WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Stanley »

:good: Thanks Wendy...
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Back to the mundane. I believe that both Spar garages are closed due to technical matters, the tills are bust so they cant process payments. So no petrol available in the town.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Dec 2021, 14:08 Back to the mundane. I believe that both Spar garages are closed due to technical matters, the tills are bust so they cant process payments. So no petrol available in the town.
Several on Facebook are reporting them as closed too. Kelbrook is open, I've just walked past it on the way to the Stone Trough for a bit o' dinner.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Congratulations on the new member of the clan, Stanley! :sunny3:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Peter. They tell me that KK, the head of the clan in Kenya, is informing the world.....
Mick asked me how old my CH boiler was and I didn't know. I had a look this morning and it's 16 years old.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Miles Hutchinson's Pie Shop Christmas opening times seem honest and straightforward :biggrin2:
FB_IMG_1638794751352.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm listening to PM Johnson telling us about his drive to reduce drug use.
No mention of the Parliamentary toilets and can someone please tell me what the difference is between a drug addict and a 'recreational user'.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I noticed that Bozo when interviewed was impersonating a Police Officer when he came "up norf" to Liverpool. Obviously where all the nasty drug dealers are of course. I wonder who supplies the House of Inequity, (sorry the Houses of Parliament) with all the cocaine found in the toilets?

On another matter, why wasn't he challenged by another copper to show his warrant card and then arrested and charged for impersonating a Police Officer which is an offence under the law of the land. Surely no one is above the law?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 13:13 ...can someone please tell me what the difference is between a drug addict and a 'recreational user'.
These days it's probably all down to what you wish to self-identify as.
Signed,
Father Christmas
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Or most likely a need to avoid being classified with the oiks Peter.
What attracted my attention is another pic of Lily. She is quite adorable, I have fallen in love again.
How lucky can one man be, two lovely great grandchildren within 7 miles of where I live.....
Three yellow weather warnings for the same day. Never seen three before....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 06 Dec 2021, 15:06 I noticed that Bozo when interviewed was impersonating a Police Officer when he came "up norf" to Liverpool. Obviously where all the nasty drug dealers are of course. I wonder who supplies the House of Inequity, (sorry the Houses of Parliament) with all the cocaine found in the toilets?

On another matter, why wasn't he challenged by another copper to show his warrant card and then arrested and charged for impersonating a Police Officer which is an offence under the law of the land. Surely no one is above the law?
This gaff came up on a news story on Facebook and just about everyone of the 70 odd comments I scanned at the time said the same thing regarding impersonation of a Police Officer. He looked like the plonker that he is as well. Bang him up!
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The very man, caught in the act...

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Do you think the scouse coppers were having a laugh when they gave him the stuff to wear? Why does he remind me of a condom. :laugh5:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He may need to borrow that stab vest and wear it all the time....
I agree with you Ian and I'm almost certain the police were taking the piss.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Why are some UK coins magnetic?' Royal Mint
I notice the statement: When plated steel coins are attached to a magnet, the coins themselves become magnetised as the magnetic force travels through them. With a strong enough magnet you’re able to attach coins to each other and ‘dangle’ them and some amazing feats of balance and ingenuity can be achieved.
If you put magnetised coins in your pocket with a USB stick I wonder if the data might be corrupted?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Aldi have announced their supermarkets will be closed Christmas Day and Boxing Day, they will be open on the following bank holidays, 27th and 28th.
Screenshot_20211208-153948_Gmail.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 08 Dec 2021, 11:29 If you put magnetised coins in your pocket with a USB stick I wonder if the data might be corrupted?
I thought I had replied to this once but must have cancelled the post rather than posting, Doh!

My point was: Probably not Peter. USB sticks use NVM (non volatile memory) and are not based on any type of ferrous substrate. Now if you had an old reel to reel 1/4" tape or a compact cassette in your pocket or even a 3.5" or 5.25"" floppy disk ( the latter might be a bit of a problem shoving it in your pocket), that would be a different matter.

