Where Have You Just Been?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by PanBiker »

Was this the service?

West Lancashire Railway
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Ian, I think we are basically talking about the same line but this was an extension to Fleetwood. My memory of it is that it was electric in the 1940s. That's why I called it the 'tram-puffer'.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

One things for certain Stanley. Back in the 40's there were a hell of a lot more ways of getting from A to B on a train, tram or bus for that matter. Beeching has a lot to answer for. Why the hell we didn't nurture and develop Eric Laithwaite's MAGLEV technology back in the 50's god only knows? Maybe because the government only regarded it as a parlour trick! The Japanese and other forward thinking nations would tend to disagree. We could have had the equivalent of HS2 with a lot less destruction of a monorail network over 50 years ago. It still takes 40 minutes to go from Skipton to Leeds, that would be 15 minutes on a bullet train.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Those links are fascinating, I wasn't aware of so many branch lines. It was Stanley's use of the word tram that sent me off on the wrong track (!) - it sounded like he meant an extension of the Blackpool line to Southport, hence my cheeky use of the word amphibious. Of course, the difference between standard railways and trams gets confused by the existence of the light railways. Although there are differences in how they are regulated, in practice there tends to some overlap.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Very true Peter. I often quote the fact that in the days when there was a station at Newsholme a hamlet between Gisburn and Long Preston they could finish haymaking in summer, have a wash and a clean shirt and hop on a train to Blackpool, have a couple of pints and a stroll on the prom, get the last train and be back in Newsholme later that evening. They also had two private bus services running past the front door. (Fred Norcross told me that, he lived in the farm next to the railway line.)
Today you can't survive there unless you have a car.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Where we lived in Blackburn in the 1950s it was a short walk (albeit on a steep hill) to reach Whalley New Road and there would be a double- decker bus passing about every 5 minutes on weekdays on it's way to town. You never thought about bus times, there would always be one within minutes of you arriving at the stop.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's how public transport should be and old social democrats like me think it should be a free service paid for by the state. Just think what a difference that would make to traffic on the roads.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Unfortunately people are so wedded to their cars now that it will be difficult to get them to use public transport. What will they do to proclaim their success and soothe their `I'm worth it' belief if they don't have a big shiny 4x4 vehicle? :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

`I'm worth it' belief if they don't have a big shiny 4x4 vehicle? Just swapped my car for one of these status symbols. Totally stupid thing to do, but on life's final lap I wanted to hang on as long as possible. With a 40 ton juggernaut bearing down on you at every turn I much prefer an extra 2ft of crumple zone and five airbags wrapped round me. In other posts there's mention of deliveries trying to work to impossible schedules. White van man becoming 'foot down man'. Cycle lanes are more like 'life in your hands' lanes. I could go on but I think you may have got the gist that the roads are getting more dangerous by the day.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Tell me about it Ken! That's why I kicked driving into touch. Life is possible without a vehicle and a lot less expensive. My big problem was that I saw the Glory Days of motoring when it was a delight. Remember 'The Freedom of the Open Road'? Like my youth it is long gone. So include me out.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Gloria

Post by Gloria »

We thought we’d have a drive out to Bolton Abbey yesterday, met by large signs announcing car parking pre book only, and most of Yorkshire having a day out. We carried on to Burnsall, quite busy there, but we had a nice walk by the river. Interesting to watch the number of people handling gates and such. The pubs and cafes were busy, and the social distancing wasn’t noticeable. Nice run out though.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

This is more where am I going. Booked in at Holme Lacy House Hotel in Herefordshire, it's currently running at 50% capacity to allow for social distancing. Live entertainment is outside on a purpose built stage, advice is to bring your own 'garden' chair. I bought a new set of heavy duty recliners back in the spring which are very comfortable, a small folding table came with them with 'pockets' to stop drinks falling over. Hopefully the weather holds out.
The swimming pool is open, can't get much safer than a chlorine rich environment so looking forward to that. It's not the 2 week cruise around the Med we did have booked for P's 60th but it's a holiday. I've spent the cruise money on new windows now so we couldn't go this year anyway, even if we were allowed :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds sensible Kev and I hope it works out.
I consider myself lucky because I seem to have burned the travelling bug out of my system long ago, 20 years now in fact, that was the last time I left our shores and I don't miss it. From what I can see air travel now seems to be a modern version of purgatory. I can remember 40 years ago when getting on a plane for the Polar flight to LA at Ringway was an adventure. I'm afraid those days are long gone.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 06:59 The swimming pool is open, can't get much safer than a chlorine rich environment so looking forward to that. It's not the 2 week cruise around the Med we did have booked for P's 60th but it's a holiday.
I've been saying that for years. My hair has been gradually been bleached a fetching blond colour but I've noticed with the pool being closed I haven't developed any black roots yet. I wonder why?

See what you are missing Kev
Rescue.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 10 Aug 2020, 07:15
Big Kev wrote: 09 Aug 2020, 06:59 The swimming pool is open, can't get much safer than a chlorine rich environment so looking forward to that. It's not the 2 week cruise around the Med we did have booked for P's 60th but it's a holiday.
I've been saying that for years. My hair has been gradually been bleached a fetching blond colour but I've noticed with the pool being closed I haven't developed any black roots yet. I wonder why?

See what you are missing Kev

Rescue.jpg
:good: :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Made it to Holme Lacy with the EGR fix in place (see The Flatley Drier thread). It's very warm and overcast at the moment.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Enjoy your break Kev and of course P. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 17:13 Enjoy your break Kev and of course P. :smile:
:good: :sunny: :sunny: :sunny: :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I reckon I can suffer this for the weekend...
20200814_212638.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Looks good, Hope the thunderstorms keep off, Nothing worse than eating and drinking listening to music and falling asleep for week to spoil a holiday. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken had a little set-off yesterday....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 21:25 Looks good, Hope the thunderstorms keep off, Nothing worse than eating and drinking listening to music and falling asleep for week to spoil a holiday. :biggrin2:
We've been lucky so far, sat out on the terrace watching a Pet Shop Boys tribute band last night which was good.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Today set of full of promise, Cut some grass. strim the boarders and some weeding. None of it happened. A bit of shopping instead, will only take ½ a hour. another promise down the Swanee. On the bright side called into Tubbs restaurant on Albert Rd Colne. One of my swimming buddies Steve owns it. Sat outside with an excellent coffee. Poked my nose inside. All tables partitioned off, waitress service. gives you a feeling of confidence. As he explained I'm not the cheapest but I try to give quality. Actually the prices are not over the top for what's on offer. Will give it a go later.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The grass is a bit wet anyway Ken, my mower is primed and ready to go after lunch hoping it might be a bit drier by then. Tubbs is next door to my hairdresser, I'll have to pop in sometime though it looks a bit smart to me! Is that your friend's very smart car that is usually parked right on the junction, making it hard to turn out of the car park??
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Cut some grass this afternoon before it got too tall.
Wendyf wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 11:47 I'll have to pop in sometime though it looks a bit smart to me!
Tubbs is not a posh place at all. Steve is a very pleasant hard working chap, 12 hours a day acting as main chef and bottle washer putting everything back into the business. From what I remember he drives an old banger. As I have said trying to build it up on quality rather than cheap food.

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”