WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tizer »

No wonder so many people lose their savings to thieves...
`Pets' names used as passwords by millions, study finds' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We even have Make America Great Again. MAGA . being Trump's password. :laugh5:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 09 Apr 2021, 08:27 No wonder so many people lose their savings to thieves...
`Pets' names used as passwords by millions, study finds' LINK
Well if you are going to also put your pets on facebook (other social media is avalible). My cousin called her dog Ceaser (well it made a change from Nero), When i was younger my Goldfish I named (first one came from a funfair and eventually ate the rest). Woodblock, Hammer and Nail. Currently have a sometimes visting cat (well two), I named them Crumpet and Muffin.

Meanwhile wall to wall TV fawning over the death of the Duke of Edinburgh. Flag (Royal Standard ? At Half Mast) , OK his award scheme has encouraged a number of young people (I was never considered by school for it - maybe I went to an odd school, or maybe one had to be in the girl guides or whatever ). My mums Aunt lived to 99years of age too (died a good 20 years ago!). Best said about Prince Philip that he made the monarchy and the Royal Family what it is today.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good to tell what is going to be in the media for the next * days. The elephant in the room will be how long has Brenda got? But nobody will mention that directly. They will just make allusions to it.
Obituaries are being re-written and brought up to date as we watch. I'm off to watch Youtube.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Female hormones / chromozones tend to mean women live longer than their partners, she is made of strong stuff but I would call it at 97.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good job Town flag was at half mast for Tony Greaves. Saved a job for someone.....
Later.... World service was largely Philip free but that changed immediately as soon as BBC came in with the news at 05:00. I fear it could be another day of blanket coverage.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

it would not be the first time that 'Royal' deaths appear to have been optimised to give the best media cover. Not available for ordinary mortals but very convenient to die at home.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: I get the feeling Ken that you are as cynical about this whole process as I am.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Streaming Absolute Classic Rock, no 15 minute death announcements on there. As for last night's TV schedule, thank goodness for Netflix. It's sad that he's died but he's had a very good innings and I don't need to to be reminded every 15 minutes.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

BBC Radio is the same today also, all programs rescheduled. No jolly music at all when we woke to the radio this morning.

One thing that I thought of, there is an agreed mourning dress code for the TV presenters, black suit and tie etc. I wonder if the radio presenters have had to wind the clock back to previous times when they all rocked up in evening suits and dickie bows. Are they obliged to the same dress code as the TV bods even though we cant see them?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I've moved on to Greatest Hits Radio (Lancashire).
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Good morning Mrs Tiz
20210410_101841.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

She's gone off to make a cup of tea and do some crocheting of an octopus (honestly) and hasn't seen your pic or she would have mentioned it and asked me to comment. You won't get a comment direct from `herself' though - she loves reading OG forums but is strictly not a forum poster. Just like the way she never wants to be called `a scientist' even though she was head of a school science department. She's more like one of those Victorian ladies who had a broad knowledge of natural history and could embarrass Oxford and Cambridge dons with their wealth of knowledge. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"It's sad that he's died but he's had a very good innings and I don't need to to be reminded every 15 minutes."
Hear hear Kev. What's more I get angry at the number of talking heads who are making him out to being the Second Coming!
I just long for someone who has a contrary view to say so.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've been waiting for a proposal of canonisation - of course he is a god in Vanuatu, where he's known in pidgin as ' fella b'long Mrs Queen'.
I read that -

"A tribe in the remote island nation of Vanuatu who hailed Prince Philip as a god will mark his death with ritual wailing and ceremonial dancing, an expert has said. "

Meanwhile I've got my copy of 'War of the Windsors' (thanks Plaques) out to refresh my memory.

Still trying to get my head round the idea that the King of Greece was Danish, and that Queen Victoria sort has a lot to answer for. I wonder what he would have become of him,had he not married Brenda? Mountbatten would still have been his uncle which would have greatly helped his ambitions.

It also reinforces my thought that had we lost WWII we'd still have the same royal family.

At least they have had the good sense not to cancel the Grand National. Let's retain some sense of proportion. :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 12 Apr 2021, 11:31, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

""A tribe in the remote island nation of Vanuatu who hailed Prince Philip as a god will mark his death with ritual wailing and ceremonial dancing, an expert has said. ""

I heard an anthropologist who is in direct contact with the two cults concerned in the worship. They were having a meeting this morning to decide what to do. One possibility is installing Charles as successor to his father, the other is to convert into a political party.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Have just gone to bed (8.30pm) to watch “Escape to the country”.
A very windy and cool night and I opened the window as usual as I love to sleep in a stiff breeze.
Hubby said “it is blowing a bloody gale!”
I turned to him with a smile on my face and said “Yes...isn’t it lovely?” :biggrin2:
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Puppet monarchs controlled by overseas dictatorships, In England, Really ?

It all got a bit much when BBC 1 had the news (99% Philip) and BBC 2 at the same time had 'News Special on the demise and life of the Queen's Consort. I didnt go up to the BBC News Channel once I noticed that even Channel 5 had news reports for an hour on the Duke's expiration.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:06 She's gone off to make a cup of tea and do some crocheting of an octopus
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:51 At least they have had the good sense not to cancel the Grand National.
If Dick Francis had written it - they would have said it was fanciful. Hoiwever it has happened - I saw it. Rachael Blackmore has won.

Hooray. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

🤔 I’m trying to think how useful a crocheted octopus might be...

I fancy getting stuck into some paper mache, but I am thinking long and hard about all this mess before I make it 🤣. Have to think which corner of the castle to use, because I am bound to be at it for weeks if I take the plunge (and His Lordship can’t tolerate mess). It won’t be portable and neat like crocheting an Octopus...I suspect the dining table will be quite out of the question.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, my reply seems to have vanished. I watched the National as well. Saw my pick, Cloth Cap pulled up and then Rachel, my second favourite, fight them all off to win. Lovely result and so significant....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Marilyn wrote: 11 Apr 2021, 02:43 🤔 I’m trying to think how useful a crocheted octopus might be...
Well it adds some variety to the Easter bunnies! :extrawink:
Stanley wrote: 10 Apr 2021, 10:41 Hear hear Kev. What's more I get angry at the number of talking heads who are making him out to being the Second Coming!
I just long for someone who has a contrary view to say so.....
Matthew Parris in The Times tells how one of his friends (gay) met Philip at one of those award ceremonies at the Palace and said he was touched to find they'd allowed him to bring along his partner. Philip's response was simply `Nothing to do with me'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not the most empathetic of men despite what the great and the good are saying about him.
In the real world.... I have just had my short walk, very cold and two things got my attention.

The back street wall that collapsed has been rebuilt in the original stone and style. It is a good match to what was there before and the adjacent walls. Ready for pointing now....

O'Callaghan are good at starting jobs, this is the third. Where they slip up is finishing, none of them at the moment.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Not the fault of the contractors, according to BTC they are currently building oxygen stores for hospitals. They were put on hold, while funding for additional paving works in adjoining streets, was released by LCC. One end of the town square is being used as a compound while the surrounding streets are repaved. There's currently a Facebook 'war of words' over various claims of which political party procured funds for which bit.
Word on the street is it will all be finished by the summer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”