THE FLATLEY DRYER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Big Kev »

I bought some double layer walking socks from a shop in Skipton, unfortunately it's closed down now which is a shame as they're starting to wear out. I've not found anything similar to fit my feet since.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the time my kids thought they were the best thing since sliced bread and I think it was Roger Perry that bought them. You've got to admit they were different and colourful.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They used to make furniture out of this stuff but it's Flatley Dryer country now!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's post is perhaps heresy. Could it be that the Flatley Dryer, or a variant thereof, might be due for a comeback? In terms of clothes drying, like the overhead rack, they are the slow cooker of the drying world. Far less energy used and kinder on clothes than mechanical dryers. You've only to look in the lint trap of one of these to realise how hard they are on clothes.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thinking back to when I was a lad, the only time we had anything on our feet other than leather shoes or sandals was when we were made to wear 'pumps' at school for gym lessons.
I think leather shoes for children are a thing of the past. (And so are 'gym' lessons too!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Depends what you classify as gym lessons. The school my son works at has a physical education department with gymnasium, sports halls, outdoor athletics facilities, ball game pitches and swimming pool.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Are all schools similarly equipped? I was under the impression that provision had decreased.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

He did a teacher training placement at West Craven High School in the PE department, couldn't comment on any other schools though.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

All the schools I have worked in or had dealings with have had sports facilities. Some more extensive than others of course. The Sixth Form I worked in had PE and was a popular subject at A level it had indoor and outdoor MUGA's and a climbing wall as well as astro turf pitches etc.

I don't think they start all sports sessions nowadays with a 3 mile cross country though which they did when I was a lad. :extrawink:

When Chris Whale arrived at Barlick Modern as an NQT he introduced circuit training in gym sessions and proper rotations of field sports and athletics. He was well liked unlike the sadist we had before.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Unlike the sadist we had before".... Oh dear! Sorry about that Ian.
Cross Country.... At my last school we had to 'Gym Masters' as they were called then, Beckwith and Gosling and they both believed in the magical properties of the cross country run for the awkward squad who for various reasons weren't good material. Two friends and me asked if we could go for a cycle ride instead as we were into bikes. They said yes as long as we got a chitty signed at the police station where we got to to prove we weren't cheating. The first Wednesday they let us do it (Wednesday afternoon was devoted to sports) we went to Llangollen, 130 miles round trip. Give the deadly duo their due they realised we were serious and after that never needed to produce evidence.
Flatley Dryer Country?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

The "teacher" who preceded Chris Whale was just a plain bully. Cross country first even if it was supposed to be a gym session. If you got back mucky (because it was chucking it down), which was unavoidable you couldn't go in the gym. Straight in the showers which he would turn to cold when everyone was in there! When he was on break duty if he caught the odd skirmish between lads they were made to meet in the gym after school and fight it out with gloves until one couldn't stand up. I do remember one of the bigger lads decking him one day when he had had enough, that was shortly before he left and we got a proper Sports Teacher who encouraged all levels of ability so you looked forward to PE sessions.
Ian
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Ian. I can't remember the teacher before Mr Whale although I was there at the same time as you.

I used to enjoy cross country but then again I'm daft...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not necessarily Mick. My youngest daughter was an ace cross country runner when she went to West Craven. She would have been 56 this year, there when you were?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

MickBrett wrote: 28 Nov 2021, 23:47 Ian. I can't remember the teacher before Mr Whale although I was there at the same time as you.

I used to enjoy cross country but then again I'm daft...
Turner.

So did I Mick but not the way it was implemented on a whim rain or shine
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Far more civilised in Burnley. If it was unfit to play football or too dangerous that the bus couldn't take you to the swimming pool they sent you on a cross country run. The teacher would jump in his car and to quote Brian Hanrahan's famous phrase 'would count you out and count you back' but making sure you reached the farthest most point.
MickBrett
Donor

Post by MickBrett »

Stanley wrote: 29 Nov 2021, 03:40 Not necessarily Mick. My youngest daughter was an ace cross country runner when she went to West Craven. She would have been 56 this year, there when you were?
1965 to 1969 so no.

I'll be 68 in 2 days time
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Many happy returns for Wednesday Mick. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just a couple of days younger than me Mick. Many happy returns for tomorrow. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I decided on this for today's Flatley Dryer object but to my surprise found that in certain competitive cycle races the fixed gear is still mandatory. I remember in my cycling days we used to laugh at members of the 'Other Club' to whom a fixed gear was an article of faith while we swanned about with the advantages of the new dérailleur gears that became available after the war. I still think that a fixed gear is masochism!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 01 Dec 2021, 04:40 still think that a fixed gear is masochism!
And so is no mudguards. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree, that stripe of muddy water up the back is of no use to anyone.....

Deep fat frying used to be the chip pan....Still a good way to fry and used in many commercial kitchens. But I often wonder how many fires were started by neglected chip pans. The great thing about a modern dedicated deep fryer is that it is thermostatically controlled and as long as the systems are working, cannot overheat. Speaking as a man who has had a fat fire in his kitchen my message is if you are going to cook this way, have an efficient fire extinguisher handy that is a decent capacity. That's what saved me!

Definitely not my finest hour.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

After my fat fire I got the extinguisher serviced and refilled and it guards my hob to this day. Not the most visually attractive thing in the world but when you need it, your best friend!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Over the years responsibility for much of our local infrastructure has moved from what used to be the Barnoldswick Urban District Council to bodies further afield like Pendle, Preston and even the private sector. I accept that in many cases this is necessary for efficiency but would like to see more local input in the control of these elements of daily life. Such participation in management is now Flatley Dryer country. We are no longer trusted to be accountable.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Quite a lot of the local facilities are now managed by the Town Council and not the Borough. All the civic facilities so to speak, Rainhall Centre, Town Square management, Civic Hall, Victory and Letcliffe Parks and the Public Conveniences, Christmas lighting etc. They get a lot of money to do it. Sub contracted so to speak to the voluntary Barlick in Bloom group all the town flower beds are looked after. Town Council also manages all the allotments around town. Pretty much like the old BUDC regime but we don't have our own drain cleaner.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or Road Gang and steam roller or going even further back a gas works and a water supply.
Biggest factor of all was that rates paid in the town by business went to BUDC, all that goes out of the town now.
Remember it was BUDC that installed sewers, gas, water, electricity and paved the roads from the late 19th C onwards.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”