HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Stanley »

It happens Cathy, don't let it bother you!
Something that struck me yesterday listening to a lady interviewing another lady about her lockdown experiences and she expressed surprise when the interviewee mentioned wearing her jeans for more than one day without washing them. There is evidently a large part of the population who believe that terrible things happen if you wear an item of clothing twice! I knew about this of course but of course don't subscribe to it. You don't die! The same applies to not having three showers a day! It's no surprise to me when I hear of people complaining about dry skin, what do they expect of they scrub themselves with powerful detergents over and over again?
I remember a friend of mine in Minnesota who was a GP with the Mayo Clinic telling me about a rash of young men coming to him with skin complaints. He finally nailed it down to a very powerful germicidal soap guaranteed to clean all the 'germs' off your skin and according to the advertisements sure to make you irresistible to women. Once they stopped using that they recovered.
Makes you wonder how we survived on one bath a week on Friday night!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Cathy wrote: 12 May 2020, 06:06 It was swamped by other posts and not referred to. 😩. Never mind.
Happens to me all the time, Cathy! :extrawink:
Stanley wrote: 12 May 2020, 06:38 He finally nailed it down to a very powerful germicidal soap guaranteed to clean all the 'germs' off your skin and according to the advertisements sure to make you irresistible to women.
I had to stop using the soap. It didn't irritate my skin but too many women found me irresistible! :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 12 May 2020, 06:38 It happens Cathy, don't let it bother you!
Something that struck me yesterday listening to a lady interviewing another lady about her lockdown experiences and she expressed surprise when the interviewee mentioned wearing her jeans for more than one day without washing them. There is evidently a large part of the population who believe that terrible things happen if you wear an item of clothing twice! I knew about this of course but of course don't subscribe to it. You don't die! The same applies to not having three showers a day! It's no surprise to me when I hear of people complaining about dry skin, what do they expect of they scrub themselves with powerful detergents over and over again?
I remember a friend of mine in Minnesota who was a GP with the Mayo Clinic telling me about a rash of young men coming to him with skin complaints. He finally nailed it down to a very powerful germicidal soap guaranteed to clean all the 'germs' off your skin and according to the advertisements sure to make you irresistible to women. Once they stopped using that they recovered.
Makes you wonder how we survived on one bath a week on Friday night!
Chris Witty and co are suggesting that the virus can hang about on clothing and that washing them after being out is probably a good idea
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Cathy wrote: 12 May 2020, 06:06 I popped a post on the Coronavirus Topic about how some of us might find it a bit hard to return to ‘normal’ when we are allowed to.
It was swamped by other posts and not referred to. 😩. Never mind.
I did see it and mentally noted that Australia is on a different, by politics, population and time, on a different pathway compared to other countries, and the UK in particular. I cannot see certainly a 'London' / Urban , 'normal' with many social gatherings that might be tried after lockdown but I think it wont be seen to work, i can live simply, but I would like some more interaction before I shuffle off, what and how the Grand-Children will do or cope with I dont know, I am thinking of suggesting they try to go to New Zealand, it cannot be any worse than living in Croydon now or an England of the Future.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

New Zealand won’t be accepting any international visitors for quite a while Whyperion! :biggrin2:
Neither will Australia.
We are sorry for your troubles, but don’t want them thanks...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't forget to be glad of the light! Lockdown would be much worse without it. It was broad daylight when I went to bed last night, remember when it was dark at 15:00?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Marilyn wrote: 13 May 2020, 01:33 New Zealand won’t be accepting any international visitors for quite a while Whyperion! :biggrin2:
Neither will Australia.
We are sorry for your troubles, but don’t want them thanks...
I meant as permanent, after allowing for appropriate quarentine
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

New Zealand is a beautiful country.
We could live there ( :sad: but the exchange rate for our dollar isn’t good). But we have had several long enjoyable holidays there.
I can’t say a wrong thing about New Zealand at all. We love it.
( and their butter is to die for!)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's not easy to find, not a lot is made but if you see it try Whey Butter. Has a very good nutty flavour. It's made by cheese makers who separate their whey and make Whey Cream, in itself an interesting product. Look for Singleton's brand from Chipping. Very good.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Funny how some things pop into your mind, this morning it was related to dusting. A friend of mine lived in rather a grand house with an entrance hall in which the main item of furniture was a very nice circular mahogany table. As we went in one day she threw out the long skirt of her outdoor coat as she passed it, very effectively dusting it. She said she was a slut at heart and that was all she ever did to dust it. I thoroughly approved and have never forgotten it. I can see her doing it now.
I find it reassuring as I get older that memories like that are so well preserved in my head. I may be wrong but I think it's a good sign that you can recall things like that. Today's tip is to encourage retrieval like that, it can only do your brain good!
One other related tip. I remember once apologising to Janet because I was wasting my time playing Solitaire but she said that was wrong as it was 'brain gym'. I still like the game and remember her saying that often.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's tip is an oldie. Disregard the trend in modern cooking to cut down on cooking times, a consequence of the need to fill orders quickly in a busy kitchen. 'Overcooking' of meat is the best way to ensure that any dangerous bacteria are killed by high cooking temperatures. Think of salmonella in chicken. I follow my mother's example and cook it until it falls off the bone. It may dismay trendy cooks but it is safer and personally I enjoy the meat more. Forget bloody steaks also, make sure you have reached a high enough temperature to kill the bogs!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I remember an old Scots farmer once telling me to "Lie close to a bottle of whisky!" when I had a cold. I haven't got a cold but have just had one of my occasional sensations of single malt. Today's tip, If you are not on absolute top form, a slug of whisky can trigger a bounce back! That and my morning coffee will do the trick!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The single malt did it! No evidence of course but I often wonder what such a complex mixture of micro-nutrients contains and how it works.
My mind is on 'boredom'. We educate children badly it seems. So many people are reporting real distress when divorced from their normal daily routine. It suggests to me that these are the same people that do so badly in retirement. They haven't the facility for 'self-starting' mental activity. So today's tip is be curious, try new activities and cultivate thinking and enquiring. In the end it leads to a quiet and productive life even if you are 'locked down' and self isolating. I have found no problems so far
(That's a smug post if ever there was one!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