We used to use a large electromagnet for degaussing the old colour TV cathode ray tubes. They used a metal "shadow mask" which had around 250,000 tapered holes in it that sat behind the glass between the electron stream from the guns in the tube neck and the primary coloured phosphor dots which were on the back of the glass. The shadow mask was extremely thin and had a tendency to become magnetised in the corners and up the sides where the scanning reversed. That made the electron streams deflect through the wrong holes and consequently excite the wrong colours on the screen. It was a mains powered hand held coil with a push button to switch it on. You had to switch it one if front of the set while doing a circular motion with the coil and reversing away from the set as far as the lead would allow, (about 10 to 12 ft), you then turned the coil off. You could repeat the action on large metallic objects in the room such as fixed radiators and such. We used to degauss the room before we did a new installation as residual magnetism could build up simply due to the earth's magnetic field and folk moving around on carpeted surfaces nearby.

I use small powerful neodymium magnets with pennies underneath to fasten stuff to the walls in my radio station corner in the attic. I can usually find a suitable buried plasterboard nail where I need one. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for that extensive reply, Ian, especially if you had to type it a second time. If YouTube videos had been possible at the time you did those degaussings I bet someone would have recorded you and put it out as a comedy sketch - you must have looked like your were doing a strange dance!

I like your use of the neodymium magnets. I believe some railway modellers use them now for coupling/uncoupling their rolling stock. And the metal ball ones are great fun!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I used to have two of those magnets, one for wiping cassettes and the larger one for reel to reel tapes. I don't remember getting rid of them.
Peter, this struck me in that article about steel coins. in 2013 The Royal Mint began a programme to recover old 5p and 10p coins from circulation." I'll bet they did, they would be worth more for scrap than as legal tender.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Indulge me here. . . .

This video from Youtube - a Chinese guy showing people around Failsworth puzzled me for a while. Failsworth property I think I may have found the reason for it.

I've just seen that when we invited 3 million Hong Kong Chinese to come to UK we meant it. Seen on Sky News that 2,500 per week are currently arriving - many to the Sutton area. See here for detail Hong Kong arrivals

Seems with relatives, the total will be in the region of 5 million people. Lets hope there are lots of HGV drivers and a few pork butchers amongst them. :smile:

PS It's a weird feeling to be given a guided tour of the town of my parents and grandparents by a guy in Chinese. We went past the pub where we had Aunty Josie's funeral lunch just three years ago, and he drives past the Bethel Church which had this memorial on it. I wonder what my Gt Uncle would have made of it all.

The comments below the video, which is just one of many, show there is a connection. Can't copy it but says words to the effect - "Better be a beggar and breathe free air, but do not return to Hong Kong."
Harry Trippier Bethel memorial.jpg
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 12 Dec 2021, 18:23 Indulge me here. . . .

This video from Youtube - a Chinese guy showing people around Failsworth puzzled me for a while. Failsworth property I think I may have found the reason for it.

I've just seen that when we invited 3 million Hong Kong Chinese to come to UK we meant it. Seen on Sky News that 2,500 per week are currently arriving
In the times when Homes under the Hammer was on at 10am weekdays there were a couple of investor agents buying at auction and doing them up for their Chinese/Hong Kong Clients.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Maybe flats in London once upon a time, but in Failsworth? :smile: This is target specific.

I just realised I could translate the comments, and found one of the questions was- "Can I buy three for 160.000 yuan" ? A bit optimistic I think that's about £16,000. The answwer was - check it out on Rightmove. :smile:

It will please the Tories though as it will support the housing market for ages.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why does my mind go to Flock Wallpaper?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is worth a look. I'm glad I don't live there!... :smile:
`Cars written off by Watford road bollards caught on camera' LINK
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

The National Rail timetable changes kick in 12/12 , adding in a new station - Soham in Cambridgeshire, most other changes are restorations of Covid Cut backs so London-Manchester 3 times a day now (just as we are told to work from home). Middlesborough gets a direct LNER train to London ( but there is a slightly later train that gets you earlier to London with a change). Bristol loses its Bath-Salisbury- London Waterloo LSWR service

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”