WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Marilyn
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Marilyn »

The Recycling Truck at 5 am.
( why they must come at 5am is a mystery). The sound of glass crashing into the bottom of the metal truck at that time of the morning is an abomination.
And because one side of our street gets done on a Tuesday and the other side of the street gets done on a Wednesday, we get to be roused by it tomorrow too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Going back to Aborigine sites. All the mines up there run that risk I think, the whole landscape is sacred to the tribes.
It is nice isn't it Cathy, inspired planting when the landscaped the old goods yard.
People crowding into shops to buy things like overpriced trainers..... Bonkers.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

So is Laura only working for the white people, or aboriginals too?
They are separate health care I think.
My step-son has to live in the aboriginal community (he has his own accommodation). He is not allowed to speak to the women or be alone with them.
They have a lot of rules. He built himself a chicken coop but had to pull it down because "the spirits" were not happy with it (he was told in no uncertain terms). It was not the chicken coop itself that was the problem, but the few square metres of land he put it on made "the spirits" unhappy.
I don't think they liked his vegetable plot either. He had an awful wrangle with the insurance company when his vehicle mysteriously got torched too.
He was on a steep learning curve for a while, even though this is the third aboriginal site he has worked at. they are all different, with different problems. Domestic violence is high.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Both Maz.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 16 Jun 2020, 03:05 Going back to Aborigine sites. All the mines up there run that risk I think, the whole landscape is sacred to the tribes.
It is nice isn't it Cathy, inspired planting when the landscaped the old goods yard.
People crowding into shops to buy things like overpriced trainers..... Bonkers.
Most times now that would be housing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-53050801
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How green everything is! This might not be ideal summer weather but it's wonderful for anything green, very growy weather. Lots of insects and the swallows, swifts and Martins are enjoying it.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Australian architecture: Two Brisbane skyscrapers repurposed into one' LINK 2-minute video
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

London, Sunny, warm, breezy, humid. Grass brown to green depends on how it feels.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's surprising image from Laura in the Pilbara. She tells me that as all the land the mines use is leased from the cattle stations the cattle are free to roam anywhere, even at the mines. They simply work round them.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

After the Bus, the PR wrapped plane Govt Aircraft in for repainting
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A video call with Laura at the mine, a miracle. Only problem is it was a lousy connection we had to give up in the end. But in the good spells she looks good in a hard hat!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The pic of the wandering cow makes this a good place to put this beware of the cow

Worth a look I'd say - especially for all you hiking types. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I always try to avoid any field with cows regardless of whether they have calves or not. My reasoning is they are much bigger than me and are a herd animal so if one kicks off others tend to follow. The younger more naturally boisterous ones are the worst as they seem to be the most unpredictable in behaviour.

It's easy enough in most cases but Sally got caught the other week around Stock where she had to detour to avoid a large herd which were all congregated on the uphill footpath up to the hamlet. The detour ended up taking her two miles out of her way and I had to go and collect her as she ended up on the A59 and was not sure of other routes to get back home other than walking on the road.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What grabbed me was email from a friend I lost ten years ago. She was one of my Carleton students and so I asked the student's office if they could get a message to her, that was two years ago but it worked, I got mail this morning! Lovely. I shall have to do a big catch-up email. (What had happened was her old address had been hacked and taken over and she lost her address book.)

20 years ago.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

News from Bee who lives in Minneapolis that her home district was the first to be hit by the riots, three gas stations and two community food stores burnt down plus other damage. Must have been terrifying for a couple with two young children.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

There was a solar eclipse here this afternoon and about 90% of the sun was obscured leaving only a thin crescent same shape as a new moon. Weird light quality at 4 pm. Isn't it also the longest day today or is it that tomorrow? That's our excitement for today!
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

According to google it was yesterday. 22:43 last night.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Pluggy wrote: 21 Jun 2020, 13:25 According to google it was yesterday. 22:43 last night.
Not in Pingguo! It reached a maximum at 15:56 CST today 21/6/2020 (08:56 BST 21/6/2020). I wouldn't be a bit surprised if someone on Google got it wrong!

solar eclipse Pingguo

It wouldn't be the same time for all places where it could be seen.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Check the default google time. Solstice and Eclipse at same time, someone will thing that is an omen for something good, or bad.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

While a man stabs and kills three in Reading (possibly as a result of mental illness not controlled in the community and use of 'recreational drugs'). on Sunday "Three people have died following a road crash in Cumbria. :The crash, which involved a single car and pedestrians, happened in Dalton-in-Furness, at about 14:30 BST on Sunday. The victims, who were all pedestrians, were pronounced dead at the scene. Police said "the driver of a Peugeot, a 47-year-old local man, has been arrested on suspicion of drinking and driving and three counts of causing death by dangerous driving."

Again, outcomes are the same, How one can prevent the occurances - maybe the ignition cut off device and breath test before driving might help?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact it isn't raining!

Can you remember me buying these Fell boots earlier this year for £185? After the initial oiling I have never cleaned them or treated them at all and worn them continuously, even as slippers in the evening, they are that comfortable! The soles (Commando) are hardly worn. I have gone into brogues for the summer and will oil these and put them away until later in the year. Definitely a good buy and I can't see me living long enough to wear them out!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A 2km wide ring of shafts each measuring 10m x 5m. Those must have taken some digging out, even in the chalk; they're about the size of a 2 up 2 down cottage. No wonder they chose to do it in the chalklands!
`Stonehenge: Neolithic monument found near sacred site' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I saw that report Tiz. It just proves what I have always averred, 'Seek and ye shall find', never more true than now as techniques improve year on year.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The back street today. The eyesore of the back wall of the Bank Street joiner's shop has been there for at least 100 years. Now the housebuilding on Bank Street has re-commenced I think it will go. That'll be an improvement!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

On our walk we were on a footpath walking in single file because the hedge is overgrown. A group of cyclists came along the path from the opposite direction. We stayed on the path because it has an even wider grass verge alongside and then the road. And no traffic on the road. The cyclists gave way at the last minute and went on the verge and one of them gave us a venomous look. To cap it all, the bikes were those with knobbly tyres intended for something other than tarmac. With all this emphasis on encouraging cycling we need someone to tell them how to do it! :smile:

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”