My Sciatica has been behaving itself for weeks now, I am very happy to report.
I do wake up stiff and sore between 3 am and 4 am ( this has always been a constant problem since herniating a disc).
I try to psyche myself into not reaching out for the Paracetamol ( always next to the bed “just in case”.). I lay there trying to reinforce just how comfortable our bed actually is, and cast my mind back to memories of childhood when I had awful/cold/damp bedding. I try to soothe the ache believing things are so much better nowadays.
But I often fail trying to psyche myself into believing I am comfortable, and have to give in to swallowing the Paracetamol.
Such is life. No medals for those that choose to be pain hero’s!
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I feel for you, I did suffer sciatica for a long time. These days it’s restless leg syndrome for me, usually once or twice a night. There’s no formula of why it happens. Due to frustration of trying every position I can think with no relief, I get up and walk and walk. I have a routine of ‘circling’ my affected leg and kicking it out.
It’s not possible to ignore a leg that is aching and jumping about , all by itself. 🙁
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I get very occasional “restless leg” but I don’t think I have the awful restless leg that some have. Mine is just a nerve irritation in the one affected leg, where I get a burning or itching or twitching/spasm (drives me insane when it happens and I really want to go to sleep). It is all part of my nerve damage....it is not actually happening in the leg, but in the spine.
Sometimes getting up and walking barefoot on a cold tiled floor helps.
( I dread getting it on a long haul flight. Nowhere to go!)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We both have long-term sleep problems and they're not being helped by the stress of lockdown and the other effects of the covid situation. We walk every day but I haven't been to a shop since back in March. We've both got plenty of hobbies and interests to keep us occupied and keep us from thinking about the virus and its medical and economic effects but I think we probably worry subconsciously.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

I often find that my mind has a mind of it’s own, if that makes sense 🤔. Meaning that instead of my brain going thru stuff and throwing it out while I’m asleep, it does it while I’m trying to fall asleep (and ignore it at the same time). The thoughts aren’t significant, as in worrying about something, they are just there in my mind, keeping me awake. 🙁
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Funny thing is that hubby has had severe toothache, and that kept us awake for three nights running. ( he is the type to put the light on, stomp about the room and complain loudly if he has a problem. If he is awake...we are both awake).
Then..last night ( finally) he slept well. But I was awake all bloody night. It was so frustrating because I had nothing bothering me at all. I was warm and comfortable with no troubling thoughts. I just simply couldn’t sleep. Finally got up and had a cup of tea at 5am ( which didn’t disturb him), but still couldn’t sleep on return to bed. When hubby finally woke at 7am, I said “ I am pleased to see you as I finally have someone to chat to. It has been a long night!”
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Some years ago I read that lettuce helped with sleep problems due a component called lactucin. I tried eating a large amount of lettuce but didn't see any useful effect. Lettuce seed oil is sold in the Far east for help with sleep - perhaps Chinatyke knows about it? :smile:
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

A few mouthfuls of milk sometimes helps. It seems to have a calming effect.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Milk helps if you have reflux/tummy problems...but last night I didn’t have any problems, and no pain or anything. Just a very odd night, where for no reason at all, I simply couldn’t sleep. Very strange.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 18 May 2020, 10:13 Some years ago I read that lettuce helped with sleep problems due a component called lactucin. I tried eating a large amount of lettuce but didn't see any useful effect. Lettuce seed oil is sold in the Far east for help with sleep - perhaps Chinatyke knows about it? :smile:
Sorry, I've never heard of lettuce being used for that purpose but a quick search on Bing returned Chinese wild lettuce being used for insomnia. I don't have any problem sleeping so I have never had to resort to medication. I don't use traditional Chinese medication or subscribe to yin/yang and balancing foods and all that stuff. Eat a variety of foods and sleep well, that's my experience.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading these posts reminds me of how lucky I am! Yes, sciatica can be a bugger and everyone has their own ways of dealing with it, an old enemy but hardly ever happens now. I have great sympathy for anyone who can't sleep. I have known it happen occasionally but so rare it doesn't count. I just go the bed and lie down! I know that many of you would give your eye teeth for that.
So sympathy for you all but beyond that I am helpless.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I usually sleep well, and I doze off as soon as the head hits the pillow.
We both slept like logs last night. Hubby sees the dentist tomorrow, thank goodness. ( we found one back on deck, but his usual dentist is still AWOL)

Return to “Nostalgia”