WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

plaques
Donor

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by plaques »

On the 21st they are doing Langroyd. The Chaos computer must be working overtime. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

A large section of the pioneer car park is going to be used for a drop in jab centre on Sunday. Today Saturday actually. I was wrong.
Road planing didn't affect me.... :biggrin2:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'll bet this man's mates call him Jonah now!
`Humpback whale gulps and spits out Cape Cod lobsterman' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That same thought came to me as well Peter.
I was forced to recognise that my antique Philips razor has bitten the dust, it's not cutting at all. I have bitten the bullet and ordered a new one. As near as I can get, it's the same one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I always had to buy Phillips razors because my father worked for the company and he wouldn't consider any other make. Mine failed recently and I thought I'd break out and try a Remington - bad decision, it didn't work so well for me and then it died after a few months. I'm back with a Phillips! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That reassures me Peter. I was wondering whether I should try something different. I had a good examination yesterday and the reason it has failed is that I have sharpened the cutters so much I have run out of cutting edge!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I'd enjoy a chat with this man. I suspect the young YouTube folk who like him need to realise that if they talked to each other more slowly and thought about what they were saying they could be like him too!
`Former farmer, 84, is accidental YouTube star' short BBC video
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My Philips razor is promised to arrive this week, the sooner the better, I have an interesting stubble....
Looking at that farmer perhaps I ought to grow a beard again......

:biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My face changing as the beard grows..... I thought this morning that it made me look younger. Must be affecting my judgement as well as my appearance.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

My father had a short flirtation with a beard after he forgot to take his razor (that's his story) when they were on a long caravan touring holiday. He thought he looked very smart in it and of course he got a lot of attention (which he loved) from people who knew him on his return. But when he eventually shaved it off everyone said `That's taken 10 years off you!'
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The hotel I have booked for July 7th may now be overbooked following the extension of restrictions. It's looking as though they gambled on all restrictions being lifted on June 21st so 50% of those booked in will now have their break cancelled so the hotel complies with restrictions. Will have to wait for notification of whether I booked before or after 50% capacity was reached...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Hard luck if it happens Kev. There will be many in the same position I fear.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The question is ' is your hotel half full or half empty.? Got to keep these sayings up-to-date. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It was always a gamble booking anything, I'll just do somethng else at a later date if it happens. It's a full refund if it is cancelled so no financial loss.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The razor arrived yesterday. I haven't read the destructions yet (A job for this morning as I think it is wet and dry) but I had a shave and realised what I had been missing all these years! Like a miracle and the best shave I have had for years. I think we may get on together.
(PS despite a text message saying that unless a surcharge was paid it would be sent to the post office. The scam I mentioned yesterday.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jun 2021, 03:04 (PS despite a text message saying that unless a surcharge was paid it would be sent to the post office. The scam I mentioned yesterday.)
Was it simply a generic scam that happened to coincide with you waiting for a delivery or did it have details of what you'd ordered and where from?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I came across this today. Shackleton crash 1955

It caught my attention because, I once went for a boat trip from Blackpool beach in an ex miltary DUKW amphibious landing craft. They never missed a money making opportunity in Blackpool. :smile:

On the way back to land, the crew retrieved from the water, a life jacket. They said it must be 'from that crash'. Even then I was a suspicious devil, and wondered whether they had staged it for a bit of extra excitement for the punters.

Having read the above - considering that the date and the location were compatible, I think it could well have been from that double Shackleton crash.

The cross, near Owd Betts, seems within range of a walk by Sue and Bob, and as she says 'If you keep searching you will find it'. I haven't ever searched, and yet I think I've found it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Generic Peter, no details, and exactly like others I have had. I just delete them.
David, you have reminded me of a day at Hooton air show when I saw a Meteor crash during a display. We dug into it in Winged Heroes and here's some of what we found.

