WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Wendyf »

Martin was curator of astronomy at the Yorkshire Museum in York until he retired in 2011. He may have come to live in Earby around that time as that's when he joined the history society and started the Earby Astronomical Society. He has been researching the Kelbrook Church clock, trying to discover if Frances Mary Richardson Currer, who endowed the church in 1838, was responsible for the clock at a later date.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Love, I didn't know any of that!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A nice visit yesterday by two thoroughly nice people. I think I probably talked too much! I don't know about the rest of you but I am short of talking....
The fact that dawn is at 05:00 and sunset at 21:00. It doesn't seem long since it was going dark at three in the afternoon and not light until nine the following morning.... We tend to forget!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A video from Margaret who is at Vlamingh Lighthouse north of Exmouth in WA on the Coral Coast. If anyone had told me fifty years ago I would be getting real time video from 8,000 miles away in my kitchen I'd have told them they were crackers! (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's the good news!...
`Ducklings rescued after being trapped in Warrington drain' BBC video
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Very heartwarming, P said aaaaaawwww!
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

That’s what I like to see Tize...
some good news. :smile:
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I saw that and I couldn't understand why the bloke had to call the RSPCA. Water in the grate was almost up to the top so all they had to do was lift the grate and they could have scooped them out. Hinged grate as well so it would have been easy.

Similar to the one that has been featured for two years now on the NW news, I think it is in Liverpool where a duck returns to nest 8 floors up in a planter on the balcony of a block of flats. The owner of the flat sits vigil on the ducklings once they are hatched. When the duck decides to fly the nest and take the ducklings to water, she flies down and the owner of the flat lowers the ducklings down in a bucket while she patrols at the bottom. They release them from the bucket and off they go to a nearby lake or pond. :smile:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I'm reminded of my pal who was in the Burnley fire brigade, His engine was called out because a pigeon had been perched on a chimney pot for the best part of the day. His task was to get it down. His report .. Stone thrown, bird flown, didn't go down well with supervision. I won't mention what he said his boss could do with the ladder when told they should have climbed up on the roof.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

:biggrin2: :laugh5: It was probably asleep. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a similar reaction to Lady P Kev. Calling the RSPCA gave them a good news story and they need it at the moment. I watched the associated video of the ducks on the balcony as well.
Like Peter, I like stories like that.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

To use one of Tripps words 'Spooky' How 'Old fashion Clean Jokes,> Politics Corner,> Coronavirus Corner, have followed each other in sequence. I suppose its because each one leads seamlessly to the next. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that yesterday when I realised that the Boris cartoon I had put up was an exact match to what was happening and the possible effects of the Indian variant..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The moon, it was very bright in the west during the night. The next full moon is a week tomorrow and will be one of those large ones.
The fact that there was a hint of dawn light in the sky at 3AM this morning. It always strikes me as unfair that we have the longest day before we enter what we can usually expect to be high summer in Barlick! By the time we are into the good weather and harvest the days are visibly shortening again.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have just heard that a challenge to Roe and Wade, the US decision to allow abortion, is due to be considered by the now right wing Supreme Court. This is potentially something that will cause a lot of agitation and grief. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two floodlights have been installed at the base of the town flagpole and I note that the clock has vanished off the top of the bus shelter on Station Road. Can it be that it is to be repaired at long last?
By the way, David Whipp was a bit dubious about the fix applied to the Jubilee clock in the Town Square. He thought it might go haywire after the clocks changed but it hasn't, it's keeping good time now.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Word on the street (Facebook post from David Whipp) is that it's gone for repair.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

About bloody time too. It has been unreliable ever since it was installed. The old electric clock on the front of the Council Offices was far more reliable and accurate.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 16 Apr 2021, 07:13 The University of Hull will no longer be marking down exam papers for bad spelling and grammar. We'll have a country full of geniuses who won't be able to communicate their knowledge other than verbally.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-humber-56761589
Can I be re-marked and get my First now ?
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Marilyn wrote: 26 Apr 2021, 09:53 As I said :biggrin2: you might need some Australian mates!
( you make it hard though, when you treat us like crap) :extrawink:
I note Australian Trade negiotiators are holding out for free trade in agricultural produce to the UK.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 21 Apr 2021, 03:44 Big sleep.... No problem, we aren't on piece work.
The Bowker Drain research is going to be used by a lady who owns land on the course to foil the possible interference with her rights by Seddon Homes who are re-applying for the Barnsey site. My obsession may be useful!
Plaques, maybe, remind me. If there is a prior legal agreement or right over a piece of land, does planning permission over-ride that right, or is the planning permission only applicable if the right can be mutually varied by the owners or those with interest in the right ?
plaques wrote: 27 Apr 2021, 11:36 A letter from Colne planning department.

Holt House Football Ground, Harrison Drive , Colne, Colne football Club.
Full major: Erection of a 1700 capacity football stadium with artificial pitch, club house function rooms and car park.

Some years ago ex-Pendle councilor Mr Cooney proposed selling Holt House for £1 for a similar development. At the time there was no legal requirement that once purchased a change in usage to housing could take place. This needs watching very carefully.
I note there was a recent change in Planning Categories, one of the simplifications that ended up more confusing, as to if changes between the categories on land is now on the nod (subject to appropriate fee), or more difficult I dont know. Now I note in Queen's Speech there was some idea that most land is going to be generally re-classified as suitable for housing, etc, development with no outline change, (and possibly at detail too , which sounds like fun) [ answer on the Politics Thread ]
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Whyperion wrote: 18 May 2021, 20:38 Plaques, maybe, remind me. If there is a prior legal agreement or right over a piece of land, does planning permission over-ride that right, or is the planning permission only applicable if the right can be mutually varied by the owners or those with interest in the right ?
A bit too deep for me. Owners of land must be told if an application to build has been made. This is to make the owner aware that the price of the land may have substantially increased because of the application. I suppose if a 'right' exists eg. a footpath, then this right would be taken into account as part of the overall agreement to passing the application. If that makes sense.
With the Holt House application the existing 'Colne Dynamos' stadium in sat on council owned land on a peppercorn rental. The new stadium is of an increased size extending over recreational land used as a cricket pitch. The debate is should the Council give up more green field recreational land to a private company which is based on the aspiration of achieving a higher football league position against the current free public use of an existing facility.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Remind them of Bury FC. (I note Burnley FC's area incorporates a decent cricket pitch - dont Lancashire CC play there once a year ?)
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

What's happening in Burnley this evening?? :surprised:
Screenshot_20210519-204521.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Are they watching the match?

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”