HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: HOUSEHOLD TIPS NOT FOUND IN WOMAN'S WEEKLY

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 03:30 I detect a flaw in that thesis Pater. Are you saying that I'm never annoying?
:laugh5:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 02 Aug 2020, 08:42 We have now been brain washed into thinking that everything has a direct monetary value. Why spend a couple of hours mending something that costs less than a £pound. Throw it away and buy another. Alternatively trying to repair it may give you two hours of satisfaction and the knowledge of how things work. Pleasure at this personal level is always worth having.
That's why I have a toaster with screws in. :extrawink:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had the same experience today! We had an ultra bright torch, bought cheaply, and it has two beams, which are incredibly useful while camping in a dark spot. Hubby tried to use it today to check ( of all things) the silicone seal in our shower. I took the torch off him, as it was not it’s usual bright light, found I had to remove screws, expecting some weird battery. ( we have had this camp torch about 3 years and I never expected to find what I did)...hee hee...3 AAA batteries! Simply replaced.
Job done. We have a lot of little torches, but this one has been brilliant for about 3 years. Finding 3x AAA batteries inside was amazing, considering the light it has given for that length of time. An amazing bit of kit, when I think of the life it has had, and how much use we got out of the original batteries. It lives on now, with new batteries.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

LED clusters that they use in many torches nowadays, don't use a lot of current and are considerably brighter and more powerful than comparable incandescent torch bulbs.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My light sabre is powered by a cluster of three rechargeable AAAs. Bright as a modern car headlight!
I'm with Ken and Ian, the ability and equipment to tackle repairs and resurrect something that is useless ("You can't get the parts") is one of the most satisfying occupations I know.
Today's tip is to build up this expertise and equipment during your productive years. When you retire it will become useful in another way. It will preserve your brain and physical functions far longer than the ability to buy a new one online. I am convinced I wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the shed!

Portrait of a happy man.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's easy to relax vigilance in the kitchen. Don't allow it to happen! I am still doing my daily Sink Fairy routine with bleach and detergent. Is is doing any good? I don't know but so far so good, no infections of any kind.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I do my sink and taps, all the work surfaces and the island and also wipe the fridge and freezer doors handles and all the drawer and cupboard handles. Vileda cloths are good for that. I use spray bleach. Reminds me, time to put the plastic sink drainer through a dishwasher cycle. I do that once a week or more frequently when I have a bit of spare room. :smile:
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Gosh Panbiker...you are true husband material. A “keeper” as they say.
Febby! Are you listening?!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That's nice to know, gives me a warm glow inside. :biggrin2:

Like my dad used to say, "Any bloke that can't look after himself is warn a useless" :smile:

I baked a batch of scones and two Bloomer loaves yesterday just for an encore. :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Couldn't agree more Ian. The wife of an old friend once told me she had never ever ironed his shirts. He has always done them himself on the grounds that he didn't see why she should be burdened by the task.
Today's tip. You can always tell a bloke who cleans his own lavatory, he sits down to pee! It isn't a sign of effeminacy, just common sense!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ah, but the `teapot' doesn't empty as well in that position as your doc told you! :smile:
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

( I clean the toilet every morning...) could be the teapot’s fault...who knows... :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Peter, that's why my favourite position is leaning on the window cill of the workshop in the back yard! (I have this theory that emptying your bladder as well as possible is an advantage if you are subject to cancer.)
Today's tip is triggered by something that Susan said yesterday (we have such good conversations). She was commenting on how nice it was to see Muthomi and Jess being so open with each other and discussing their aims together. She said that she puts it down to the way I have always interacted with my kids, treating them as adults and being open with them. She reckons it has rubbed off onto Jess and she has influenced Mo. That was nice to hear.
(Nothing like a pedicure for promoting a conversation...)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't complain about the weather. Listening to the forecast we are lucky in having sunny but supportable conditions. Other parts are far hotter and in consequence less comfortable. Lots to be said about being in the Northern foothills of the Pennines.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

By Tizer... She's more left than right but is essentially ambidextrous. You might think that would make life easier but in practice it means she's more likely to confuse left and right. Using a screwdriver was made easier when she learned `righty tighty, lefty, loosy'.)
Same rule but under different conditions. If I ever have to put a screw or nut on something from what one may consider the wrong side, ie: your hand is behind something and the nut or whatever is coming towards you then use your right hand to fasten left hand to unfasten. The natural spin between thumb and finger gives the correct rotation.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

True Ken, and after a life time mechanicking second nature.
Triggered by families post this morning. When in doubt, over communicate. I see so many families drift apart because they don't talk to each other. This was driven home yesterday in my conversation with Amelia, the researcher at Finders International. Her assumption was that there was a good chance I didn't know Leslie had died. She said that so often she was the bearer of bad news. I think she was surprised by how much I knew about what was going on in the family, I told her we actually talk to each other!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

One of my father's sisters died shortly after the birth of her first child at the beginning of WW2 and the father was then called up to the RAF. Grandma brought up the child during the war. After the war father re-married and took over the child's welfare etc. We used to see them often when I was very young but then the family moved to the other side of town and we saw them less often. Later father moved with his work to Barrow-in-Furness and we saw little of them after the 1960s. The child grew up and had 3 boys and a girl. In 1996 we moved to Somerset and then found out from my parents that the girl, now married and with her husband, had also moved here and was living about 10 miles away! We got together and ever since it's been a great relationship! She now has two girls, a teenager and a 20-year-old. Since we moved to Taunton we live about 10 minutes walk apart and help each other in many ways. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's so easy to lose touch Peter. That's why I occasionally make contact with people I haven't heard of for a long time. It's always worth it!
Today's tip, don't be put off contacting people just because they haven't contacted you. Bite the bullet! I remember Vera once telling me she had passed an acquaintance on the town and she never spoke. I asked her if she did..... Such a small thing to do.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Don't be too envious of the fact that the South has been getting much hotter weather than us. This isn't necessarily 'better'. They may also pay a heavier price than us this week because the hotter the weather, the more violent the thunderstorms and local rain can be. Look for headlines of extreme events in the next few days.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

We've got thunderstorms forecast for 4 days this week but hardly any rain!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Me...I do love a good thunderstorm! Especially at night, when I roll the blind up and let it fill the room. Something quite primal about a thunderstorm...(a nice time for a snuggle).
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have the lightning map up at the moment. SW around Tiz and the other side of the Bristol Channel in Wales with an odd discharge up on Anglesey. Gradually working it's way up Cardigan Bay. I will pop upstairs shortly and disconnect my antennas in the radio shack.

Real Time Lightning Maps

Zoom in/out with the mouse wheel, click and drag the map.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Woke this morning to sheets of lightning, rumbles of thunder and heavy rain. Had a look at Blitzortung and there are thunderstorms marching up the Ribble Valley but no strikes near us at the moment.
Today's tip. If you note that your old dog can hear distant thunder because he is disturbed by it, ask yourself the question "Is he deaf or just ignoring me?" :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If the weather is unusual, as is the case this morning, 70F in old money at 05:00 and the promise of sun and 28C later, don't over exert yourself. This is not the day for lawn mowing! Make sure you take it easy and drink plenty of water.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are many advantages to living in the middle of a row of stone built terraced houses oriented to the south and north, (The row running west to east). The kitchen faces south and gets the light and sun during the day (80F yesterday) while the front room facing north was a very acceptable 70F yesterday evening. Worth considering if you are buying a house.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”