Global Moderator

Re: Where Have You Just Been?

Post by Stanley »

I went to sleep while you were taking those pics...... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Last night at Adam and Rose's wedding evening bash as Herriot's over in Skipton. Rose looked gorgeous of course and along with the majority of her family was in traditional Kenyan dress. Much jollity and dancing as befitting the occasion. Our Jack was one of the ushers. Good to catch up with all of our Jack's cohort mates who were all present as well. Most of the Barlick contingent were all at nursery together, others met through later schooling and college. Good that they are all still good friends. We have a photo of a huge bunch of them on our settee at one of Jacks birthday parties 30 years ago. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Cleveleys for a bit o' fish and a walk along the front.
20220618_180930.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yesterday I heard of, and saw for the first time New River - London

It looked like a canal, but was slowly flowing. Quite surprised to find that it predates the Leeds Liverpool Canal by about 150 years.

"Although it was at one time threatened with closure, the waterway continues to supply water to the capital."

Didn't see anyone swimming in it though, which really surprised me.. :smile:

Born to be mild. . .
Last edited by Tripps on 20 Jun 2022, 10:53, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Yesterday, we were at Carla's for Fathers Day. Before that she and Isla and Finlay and friends Rachael and her kids Martha and Joe were doing the Paint Run over at Riddlesden & Marley sports field it was a 5K run in aid of Sue Ryder and Manorland's Hospice charities.

The paint side of the event is similar to the Hindu Holi Festival that celebrates rebirth and the colours of Spring. Entrants are issued with powder paint bags as part of the pack that they get when entering. A power mist water hose is also part of the proceedings. Route was twice round the periphery of the site with obstacles to negotiate at a few points. These also included vast quantities of the coloured paints to be thrown around. one was a crawl under cargo net which was laid on top of a big plastic sheet which was both wet and covered in copious quantities of bright orange paint. Other colours were available in the packs for throwing around, red, green yellow, blue. I reckon about 1000 or so took part. As observers to the event we went to get brew from the van on the site and ended up with quit a bit of residual paint mist on us, my jeans had orange streaks and my black soft shell jacket a combination of purple and yellow dusting, Both have been through the washer this morning.

The powder paints are water based so they do wash out. There were some pretty colourful people about I can tell you. Carla had taken two old duvet covers for the seats in the car for the journey home. Kids had a change of clothes and additional bin bags to cover their legs! All sorted for about 2pm then back to Carla's so their new portable wood fired pizza oven could be put through it's paces. Pizza dough and all the toppings were prepared earlier. The oven is a table top job and cooks up to a 12" pizza in about 2 - 3 minutes. Our Jack came over on his bike and Sam, Rachael and their kids were there after they had all cleaned up from the mornings fun. It was a nice day with family and friends. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, I knew about the New River but can't remember where from. I have an idea it got a mention in Smiles' 'Lives of the Engineers'. There's a lot of good stuff written about municipal water supplies and reading it makes you realise we are still living off the Victorian's backs!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 21 Jun 2022, 03:21 I knew about the New River
I'd have been disappointed if you hadn't :smile: but The thing that impressed me was that it was opened in 1613.

At almost the same time as you lot were busy hanging 'witches' - them down here were digging clean water supplies. I think the Victorians stood on their shoulders. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right David it was earlier than Victoria but London at that time was the biggest conurbation in the Isles and was in desperate need of water. At the same time the advent of the new Stuart monarchy was like a breath of fresh air in many ways and trade and industry benefited. The 17th century was to see the start of many threads that in the end resulted in the evolution of trade and industry. It's no accident that the earliest steam engines were born at this time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sir Hugh Myddelton and the New River Company have been bugging me David ever since you raised the matter. I cracked yesterday and went to Smiles 'lives of the Engineers' and I was right, there is a section in Volume One on him and the company. For many years Samuel Smiles was dismissed as a typical Victorian antiquarian author and as being of little account. However, later research has completely rescued his reputation and he is now regarded as a sound source so if you want a very detailed account, go to Smiles!
(I knew I had seen a full account somewhere. Nice to find my memory wasn't at fault.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 23 Jun 2022, 04:40 Nice to find my memory wasn't at fault.
Indeed.

This is a good link. Myddleton

Am I the only one who is still in total awe of the Interwebthingy? It's amazing - still. That site looks like the gateway to lots more time wasting valuable research activity. I'll look in Dorothy Hartley's "Water" - perhaps there's a mention there - If I can remember where I put it. :smile:

PS back to the Home of that link shows more on Sam Smiles

What a nice name.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Lovely David.... I've never seen that site but have bookmarked it. It was reading Samuel Smiles during the two moths I was off work with a broken shoulder that really woke up my interest in history. I always thought Smiles was the real thing but as I read more I found many historians slighted him. I could never understand this because many of the men who Smiles wrote about were his contemporaries. Eventually the light dawned on many of those writers as industrial archaeology started to raise matters that Smiles had already discussed. It was realised that far from being 'a minor Victorian writer' he was actually a very sound witness and gave good evidence.
I noted the other day that the Wikipedia article on the New River never mentioned Smiles in the sources even though much of what was written was culled form Lives of the Engineers.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

No mention of Myddleton in Dorothy Hartley's "Water in England", though it would have fitted nicely into the Chapter imaginatively entitled "Caught, Conducted, and Compelled". I'd say most of the book comes from other books - so maybe she looked at the wrong ones.