Post by Stanley » Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:23 am
I've been furtling and found the following on the web about the airshow crash I mentioned which we covered on the old site. 1954 is the correct date. The Meteors were doing a tail chase in a loop and one pilot failed to pull out, straight in to the ground at full speed.
By Eric Shipley, 29 November 2012 @ 8:52 pm
I was also at the Battle of Britain Open day in 1955 and remember well watching the Meteor tailchase in which the second aircraft hit the ground almost vertically following a half roll. I had an uncle named Bill Rosinson which re-inforced my recollection of the incident.
Jimmy Edwards of “Take it from here” fame was doing the commentary at the time andcompletely dried up. There was no further PA announcement and people slowly drifted away when it became obvious this was not some kind of stunt. I was 15 at the time so the memory is quite vivid.

By Paul Barrett- Brown, 20 May 2014 @ 10:20 am
The crash was in 1954 and I witnessed it. My farther, Squadron leader A. Brown (deceased), used to fly into Hooton park regularly in a chipmunk so was familiar with the airfield (he flew Sunderland flying-boats during the war). He took us to see the air display on that fateful day; I was twelve at the time.
As I recall, the aircraft involved peeled-out of a low-level, follow-my-leader display, went upwards for some distance and then came back down almost vertically, impacting on the opposite side of the runway (the river side) to the watching crowds. The fire-ball was huge so I guess the aircraft was carrying a fair amount of fuel. My father visited the crash site and later told me that the crater was big enough to swallow a small house. Rumour has it that the pilot was in contact with the control tower and refused to bail out as the aircraft was almost uncontrollable and he (the pilot) was concerned that the aircraft might veer-off into the crowd – perhaps he flew it into the safest area he could manage – away from the crowd and also avoiding the many fuel and chemical storage tanks to be found in the area at that time – it would be interesting to read the accident investigation report.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 18 Jun 2021, 02:52 ...it would be interesting to read the accident investigation report.
Flight Safety Foundation

The press cutting shown in this forum page is interesting: Key Aero
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To lighten the mood, here's how to beat squirrels...
`Squirrel's sinking feeling as Ipswich gardener thwarts food theft' LINK

...and the BBC Week in Pictures: LINK
It's the last picture that I like best! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not me Peter but Paul Barrett- Brown but interesting nevertheless.

Here's a pic taken at the time at Hooton. The aircraft on the left at the front of the line is the one that crashed.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The things we do to support our human obsession with warfare - just imagine how many sea creatures were killed or rendered deaf by this explosion...
`US Navy uses 40,000lb explosive to test warship in 'Full Ship Shock Trial'' LINK

After that, here's something to cheer us up, a better obsession for humans - art!...
`Tankers and Transit vans sculpted into steel forests' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree Peter.... So many things today seem to me to be overkill.
We have an example in Barlick this morning. The main road through the town is closed at the junction of Fern Lea Avenue and Skipton Road It would appear to be the repairing of potholes but after assembling all the plant and closing the road with a forest of cones everyone is standing round for some unknown reason. There must be ten vehicles and 15 to 20 men loitering about. God knows where the traffic has been diverted to.
In my day my life was organised so that I worked from when I went out of the door in the morning until I arrived home at night. That seems to be an old-fashioned concept today. Or am I just a whingeing old fart?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Post office corner this morning. Lots of spray painted marks delineating broken tarmac but yesterday must have been a no show. Despite all the vehicles and personnel and closing the road, nothing has been done. Total waste of time.
By the way, something will have to be done with the safety railing since it was hit by a vehicle recently.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

They are on the job in force again. Complete closure (God knows where the buses are going....) They have started cutting out patches at the lights and have got to the end of Albert Road. Will they reach the post office corner? Tension mounts.
It's bloody ridiculous and it would have been far better to plane the road and resurface from the lights to Post Office corner.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 22 Jun 2021, 12:06 It's bloody ridiculous and it would have been far better to plane the road and resurface from the lights to Post Office corner.
They did that here on Skipton New Road (A56) between the Four Elephants and Causeway, caused mayhem last week but it's a much better road surface there now.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”