THE FLATLEY DRYER

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: THE FLATLEY DRYER

Post by Stanley »

Look up asbestos at Armley Cathy. There was a factory there and residents said that asbestos blew round on the streets like snow. We had it at Ellenroad and my mate Graham Riley died later from ingesting it. So far I have survived.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Check out Turner and Newall of Rochdale, and Cyril Smith's role in the cover up.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Turner Asbestos Cement in Erith, Kent are a later incarnation of Turner and Newall. They had a factory just down the road from where I used to live, a new housing development was built on the site and there were stories of people digging up asbestos when gardening.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Plenty of asbestos at Butts Mill! How did they clean all that up?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stop agitating Graham. Never a single asbestos related death reported.
The classic book on asbestos is 'Magic Mineral or Killer Dust by Geoffrey Tweedale. Have a look at THIS Hebden Bridge website.

Acre Mill at Hebden Bridge.

You can find Alice's Story, the TV documentary that blew the asbestos case wide open, on YouTube.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

chinatyke wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 01:16 Plenty of asbestos at Butts Mill! How did they clean all that up?
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

How is it that I got onto/into China’s reply without pressing Post Reply. I don’t remember pressing anything.
I added the four dots, just to show that it had happened. And it came thru as a quote. I don’t even know how to use the Quote thingy.
Very strange 🙁
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Sorry, I can't hep with that, Cathy - gremlins probably! I was writing the following as you were posting so sorry for changing the subject! :smile:
--------------------------------------------------

An old mine tip in Devon, long grown over, was turned into a playground for trial bikers and the like back in 1991. More recently they found the dust being kicked up contained arsenic and it had to be shutdown.

I've been reading a 1970s book about the Alderley Edge mines.Well known for copper, lead, cobalt, nickel, manganese etc. What wasn't often mentioned was that there was a lot more arsenic than there was of most of the metals! The mineralisation there is unusual - very few veins of metal minerals, it's mostly present as coatings on the rocks, coatings of the sandstone grains and sometimes very fine veins containing little metal ore. So they had to mine out lots of stone and grind it up, digest it in acid, then throw in scrap iron to precipitate the copper. The sandy waste was piled up into hills around the mines. Most of the mining was in the 1800s. In 1914 and the start of war someone had what he thought was a bright idea - use the sand to fill sandbags. They quickly disintegrated due to the high acidity of the sand! In the 1950s it was decided to get rid of the sandhills altogether and make the land available for other uses. Much of it was sold off to companies for making concrete and mortar. So some of the footballers in Cheshire might be living in houses made with mortar containing arsenic!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Cathy wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 10:07 I don’t even know how to use the Quote thingy.
Just for clarity. You can quote the entire post by just clicking the "double quote mark icon" at the top of the users post.

If you just want to quote a section of the post as I have here. Open a new post, scroll back to the one you want to quote from, highlight the section of text you want then click the quote icon at the top of the post. That will append the quote correctly attributed into your post.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I knew about the mining Peter but not the arsenic.... Not the sort of thing they would want publicising in the vicinity of the Bells of Peover or Knutsford. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks for explaining the Quote process.
What actually happened is that I found myself in China’s reply, the reply which he wrote, showing brackets and computer jargon.
If it happens again I will try to remember to take a screen shot and post it to explain it better.
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What threw me when I first started on OG was that I'd been used to a simpler way of quoting on other forums. In the post you wanted to quote from you just highlighted the desired bit of text and pressed the quote button. The Post a Reply box then opened with that bit of text already in quotes.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 10:29
Cathy wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 10:07 I don’t even know how to use the Quote thingy.
If you just want to quote a section of the post as I have here. Open a new post, scroll back to the one you want to quote from, highlight the section of text you want then click the quote icon at the top of the post. That will append the quote correctly attributed into your post.
Thanks Ian, I didn't know that way of doing a selected section for a quote. :good:
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 14:20 What threw me when I first started on OG was that I'd been used to a simpler way of quoting on other forums. In the post you wanted to quote from you just highlighted the desired bit of text and pressed the quote button. The Post a Reply box then opened with that bit of text already in quotes.
That works on here also, this is the result of doing what you said above. :good:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It doesn't work for me, China. Are we talking about different things? I meant highlighting a bit of text directly in the original post first, then opening the Post a Reply window.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Peter is right, you have to open the editor up first and then select the section of text if you only want a portion of the post. Clicking the quote first without opening the editor will insert the entire post as a quote regardless of what you have selected.
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 10:31 It doesn't work for me, China. Are we talking about different things? I meant highlighting a bit of text directly in the original post first, then opening the Post a Reply window.
I've just checked and you and Ian are right, it doesn't allow just highlighting part of the text, it grabs all of it.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 02:45 Image
Nearly Half Price.
Are advertising headlines like that allowed nowadays.

Does Tizer know if there is a chemical that will bind to arsenic to help clean up ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw a plumber's van in Barlick yesterday and on its side it said 'Free Central Heating'. I'll bet that one wasn't legal.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You didn't give the name but I think it will be genuine. There is a genuine initiative to install free boilers for folk who are in real need. I have forgotten the name but have seen it regularly on the local Facebook sites.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Whyperion wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 20:26 Does Tizer know if there is a chemical that will bind to arsenic to help clean up ?
I think the answer has to be no. Theoretically it can be bound by chelating agents but would have to be in a soluble form and probably only suitable for very small scale use. All you need to know about arsenic can be found here: Arsenic

The common ore arsenopyrite (iron arsenic sulphide, FeAsS) is the source of most of the troublesome arsenic in mine waste and contaminated water. The article describes it as a rusty red rock, which is odd - it's silver to dark grey with a metallic lustre. I'm looking at a lump of it now on the shelf behind my PC (kept in a closed perspex box of course!)....

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 08:25 You didn't give the name but I think it will be genuine. There is a genuine initiative to install free boilers for folk who are in real need. I have forgotten the name but have seen it regularly on the local Facebook sites.
Is it this one Ian?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/DEPHER/?ref=share
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Yes, that's it Kev. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think that was it. Free boilers yes but free heating? Surely they still pay for the gas?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Nostalgia”