WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 04:03 We're very lucky to have someone as skilled as Ian looking after us.
Agreed. Thanks for your efforts, Ian and I've noted the need to avoid large images.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A couple of things I noticed while the site was down. O'Callaghan's did some work round the Jubilee Fountain a couple of days ago. I wondered if it meant the top was shortly to return...
One for Peter. An oyster fisherman on the River Fal when asked about the state of the trade said that it was 'escalating downwards'.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Oh for the good old days when it was `plummeting upwards'! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: !
That's it, off for a read and I'll cook Liver and onions fresh for Xmas Tea.... I hope you all have a good rest of the day.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 04:03 How many of you did what I did, filled the empty OG hours by doing useful household tasks? I washed the bedding and deep cleaned the kitchen floor..... :biggrin2:
We're very lucky to have someone as skilled as Ian looking after us. We'd be in a fine pickle if it was down to me!

Well - we're back and Spooky immediately strikes again - very reassuringly.
That's exactly what I did too. Well - half the kitchen floor) :smile:

Was it Joni MItchell who said "you don't know what you got till it's gone"? She was right.

Thanks Ian for the rescue. and forgive the thought (no criticism at all is intended) but 20 GB isn't really a lot of memory these days. There must be a way round it.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 12:24 'escalating downwards'.

:sad:
Triggers another Aunty Josie saying "It's improving worse". Usually with a knowing twinkle.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What attracted my attention was the fact that Kahara, who is staying overnight with Nana Susan, decided at 03:00 he wanted to be with her so he swapped beds and pushed 17stone Mick out. I have noted in the past that 20lb Jack Russell Terriers have this power.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 14:50
Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 04:03 How many of you did what I did, filled the empty OG hours by doing useful household tasks? I washed the bedding and deep cleaned the kitchen floor..... :biggrin2:
We're very lucky to have someone as skilled as Ian looking after us. We'd be in a fine pickle if it was down to me!

Well - we're back and Spooky immediately strikes again - very reassuringly.
That's exactly what I did too. Well - half the kitchen floor) :smile:

Was it Joni MItchell who said "you don't know what you got till it's gone"? She was right.

Thanks Ian for the rescue. and forgive the thought (no criticism at all is intended) but 20 GB isn't really a lot of memory these days. There must be a way round it.
For the first bit with regard to household chores if the site is down. I could have bit of fun with that, I can turn the VPS server of with a single click if I thought you were all slacking. :extrawink:

Regarding the 20Gb free there is a fix for that as well. A bigger partition on the virtual hard drive, limiting the size of uploaded images and organising off site storage in some form of cloud to store the backups. All of these are works in progress, watch this space. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 14:50 I can turn the VPS server of with a single click i
Don't even think about it. Though I've finished the kitchen floor. . . :smile:
PanBiker wrote: 26 Dec 2021, 14:50 Regarding the 20Gb free there is a fix for that as well
Good to hear. We are in safe hands, and thanks again. I wrote that whilst having nearby, my trusty removable Freecom SSD drive, which is about the size of a box of Swan Vestas, and very robust - it takes 256 GB of data.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If you decide to accept the mission:

You are to track down and find the UK data centre for IONOS. Gain entry by any clandestine means that you think fit. Interrogate the system to find the SSD storage rack that supports the oneguyfrombarlick website. Without raising the attention of the site security you are then to integrate your 256Gb SSD storage device to enable a free extension to the existing partition provided for the site. You are then to make your escape undetected....

This message will self destruct in 10 seconds , good luck.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I thought it might not be so easy. . . :smile:

However to someone who had the first clue what he is talking about (not me obs ) It should be doable. I was just noting that 20 GB isn't a lot in modern terms. Many free / cheap cloud sites start at 1 TB. I guess the problems start with access and retrieval of data and integration with the rest of the application.

