Where Have You Just Been?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Stanley »

Got it. I shall be posting them tomorrow when I go to the doctors..... I doubt if there will be any rare items, bin what you don't want without compunction. If nothing else they will give you a snapshot of my life!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

None of our postcards are rare. We simply enjoy the fun of collecting a great variety of images, whether modern or old-fashioned. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sent off yesterday.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Julie in Norfolk
Regular User

Post by Julie in Norfolk »

Just been to the Saatchi Gallery, formerly known as the Chelsea Barracks. Things that I noted:
1. What a wonderful building
2. What a great exhibition - Tutankhamen - treasures of the golden pharaoh
3. My daughter still excited at her age!!!
4, The brief sojourn to Leeds when we got on the wrong train at Wakefield.

I do recommend this exhibition if you get the opportunity.
Measure with a micrometer, mark with a pencil, cut with an axe.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Norfolk to London via Wakefield?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Wendyf wrote: 07 Mar 2020, 10:46 Norfolk to London via Wakefield?
That's an interesting route :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed, we must know more...

Bosom Friends Coffee Morning, first Sat of the month. :smile:

I took the opportunity to check out the USB connection to our upstairs display. I connected it up while I was checking something else yesterday but didn't have anything on USB flash drive to test it with at the time, it works fine. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dare it have done anything else?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Trip over to Rawtenstall yesterday, not by choice but by necessity. Its years since I've been there in a touristy look round mode. What a change, lots of the old buildings gone, brand new bus station, lots of well manicured open spaces. Didn't need the trinkets and beads to keep the natives quiet and there were very few of them moving around which one would expect at 8.0 am. Started heavy drizzle at 9.0 am so retreated to the car. Actually within that hour I'd covered and photographed the main tourist attractions and even managing to navigate the underground tunnels (subway) to get across the roaring commuter traffic that's the main feature of the edge of town. As with all the old towns there are lots of interesting snippets around if you keep your eyes open. Surprise, surprise the old railway station is now a pub who would have guessed that? .All in all not a day wasted.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Part of my adventure to Rawtenstall Land was to come across the original Fitzpatrick's Temperance bar.

P7130050.JPG
This brought back memories of the Fitzpatrick's bar in Burnley located by the side of the culvert on the way to Turf Moor football ground. Always full of people and was very popular with the TT's like my dad who would treat us to a hot peppermint on the way to the match. All that are was demolished along with the rest of Pickup Croft area. That was the end of Fitzpatrick Burnley.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like the way you write about the place Ken. Glad the TT bar is still there. I used to be a regular customer when I lived in Bacup and necessity took me to Rawtenstall, always had a sarsaparilla and a refill for my Dandelion and Burdock concentrate. Happy memories with me too of mother always taking me into the herbalist's on Prince's Street in Stockport for a dandelion and burdock.... Simple pleasures so alien to today's world and far better for you that Red Bull!
(This is a forgotten corner!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There was always a sarsaparilla stall on Blackburn market and it continued even when the market had moved indoors. I don't know if it still exists.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Oooo...I do like Sarsparilla...
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I have just been for a walk around Foulridge Lower Res, it rained :cool4:
20200726_155436.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I have just been for a walk around Foulridge Lower Res, it rained :cool4:

Hobstones Farm on the left. Quite a few people insist its haunted, Poltergeist and all that. Mrs P's friend lives there and says 'no such thing' quiet as the grave.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 26 Jul 2020, 17:53 I have just been for a walk around Foulridge Lower Res, it rained :cool4:

Hobstones Farm on the left. Quite a few people insist its haunted, Poltergeist and all that. Mrs P's friend lives there and says 'no such thing' quiet as the grave.
I have a History of Foulridge book, the parish council dropped it off (by request). The historic houses section mentions Hobstones and the alleged haunting, a fascinating read.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Jack and I have been round the Green three times....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Fleetwood, well not exactly, we were heading for Fleetwood but we came across a spot in Cleveleys that took our fancy. Bar with food, outdoor shaded seating. Pay and display long stay car park next door. Snack bar and toilets across the road on the beach side and plenty of beach to go at. Plenty of folk on the beach but not manic by any means, everyone behaving themselves and setting down properly distanced from everyone else. Plenty of room in front, the tide was out but on the turn but a good 400 yards in front. Had some lunch and a beer at the pub, hand wash at the entrance, used their loos, (one way system in place). Hit the beach for a coupe of hours, had a paddle as you do. Cloud was bubbling up late afternoon so we packed up and made our way home.
Took a wrong exit on one of the roundabouts and ended up heading for where we were going to go in the first place, Fleetwood! Did a U-turn and found the right way home. On the M55 the overheads were announcing a reduced 60mph limit, all three lanes were doing less than 10mph! No reason of course for the slow down, auto creep on the car is a godsend but still, note to self yet again not to use the Motorways. A quick few miles down the M6 which was also rammed and off on the A59 which was much better. I noticed passing the swish new entrance to the BAE complex that they now have two aircraft on gate guard. Pleased to see the English Electric Lightning on a new stick, still a fearsome beast and next to it a Eurofighter Typhoon. The Jet Provoost that used to star with the Lightning has been outclassed, (to some degree I reckon) and is nowhere to be seen.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I like Cleveleys, it's a nice walk along the front. We went to Lytham on Wednesday, they've recently finished some seafront improvements there. Free parking next to Lowther Gardens, fish salad for lunch and a bit of a walk. You can't go wrong really...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was where I first heard the song 'Give me land, lots of land, neath the starry skies above. Don't fence me in'. Amazing what sticks in your mind. And what I called the tram puffer to Southport. Is there still that electric train service?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Not all the way to Southport. Trams still run between Star Gate at Squires Gate and Fleetwood, to the ferry terminal. Service is about every 20 minutes.

Blackpool Tramway
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I detect some confusion here. Lowther Gardens is in Lytham, not Cleveleys. And a tram from either of those to Southport would have to be amphibious!

By BAE complex do you mean at the aerodrome at Samlesbury? When I was a child we drove to Cleveleys or Lytham St Annes almost every weekend that the weather was good enough. I remember seeing Canberras, Meteors and Vampires parked there.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 01 Aug 2020, 09:33 I detect some confusion here. Lowther Gardens is in Lytham, not Cleveleys. And a tram from either of those to Southport would have to be amphibious!

By BAE complex do you mean at the aerodrome at Samlesbury? When I was a child we drove to Cleveleys or Lytham St Annes almost every weekend that the weather was good enough. I remember seeing Canberras, Meteors and Vampires parked there.
No confusion here Tiz, Kev did say Lytham. I said the trams just run between Blackpool & Fleetwood.

On your second point yes, a good bit more than just an aerodrome now. They have made a new swish traffic light controlled entrance from the A59. The lightning used to guard the gate at the original entrance which was further along. The Provoost was not on a stick but on it's wheels a bit further on near the periphery. The new pair of Lightning and Typhoon are at the new entrance.

BAE.JPG

Gate Guards.JPG

From Road.JPG
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, I mixed up the two posts in my mind, so I was the one confused. But what about Stanley's `tram puffer' to Southport? What's that?
Thanks for the pics!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was my childish name for what I remember as an electric train running from Cleveleys to Southport.
Always something interesting on the runways at Samlesbury, they were refurbishing Canberras long after they went out of service with the RAF.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”