THE FLATLEY DRYER

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Big Kev »

I must confess that my 1961 Ford Prefect 107E (OHV rather than side valve 998cc engine that was in the 100E) had the 1500cc engine from a mark 1 Cortina GT and the close ratio gear box fron a Corsair 2000E. The exhaust comprised a 4 into 1 long branch manifold, a straight through 2in pipe to the rear exiting via a 'cherry bomb' silencer. It was a bit loud but had the performance to go with it.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

There were exceptions of course but not the two over confident (cocky) lads we took £20 off when they challenged my mate Dale with me on pillion to a race from the Tomato Dip in Skipton back to Barlick. They though they had it in the bag when Dale offered them a two minute start. :extrawink: Was a very interesting journey on a bored out and race tuned 750 Norton. :smile:

The A59 was still the twisty road rather than the straight trunked variety of today.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

With regard to the A59, was the bit by Broughton Hall realigned at some point?

There's more work going on there at the moment, the Broughton Bridge is undergoing major refurbishment
https://www.northyorks.gov.uk/news/arti ... ion-scheme
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Have a look at this side by side view Kev.

https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/side-by ... =ESRIWorld
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

They certainly straightened the road out, thanks for that Wendy.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I wasn't even aware that bridge existed, I must never have used it or if I have I have forgotten.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

You would only use it if you used the back road over to Broughton from Elslack. The bends that they straightened out by widening the road in front of Sulphur Wells seemed a lot more twisty than the map shows. I think it was the fact that the entire road was only about half the width it is now with high bankings at each side so it always felt more enclosed. The main good bits on a motorbike was the sharp left hander over Aire bridge and another just on the brow of the hill before the Bull at Broughton then the bends beyond. No roundabout up to Thornton, Earby and Barlick just a T junction, quite a few accidents there.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 09:40 No roundabout up to Thornton, Earby and Barlick just a T junction, quite a few accidents there.
I remember the T junction at the A56/A59 junction.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Isn't it funny, I can't remember the old road at all even though I used it every day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 10:41
PanBiker wrote: 26 Jun 2021, 09:40 No roundabout up to Thornton, Earby and Barlick just a T junction, quite a few accidents there.
I remember the T junction at the A56/A59 junction.
Coming home from Carleton one night on my motorbike I remember coming across a car that had gone straight across the junction there at speed and smashed into one of the posts on the road sign opposite. Myself and another bloke who had already asked another driver to go back to Broughton and ring for the emergency services helped to keep the front passenger calm and immobile until the cavalry arrived. The driver was already dead and had been crushed by the steering wheel, not before bashing his head on the windscreen or dashboard. I remember positioning the bike with the front spotlight on the scene, you don't seem to forget stuff like that. :sad:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I would imagine not Ian.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Talking about roads before they were improved reminds me of the Glasgow road North of Carlisle before the M6 got there. There was a half mile stretch before the city boundary that was so uneven and rough that all traffic had to slow down. The theory we had was that this was deliberate and intended to slow the main road traffic down before it hit the town. At that time the A6 went right through the middle of Carlisle. Imagine that today with the amount of traffic there is now....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Came across this. No date given, seems odd clothing to be doing stunts like this. Also the title is a bit odd.

Chruch Tower. 1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Whoever it is his mum told him to put his Burberry on because it might rain.....
I agree, very strange.... (But it's Colne of course....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It's not the vicar is it?
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Perhaps a drop in vicar therefore a substitute vicar or a "vicarius" , The old vicar retired or went to the promised land. I think the current one is a Lady Vicar.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Something at the back of my mind is whispering fund-raising for church repairs at Colne.

That reminds me of the time when the choir at this church (St Paul's, Heaton Moor.) went on strike, locked themselves in the church and climbed the tower. We had great fun throwing dried pigeon muck at the vicar, Alfie Jeff, and the verger. In the end we came down,and there were no repercussions. I forget what we were striking about but I think we got it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I'm having lunch at Banny's today with a couple of ex Colne librarians, including Christine Bradley. If anyone knows who, what and why it's Christine!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right and she worked a lot with Doreen Crowther. Please give her my love and let her know I am still blundering round in the undergrowth.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Christine Bradley. A first class librarian especially on local history. I don't know her on a personal level but on the odd occasions I see her she always gives me a nod. That should add about 3 minutes to your conversation trying to find out who you are talking about. :laugh5:
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

We had a good lunch and a good natter. Christine and Margaret came up with the same name for the abseilling young man, still a Colne resident and connected to St Barts, they think it's one of three Hawthorne brothers. Margaret is going to contact them to confirm.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Some of you will be old enough to remember these lamps which were essential in the days when showing lights at night was compulsory for any vehicle parked on a public road during 'the hours of darkness'. You only needed one and the lamp was a clip-on which could be slipped over the top of the window before winding it up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I was reviewing a chemist shop in Burnley 'Barllow's' at the Mitre. Who had antique carboys in the window as advertisement pieces.

Barlows 2 .jpg
I believe when they closed in 1974 one went to a chemist shop in Nelson and another to one in Colne.
A question for Wendy and her friends at the library. Can anybody remember these carboys?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have an idea that Tommy O'Connell our doctor had a couple in the conservatory at the back of the surgery which was also his house. He prescribed and made his own medicines. That was in the 1940s and he lived in Didsbury.
I remember that his office door had two doors, one covered with quilted padding. I always thought that was to stop the people in the waiting room hearing any noises caused by pain! That's a Flatley Dryer item today.
(PS. I have read of the carboys causing fires by concentrating the sun's rays.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I found this image on the web of a pair of British Army ammunition boots. For a start off, I don't know why the official description of the boots was 'ammunition'! What I like about this pic is that it shows the imprint of the last set of studs. You sent them in to the stores when the studs were worn down and I can't remember having new soles on my boots. Also, these flat studs, the toe plate and the horse shoe heel iron were definitely typical of the 1950s at least. The army didn't believe in hob nails.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”