Cloud storage

Good luck and thanks again.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Watch out David.... he might give you the job.
I dropped a small head of Broccoli on the floor while making my tea. Normally straight in the bin but as the floor had been deep cleaned I reckoned it wasn't dangerous, applied the 3 second rule and ate it.. :biggrin2:
One for Peter. See THIS for news of the collapse of two dams in Brazil. Then there was the tailings dam that collapsed over Xmas....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Seven years ago today I was in Airedale General Hospital A&E with a suspected stroke. Discharged later after tests and no further symptoms. I scored above 80 on the stroke chart. A forerunner of the real cause as I was to find out four years later.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What got my attention yesterday was that Mo swung by with Kahara and we had a chat outside in the back street, K was asleep and Mo never got out of the car. Doesn't sound much but it was a kind gesture. Nice to see them and we had a good chat. The only contact I have had with anyone over Xmas.
My son in law Mick was dragged into hospital for a check up after a bout of breathlessness. He's back home now but nobody seems to know what caused it. Worrying....

The yarn fairies have struck on Post Office Corner with a Nativity scene...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well what a surprise! :upside_down: And a new word for Tripps to put on his list: `mumbledom'. Note also the last part of the article saying that TV manufacturers put all the visual gizmos on your TV but leave the sound poor so you'll have to buy a sound bar as well....
`Television mumbling blamed on directors who think it is 'cool' for actors to slur their words: The Institute of Professional Sound says people on screen know how to enunciate, but are told to speak more 'realistically' on set' LINK
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 28 Dec 2021, 04:05 check up after a bout of breathlessness.
Was ECG included - always worth checking heart history for any problems. ( has he been anywhere where the percentage of nasty gases might be up a bit (or become allergic to cats ?)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm with you Peter, mumbling is endemic and I note that some news readers have fallen prey to 'dramatic rendition' where they vary the tone and volume of their speech for dramatic effect. What's even more annoying is that when you mention these things you are told you need hearing aids....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The 'dramatic rendition' that you note is what I've complained about in the past as them using `intonation' rather than normal speech. Journalism courses at Reed International always taught that you should never impose your own views, opinions sentiments etc when reporting news. You should never try, or even appear, to tell your reader/listener, viewer what they should think. You present the facts and let them make their own assessments. But that's all been forgotten now....

The RHS is having its own Mystery Objects fun...
`Appeal to identify scientific curiosities of the past' LINK
I can't add anything more than is already suggested in the article except for the final one which I would guess to be a fumigation cabinet, possibly for treating seeds when they arrive.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 29 Dec 2021, 10:20 The RHS is having its own Mystery Objects fun...
`Appeal to identify scientific curiosities of the past'
I can't add anything more than is already suggested in the article except for the final one which I would guess to be a fumigation cabinet, possibly for treating seeds when they arrive.
The first one looks like some form of press. Or perhaps, looking at the tap at the bottom and the winding mechanism a device for pressurising items.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The branch blown out of the tree next to the War Memorial yesterday. We had some violent gusts. Funny weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Were the Gusts from the South - tree bits and fences flew in london for about 20mins
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A very nice visit from Susan and Mick, both did lateral flow tests. It's a fortnight since I saw them, we decided that I should isolate and not go for Xmas Dinner. S brought me my annual miniature Xmas cake and lump of Wensleydale. I had a taste last night and as usual it is great. Mick is considering a future with Atrial Fibrillation, I cheered him up by telling him he's in good company, Tony Blair had it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Interesting photos and a lovely scale model ship...
`The Corozal: Scottish dredger that helped build the Panama Canal' LINK
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

While Friday might not be the last day of the week, it is the end of the British Working Week for most office workers. Russia have not invaded Ukraine or other EE nations as yet (presumably Biden's Chat helped). There are probably still a few civil wars rumbling in Africa. Its new year in Australia.

Ending the year on a Friday does mean all ones bank bill outgoings are up to date (and for those that get paid on the last working day of the month money in too). A neat tidy end - though DWP / Tax Credit payments due on the Monday that is a bank holiday are brought forward - so maybe a Monday new years eve is better, but we take that and remember that January is an effective 4 week payment month and budget accordingly.
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

It’s midnight in Australia 🇦🇺

HAPPY NEW YEAR 2022

😊 💥 🥂 🌈 💥
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”