch firework displays but he hated the relief valves on wagon air brakes. Funny isn't it how they vary.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Misty doesn't bother at all. We had some going off last night and there was an occasional bang and whizz but the most they got from her was her ears pricking up then back to sleep.
Strange thing happened last night though. Cath and Dan were having a drink and I stayed up a bit later than usual and had a cup of hot chocolate with them. Now I haven't had a hot choc or a late night drink for about 3 years as it was making me pee during the night. When I did used to have them I let Misty lick the mug. Last night as soon as I'd finished the drink she got up and came over to me just as she did three years ago to lick out the mug. She must have been able to smell the chocolate and it stirred the taste in her memory. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
David Whipp

Post by David Whipp »

We managed to get 6 of our 7 cats into the front room with me last night before family went up town to cinema. They were all wide eyed and twitchy. I had TV on loud, but it was me flapping the newspaper that caused one of them to burst up from where he was sitting and setting off an explosion of cats. Later on, the seventh one sauntered along, no more nervous than usual.

I'd ban public use of fireworks altogether and only have them at properly organised displays.

Speaking of which, the display at Victory Park will be at about 7.45pm this evening (Sunday) and last for just short of a quarter of an hour.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

Oddly enough David, a little terrier that lives a few doors up from me in Nelson seems to like loud bangs. It barks at every firework, especially the ones that bang and splutter, and keeps on barking until taken back into the house.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Last night wasn't too bad but jack could hear them! Hopefully we can get back to normal....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Should be quieter but there are always some idiots about.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had a quiet evening last night and Jack was able to relax. Good job because though normally cast-iron with house training he has had a couple of early morning accidents due to loose bowels. Not his fault but disheartening. Hopefully we are back in the groove again! It's a measure of how much fireworks affect him.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Nolic

Post by Nolic »

This video is hilarious. The pug has some issues with nerves or muscles in his back end but is a delight to watch and the song to "Delany's Donkey" is superb. For those with tender ears the language is colloquial Belfast.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10200168194676529 Nolic
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Loved it Nolic, thanks :laugh5:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Nolic

Post by Nolic »

Bumping up in case anyone missed this. Nolic
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Today has been a sad day. We had to say goodbye to our cat. She was nearly19 , blind, deaf, could not sit because of arthritis and had a chronic kidney problem. It had to be done but I feel very guilty
If you keep searching you will find it
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

So sorry to hear that Sue, your feelings are perfectly normal and understandable for anyone who cares for their animals. Never easy but it sounds like your cat had a good life. Nineteen is a very good age and a testament to your care.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

A sad day Sue, but you mustn't feel guilty, it was the right thing to do.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lots of us have been there Sue. It's a bereavement and anyone who doesn't understand that has never cared for an animal. Remember the good life you gave it and look after yourself.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Sad time but the cat was a good age so be proud of rearing her and loving her.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I've been to the vets with Alfie this morning. The vet thinks his problem is spondylitis which is weakening his back legs. He is going on an anti inflammatory drug which should help.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

Thanks for your support everyone. It seems strange in the house. It's the first time in 27years that we haven't shared our home with a cat. We have only been catless for 5 years of our 42 married years
Hope Alfie is ok Wendy
Last edited by Sue on 08 Feb 2013, 17:42, edited 1 time in total.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Poor Alfie. Jack sends his best.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Thank you Jack. Alfie has gone for his usual walk around the fields with Col, and is already looking a bit easier. We will just have to plan our walks to avoid narrow stiles and the places where he used to crawl under gates.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was thinking about Alfie this morning as I watched Jack in the freezing rain doing what he does best, running round and sniffing out anything of interest (usually where a bitch has had a pee!). He's over five years old now and has settled down into a very predictable but active dog. He has a definite character and is a good companion, he knows when he can oin me to play with him, and is bedded into a routine that suits both of us. In other words a perfect companion. That got me to thinking about old dogs and the price we have to pay when their short lives end and they leave us. Bit like Sue and her cat, the loss is terrible and yet we accept that when we take them on. A friend of mine had to put her horse and an old dog down in one week and she told me it was the worst time of her life. Anyone who hasn't kept an animal has difficulty in understanding the scale of the loss when a companion animal dies but they also don't understand the comfort and joy that animal has given over the years. This was when I thought of Alfie. I hope he has some good time left to him and wish him all the best. What will I do when Jack reaches his sell-by date? If I'm still here I shall get another terrier and go through the whole thing again! Mind you, when I got him Mrs Marsh started to say that he would last me out but then stopped herself! We had a good laugh about it. Eigg the Jack Russell bitch almost reached 19 years.... So when I get to around 90 years old I may have to have a rethink!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

She was a very petite cat but our house is very empty without her. She tended to sleep most of the time because of her age but its the little routine things we miss like her getting off the settee at 11.0 pm stretching and looking at us to open the door so she could take herself to bed, and looking at us as if to say why aren't you going!
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's tough Sue. Will you be getting another?
Alfie is responding well to the Metacam, we can already see a difference. He did two field circuits with Col yesterday without stiffening up at all and I'm sure his back has relaxed slightly.
We have always replaced our animals quickly and the enjoyment of a new cat or dog gets us over the grief. It's always there, and I can still well up at the thought each and every cat we have had and lost. My lovely pony Dennis will be 30 this year, and I shall miss him dreadfully when he eventually has to be put down but I wont be able to replace him. We cant afford the upkeep and I'm getting too old.
Sue
VIP Member

Post by Sue »

I say no at the moment Wendy, as we do tend to go away rather a lot and it is a tying commitment for other people to feed the cat whilst we are away.perhaps in a few years

Return to “Animals and Pets”