WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

EileenDavid
Avid User

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by EileenDavid »

Doc leaving site I must be slow on the uptake, had no idea, but will be in safe hands with Pluggy. Eileen
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Eileen, Pluggy is a good man, we couldn't have anyone better than him.
Max Clifford, the man who played Inspector Manson in the Bill, Stuart Hall? All caught in the net of Yewtree. How much truth and how much malicious gossip? Still, the police must have been persuaded.... I don't suppose there will be any clarification until trial and possible sentencing. As it is it's a handy source of headlines for the media!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps wrote:I woke this morning to a report on BBC R5 that the main road , not two miles from here was closed in both directions due to snow. When I finally plucked up the courage to get up - the snow was negligible, just a covering, certainly less than an inch. As a veteran of the 1947, and 1963 winters, I'm puzzled. :smile:
Tripps, we've got the opposite problem here with people trying to drive through floods and getting stranded, even though they've been told the road is closed. There's a photo on a local online newspaper that shows the flooded road with a big red official sign saying "Road Closed due to Flooding". There have been so many strandings that the council has now added a big yellow sign further on, in the flood, which says: "We told you so".
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note from the BET that the appeal against the wind turbine at Yarlside has failed. Good! I hope the protesters aren't too badly affected by the odd occasion when the blades are between them and the sun causing a flickering effect.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The West Craven Area Committee had "snow" on the agenda on Tuesday night, but I note that there is still no grit on Pendle's car parks
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

I lost phone signal between 7 and 9 last night. Very isolating
EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

How changeable the weather is. Eileen
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The paths in Valley Gardens are sheet ice
Thomo

Post by Thomo »

The nurse who took the "prank call" from Oz has been found dead, the price of stupity is high!!
Thomo. RN Retired, but not regretted!
PostmanPete
Regular User

Post by PostmanPete »

Cathy wrote:2 of our (SA) dj's rang asking to speak to Kate using very unconvincing accents as the Queen and Prince Charles, they actually got put thru to Kate's nurse.

You must feel very proud Cathy................. http://uk.reuters.com/article/2012/12/0 ... T120121207
"Always carry a large flagon of whisky in case of snakebite and furthermore always carry a small snake."
W.C. Fields (1880-1946)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hey up! It wasn't Cathy that made the call. Let's not blame her! A good example of unintended consequences but the danger should have been recognised when they were planning such a cruel stunt. They must have known there could be consequences if they succeeded but it was an easy way to get publicity, or so they thought. As Peter says, stupidity!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I agree with you on the prank call I was shocked. I didn't see what was funny about the hoaks and certainly didn't think it was a hoot. It's not funny to make someone a laughing stock no matter who it is just for self gratification. There could be underlying currents and maybe the prank call was the last straw for the nurse. The most that could happen to the dj's is loss of jobs the consequence of the hoaks is a loss of life and two children motherless, but as pointed out Cathy didn't make the call. Eileen
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Postman Pete, why must I be proud? Please explain further.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I have worked as a nurse and have been conned by prank callers, who have no business knowing certain patient's details...and let me tell you...it leaves one GUTTED to have been put in that situation, because the last thing a professional nurse would do is divulge personal information. Always remember that if you get very standardised answers when you ring to ask about a relative. The old line "doing as well as can be expected" is about all you would get from me these days.
The reverse has happened to me as a patient. I had just given birth to my son and was still in the birthing unit and still on the birthing table. Hubby had run off to phone relatives of son's safe arrival, though the child had been whisked off to intensive care without me even holding him, due to breathing difficulties. It was a stressful time. Suddenly one of my husband's WORKMATES (!) appeared....having been let in to that inner sanctum of rooms...simply because he looked important as he had a pager poking from his pocket. I told him we had a son, but he knew...as the same pager poking from his pocket and looking terribly important (!) had gained him immediate access to the intensive care nursery!
He was just some nerd with a pager. We didn't even know this person, apart from the fact he worked with my husband.

I really feel for that poor nurse. And this unborn child's history ( a hundred years from now) will always contain that nurse committing suicide.
The hospital came across as being very understanding with the events. Bet they weren't! Bet that nurse knew she would never work again!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Lets not forget that the nurse that has died did not make any of the reported comments. She was only manning the switchboard, filling in for someone else. The call came in and she routed it to the ward where another yet unnamed nurse made the comments. Whichever way you look at it this is a very tragic event.
Ian
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

The police in the car park giving away their purse bells and tamper proof screws to stop number plates being removed
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

What caught my attention was that this weekend could be one we'll all remember in the future...
http://www.oneguyfrombarlick.co.uk/view ... 585#p29585
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There was a good report of the problems on R4 and one point made was that siting the talks in the middle of oil-rich Middle East wasn't the greatest idea ever!
What grabbed me was the news that Terry Waite is going back to Beirut and has forgiven his captors. Forgive me my prejudices but I don't trust anything about that man, he triggers my crap detector every time I hear of him.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

EileenDavid
Avid User

Post by EileenDavid »

I'm with you on the Terry Waite thing, and if I wasn't a lady I would swear. I think he likes the limelight if we ignore him he might go away. Eileen
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

" but I don't trust anything about that man"

Count me in there. He called a press conference before he was kidnapped to announce that he was going on a "secret mission".

He's on my "wants watching" list along with Sir Ranulph Twisleton-Wykeham-Fiennes, 3rd Baronet, and Jeffrey Archer. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

At the time he went to Beirut there were some very shady connections. Remember Oliie Northfield? he was one of the names mentioned. Eileen, I agree with you, I've never been clear what his connection with the church was, it always seemed to me that it was an easy route to personal publicity. You may think this is daft but I trust not only my personal crap detector but Jack's as well. If he growls when he sees someone that's good enough for me and the funny thing is that his preferences coincide with mine. He can pick out a Jehovah's Witness at 50 paces!
What's attracting my attention at the moment is the smell coming from the small topside joint of Dexter Beef slow cooking in the top oven! Hot beef butties will be on the menu today!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Moh
Silver Surfer

Post by Moh »

It came to mind we have not heard from Gus for a while - is he on the 'new' site?
Say only a little but say it well.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Yes he's rejoined under the name "Angus", but doesn't post much anymore. Shame really - I enjoyed his photos. Always plenty of happy smiling people on them.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tardis

Post by Tardis »

So many people from the council just to take a few photos.

Pro photographer
Council officer
Council communications person
Operative

Wide space in car park with obvious camera equipment :confused:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Dominic Strauss Kan has paid the chambermaid's claim against him and no doubt the costs as well to make the rape allegations go away. She was going to take out a civil case against him. Now why should he do that? Not a nice man I fear.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”