WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by PanBiker »

I saw a news report yesterday which featured a 26 year old woman or thereabouts who has just qualified and she loves it especially doing night shift driving. She said she was used to that as she used to work through the night in a supermarket. She looks at it as an investment to accrue some savings. No shortage of work, guaranteed hours and a bonus wage for night work. With the modern tractor units it's no different to driving a car on the physical side of things. Just the size and weight implications to master above and beyond the normal driving skills. She does moving and shifting predominantly inside the M25 loop.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The Mercedes Actros I drove for a bit was fairly straightforward, an 8 speed gearbox with a tiptronic shifter. The 500bhp Scania 124L was probably the best one I drove, a 4 over 4 range change with a splitter (effectively 16 forward and 4 reverse gears). The actual driving mechanism may be similar to a car and, a rigid LGV will be the same principle forwards and backwards. Gets a bit more involved with a tractor unit and 44ft trailer. It all 'arse about face' going backwards :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Gets even more involved with a two axled trailer on a short 'A' frame dolly. :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The fact that 20 years ago today I was in Minnesota watching the World Trade attack in real time.I happened to switch on the TV for the news and saw the first plane strike. I rang Martha and we sat there and watched all day as it unfolded. Unforgettable.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 08:04 The fact that 20 years ago today I was in Minnesota watching the World Trade attack in real time.I happened to switch on the TV for the news and saw the first plane strike. I rang Martha and we sat there and watched all day as it unfolded. Unforgettable.
Was it not the 11th?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 08:23
Stanley wrote: 09 Sep 2021, 08:04 The fact that 20 years ago today I was in Minnesota watching the World Trade attack in real time.I happened to switch on the TV for the news and saw the first plane strike. I rang Martha and we sat there and watched all day as it unfolded. Unforgettable.
Was it not the 11th?
Yes it was. It was one of those days that you remember exactly where you were at a moment in time. I was at St Ted's in Burnley working in the school alone through the September break. I heard the first report on the radio and went down to the science technicians office where they had a TV. I also watched it all day, transfixed.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS Guardian article on the latest economic figures which show a sharp decrease in GDP figures in July. Too early to say what this indicates but there needs to be a sharp increase if the Treasury's forecast is to be achieved. There will be arguments as to which is the biggest factor, Brexit or Covid. The government will no doubt go for Covid. We shall see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

GDP raised by 0.1%. GDP = the amount of money sloshing about in the economy. Figures quoted against pre-pandemic level. ie: we should be adding at least another 2% to the target level. Getting it back up is no real problem just put prices up. Those who can afford will pay more therefore spend more. Those who can't afford probably wouldn't be spending anyhow. Win ,Win, problem solved.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I still think we haven't seen the full impact of Brexit yet and probably Covid as well.
I think a lot of people might be watching the Leylah Fernandez and Emma Raducanu final at 21:00 tonight.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think it must be Emma Raducanu winning the final in the US Open. She has cracked it, got her A Levels, won the tennis and become a millionaire all in three months. She looks sensible, I hope she can handle it and is well protected. A fairy tale could become a nightmare. This is a cruel world.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The narrow escape Lewis Hamilton had yesterday. (LINK)
Then at 06:00 a video call from Margaret and Mick from a mine that I have written about as it is mentioned in the LTP, the Sons of Gwalia mine, where Herbert Hoover, future 31st president of the US was the manager. Isn't it marvellous that we can have a face to face conversation in real time separated by 10,000 miles....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

The F1 crash was scary and it was shocking that Verstappen appeared to walk away without even checking that Hamilton was OK.

I was awake in the early hours and spotted this visitor testing the cctv cameras...
LBH-Farm_34_20210913072824429.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Hello Raynard :smile:

Tomorrow will be a busy day. I have a telephone appointment with my doc to discuss my blood and sample results. It's the re-commencement of our cancer support group meetings at the centre in the afternoon and I have an Executive Committee meeting for the Labour Party at Barroword in the evening.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I thought that too Wendy. I see the race stewards held him responsible and he is fined 3 places on the grid at the next race. I don't like Verstappen, there's a very selfish streak in him, he reminds me of Rosberg and Vettel....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Trying to check the time of my appointment with the MyGP app on my phone. I'm fairly sure it gives a slot time on there. Problem is I cant log on. It uses the NHS login account which I have used without problem in the past. I have tried resetting my password three times with three different variants and it still wont work. :sad: I have emailed the app support team who's automatic reply says they will contact me within two days! They add that they don't provide medical services and if its and emergency I should call 999!
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Just checked my PatientAccess app, on the strength of your post Ian, and it's working OK.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I found another way of logging in using a numeric pass code, my appointment tomorrow is at 15.30 :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good stuff :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I checked mine, it has always been a number. Working fine.
News that some farmers are being paid to tip their milk down the drain because transport firms couldn't fulfil their duty to collect the milk because of shortage of drivers. Mullers, the dairy firm involved say that this is a local problem but there are reports about it happening in other parts of the country.
Another small matter that grabbed me. Sprouts on sale at Chaudrey's. Xmas must be coming....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Unexpected email from our plumber yesterday tea time. Offering a next Monday (20th Sept) start for our bathroom replacement. I agreed of course, this will mean we can get it all sorted before Autumn and Winter kicks in. :smile:

I was originally given a projected date into late October or November but they can now reschedule due to new buildings work being delayed.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The news that a quarter of the army recruits have a reading age below 11 years(?). I'm not sure of the figure but it's shamefully low.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 14 Sep 2021, 02:37 I checked mine, it has always been a number. Working fine.
News that some farmers are being paid to tip their milk down the drain because transport firms couldn't fulfil their duty to collect the milk because of shortage of drivers. Mullers, the dairy firm involved say that this is a local problem but there are reports about it happening in other parts of the country.
Another small matter that grabbed me. Sprouts on sale at Chaudrey's. Xmas must be coming....
And the mince pies and cheap chocolate tubs on sale in the supermarkets.
With the Milk its another loss of the likes of the Milk Marketing Board. Was the establishment of the National Freight Corporation (effectly the nationalised road services of British Rail and other acquired A licence haulage operators) one of creating a fairly decent (or rolled up into RTITB) training services for Goods Drivers?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

3 advertising posts for Adidas shoes on the site this morning, I deleted them and have informed the bloodhounds, Wendy and Ian who will do all the zapping that's required. (If I did it I'd probably zap the site.... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Job done. :gatlin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you ever wondered how the site remains so free of bad posts like this? Wendy and Ian are very effective when we are attacked.
The fact I near the end of the bad casting saga in the shed. I can't tell you what a relief it will be when that engine goes out of the door!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”