Stanley wrote: 24 Jun 2022, 02:48 I've never seen that site but have bookmarked it
It was a return to the site for me though it's a long time, and a couple of computers ago for me, so it was a pleasant surprise to be there again. I used to have this bookmarked Ben Brierley

Really detailed information on him, including several of his works. Thanks again Gloria for putting me in touch with Rex Watson and enabling me to buy the complete works. A read puts me back into 19th century Failsworth. There's an extra buzz, since I know the area fairly well and it was the home of my immediate ancestors. One of the books contains a letter of thanks to a purchaser of his books, is dated 1889, and is signed by Ben Brierley himself. The signature matches that on the opening linked page so must be genuine. Wonderful.
Ben B.JPG
I meant to put my religion down as 'Gallithumpian' in last year's census. Can't think Why I didn't. I'll have to wait for the next one. A shade of odds against rectifying the omission I'd say though. :smile:

I don't know how appropriate this stuff is for this site, but it improves my general well being so indulge me. . . . :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ivy Barn, Gayle. Nicely installed in Uncle Joe's old house. Warm but uneventful drive through Buckden and over the hill. One Dale away from where my ancestors farmed in Marsett. .Right side of a brew and a bit of lunch and we have just had a light shower of rain. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"I don't know how appropriate this stuff is for this site, but it improves my general well being so indulge me. "
That's what this site is all about David, indulging our flights of fancy. Perhaps that's the reason why we never get really young members, flights of fancy aren't fashionable these days. I mean, go back and look at Steeplejack's Corner! Where else could that topic have flourished apart from One Guy?
Re. Dorothy Hartley.... Perhaps not the 'wrong' books but different ones.... I have a book on the shelf:- 'Early Victorian Water Engineers' by G M Binnie. No mention of The New River Company because it was too early but a fascinating read if you have any interest in these matters! (LINK to a copy on Bookfinder for £3.50. Go for it David!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Done. :smile:

I often wondered why there have been no new reservoirs built recently. Surely the increased population since Victorian times would show a need. I think Kielder was the last major one and in fact I think that the North East industries it was designed to supply have nearly gone.

I know little about it all. Did they mend the leaky one at Whaley Bridge last year?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've always thought the provision of public water supplies was so interesting. Worth looking even further back to the Romans..... (And we should never have allowed water supply to be privatised for profit. Harold Macmillan was right when he complained about 'selling the family silver'. Sorry I triggered such wanton expenditure David but I think you might enjoy it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 10:24 I often wondered why there have been no new reservoirs built recently. Surely the increased population since Victorian times would show a need. I think Kielder was the last major one and in fact I think that the North East industries it was designed to supply have nearly gone.
Actually there was a move to build more reservoirs. a saleable asset, but the government stepped in saying you should repair the leaky pipes fist. The reservoirs were seen as a long term asset whereas the pipes were best left out of sight.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That makes sense.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I have just been - by the miracle of the interwebthingy to Santa Cruz - main town of Tenerife. The area the tourists rarely visit.

It was 'Carnaval' yesterday.

Nice weather - wonderful crazy people - everyone happy, nearly everyone drinking, but nobody troublesome. Temp = 26 C .

Does watching it top up my Vitamin D ? I assume so - all that sunshine. It does wonders for my mood too. :smile:

Viva Carnaval
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

A bit more local for us, Cotter Force just outside Appersett on the upper reaches of the River Ure. Short walk up to the force, nice sunny afternoon.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Nice bit of dialect and word meanings there... The use of 'force' for waterfall further North in the Dales.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 25 Jun 2022, 03:30 I have a book on the shelf:- 'Early Victorian Water Engineers' by G M Binnie.
So have I now. Good aquisition- arrived today. Scholarly book. :smile:

I don't mention my family much on here, but I spoke to the big one last night who is in the water game, and he reminded me that Graffham Water (1965) could perhaps be regarded as a recent (certainly not Victorian) reservoir expansion, and told me that there are two more under construction in Eastern England at the moment.

Good to see that whilst the big issue in Whitehall is use of pronouns, that someone is quietly getting on with what matters.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I looked it up. Third largest reservoir in England and I had never heard of it or seen it on my travels.... You live and learn...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 01 Jul 2022, 02:33 I had never heard of it or seen it on my travels.... You live and learn...
I mentioned that and he says look at Rutland Water. much bigger, and the same age as he is. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've heard of Rutland Water David but didn't realise it was as late as that. By 1975 I was off the road.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”