THE FLATLEY DRYER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Stanley »

Mature members will remember the fun we had with the Flatley Dryer, old adverts and similar topics. How about another crack at it. I was triggered off by a reference in a book I was reading written in the 1980s and mentioning the Filofax. Remember the days before hand held digital notebooks when no executive could function without a Filofax? The thicker the better and the more expensive the cover. The start of the personal organiser. (No, I never had one, my version was a bobby's notebook with a black elastic band to mark your place and a stub of pencil.)
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Nolic

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Nolic »

Careful Comrade, I've used a Filofax for the past 20 years and still do. Better than an electronic calender for planning work and keeping odds and sods safe. Nolic
"I'm a self made man who worships his creator." Image
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Same here. There's no better place to keep your gas/electricity meter readings. I've got several.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

Meters or Filofaxes? I have never had one.
Say only a little but say it well.
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

When I think of filofax I always think of Del Boy in Only Fools and Horses when he went to the wine bar. I still use a diary and address book with note paper in the back so I suppose it's a similar thing. Wasn't the Flatley dryer the one with bars in that you put your clothes on then slotted them back in we never had one but I remember the advert. My mum used to have a contraption called a Hi-dry, which was a heater with a wooden concertina maiden with a cover over it. Used to keep it on the landing kept the upstairs warm as well as drying the clothes.

Eileen
catgate
Regular User

Post by catgate »

I had always thought that a Flatley dryer was a thing used to remove the excess water from a sweating Irish river dancer.
Sunray10
Regular User

Post by Sunray10 »

I have had a couple of filofaxes but have neved used them, instead I use a large diary with one page for every day. For any other notes I just buy a cheap reporters notebook from a well-known local store and in this I write all my bits and bobs. A diary is much the same as a filofax I suppose. :confused:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My version of a social calendar these days is a Post-It on the table to remind me of doctor's appointments. Retirement means that if you want you can do away with 'appointments'.
IK was looking at some adverts from 1963 in the Model Engineer. You could buy a Myford Super Seven lathe for £127-10-0. Thing was it was the same price from all the suppliers. They liquidated last year and the last price I saw was over £3,000.
Remember the adverts for ex army equipment?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

Saw in Southport an original kitchenette from the 1950's it wasn't 1950's prices though it was £350

Eileen
Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

I can't remember how much we paid for ours (it was cream and green with red handles and had a cupboard at the top, a shelf that folded up, a special box for the bread, and a cupboard at the bottom.) it would be no where near that, we only had £350 saved for everything, including the honeymoon in London. Mind we had to come home on the Thursday instead of the Saturday - the £34 we had taken had all gone. Fortunately the landlord of the B&B only charged us until Thursday so we had enough for a meal on the train home. We were Ok when we got to Colne, the building society was still open. Everything in London cost twice as much as it did here. We used to pay 1/3 to go to the pictures, it was 2/6 in London.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Self assembly kitchen furniture , so MFI and Ikea never invented it , whom would have thought it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It came assembled.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

We had one seventy years ago and I think the drop down shelf had a porcelain enamelled surface.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All from Chatterbox Annual for 1908.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

No interest in the old adverts?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Could you credit the publications and dates to put them in context , please.
( Ahh , at the bottom , I only scrolled down at first to the end of the pictures , missing the line of text , clicking on new posts only brought up the first reply at top of screen so missed credit ! )

With ITV's report last night on the rise of childhood illnesses some above look like making a comeback.
Last edited by Whyperion on 13 Apr 2012, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's in small print - but it's there... "All from Chatterbox Annual for 1908."

I wonder how many of these ads would be allowed today, considering the contents of the cures, the Trade Descriptions Act and the Advertising Standards Authority?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Could you credit the publications and dates to put them in context , please.". Does it matter? Stop nit-picking and donate to the site instead of freeloading!
David, you're right. I have seen adverts promising certain cures for illnesses like cancer, syphilis and tuberculosis.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Bumped
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Does anyone remember the 'Seebackroscope' or the 'Zonk' stail holder for brushes? The pages of joke items like artificial dog muck? Indoor fireworks? (I wonder what was in all that smoke!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

found whilst trying to find an English Electric Logo or similar
from

http://www.fcet.staffs.ac.uk/jdw1/sucfm/stafford.htm
( The Staffordshire University Computing Futures Museum Nelson Research Laboratory Stafford Page )
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Adverts from the Model Engineer in March and May 1939. Everything was to change in September.....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

TheProf

Post by TheProf »

Well I can just about remember the aeroplane flying over Bolton Towing the 'Mum wants a Flatley' banner, though thanks to some 'duff gen' from my mum, I always thought they were washing machines. My first memory of actually fixing things is of helping to change the shear pin in Mum's Bendix washing machine, (actually the mangle part). It was only years later I realised that the weakened, (axially drilled and cross drilled) alloy pin was a safety feature.

I've mended quite a few bits of white goods for friends, and watched the general downturn in quality and longevity of them. Price cutting means most modern ones don't do a hot-fill, or is that actually more fuel efficient?

Anyone remember the 'Hotpoint Keymatic'? I remember that seeming very futuristic at the time. The only family I knew that got one also had an equally futuristic Citroen DS car, with the single spoke steering wheel, and headlights that moved with the steering. Their kitchen could have featured in a sixties design magazine, with it's Aga cooker and Kenwood Chef.

I love the design of kitchenettes, with their clever storage and very good use of space. They definitely pre-dated the widespread use of refrigerators, the one my Aunty Olive had, featured an egg rack in one door, and a zinc lined ventilated compartment, originally a meat safe, though my aunt used it as a bread bin. Most of that type of furniture, was made of a glued ply construction, very strong and rigid, though as someone mentioned, not pack-flat. The technique persisted up into the 60's with such stuff as 'Linden Whitewood' - finished furniture you had to paint yourself, (I still have 3 cupboard 'modules' in my electronics room, which my parents bought for children's furniture, in the 60's). I think the technique may have owed something to the widespread building of parts for the 'Mosquito' aircraft during the war - it's an easy redeployment of technology. On a similar note, I think that might have been why there was a lot of alloy stuff made in the 50's. I have an anodised all alloy tray from my mum, that was probably given to here in the early 50's, probably recycled aircraft scrap.

I need to go hunt pictures.

Return to “Nostalgia”