WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Tripps
VIP Member

Re: WHAT ATTRACTED YOUR ATTENTION TODAY?

Post by Tripps »

I shall watch too. at 14.05 to Dubai. Flying by proxy. :smile: I hope the preliminaries go well The boss there resigned after a shambolic episode in departures earlier in the week.

I was going to comment on various matters including Robert Maxwell - buried on The Mount of Olives - they're first to be roused on judgement day I'm told - what an ego ! - with an almost state funeral including a eulogy from the Israeli P.M. So that's KGB, MI6 and Mossad - the full set.

Also Baron Pendry of Stalybridge - disciplined by the House of Lords for bullying staff - he's 88 years old for goodness sake. Then my strange memory couldn't get Stuart Hall out of mind- a quick google of Pendry / Hall showed why. Try it.

Dishy Rishi becomes even more fishy. I'd say that's the end for him - even though no rules have been broken at all - honestly guv. Not a good time to be taken rich. I looked at Indian income tax rates - not for the faint hearted. I actually already knew that a tax was called a 'cess', and they have a different system for big numbers. For instance a 'lakh' is 100,000, and a Crore is equal to 100Lakh, or 10 millions. All nuimbers which I'm sure will be familiar to Mr and Mrs Sunak. As the young bloods of The East India Company in Kipling's time, used to say' "A lass and a lakh a day". (Allegedly :smile: ) I'm sure his memsahib pays every rupee that's due on her Indian dividends to the Indian Government.

A common factor in these people seems to be a overwhelming and compelling urge to serve their constituents in Government. Very commendable. Im sure. Rishi doubtless appreciates the £166,000 salary which will help with his fuel bill - I think he has five or six properties so it must be a struggle. Is it just possible there are more benefits for him and his connections?

Maxwell and Pendry were both MP's - but then again so was Jeffrey Archer! I'm starting to think that a wish to be an MP should automatically rule you out.

I was also going to speak about the fact that the boat race has been and gone - and I didn't notice - that's odd, and Koji looked different last night, but that's because its a different actor - but it none of it matters much so I won't.

Have a nice rest of your day - as people keep infuriatingly saying to me at the checkout. :smile:

****************************************************************************************************************************
PS Here's where I came across 'cess' previously Cow cess - a green measure

Punjab Gau Sewa Commission said there are 2.69 lakh cows in the state in 472 shelters, while there are 1.06 lakh stray cows.
"In last two years, 280 people lost their lives because of accidents involving stray cattle in the state," Bhagat said. He said as per the Punjab Municipal Corporation Act 1976, it is the responsibility of municipal bodies to look after cattle in the state. — PTI
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The eagle didn't get off the ground until 14:50 David, almost an hour late. She is heading out over the North Sea at the moment. 12 hours to Dubai......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 07 Apr 2022, 14:03 The eagle didn't get off the ground until 14:50 David, almost an hour late. She is heading out over the North Sea at the moment. 12 hours to Dubai......
Latest report from Facebook, Margaret was checking into the 1st class lounge, at 22:20, in Dubai airport for a 7 hour stopover. I'd need a proper bed :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Correct Kev. I got mail. So nice to know where your daughters are!
04:00. Update, EK 420 leaves at 05:15 our time. M is waiting to board.
Her flight left Dubai at 06:15 UK time....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Margaret is safely back in Perth and has had a good sleep. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

It's been a year since Colin came home from hospital after his operation. It's been a tough one in many ways but he is hopefully getting back on track now.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And a lot of that is due to good care...... Treasures in heaven!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I don't think so Stanley, I've just looked after myself and allowed him to get on with it in his own way! :laugh5:
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Ilkley: A tour of the Sunday Times' best place to live winner' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 09 Apr 2022, 10:53 `Ilkley: A tour of the Sunday Times' best place to live winner' LINK
We quite like Ilkley :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The number of Facebook users who are still posting negative comments on the P&O Cruises page about the actions of P&O Ferries. Some of it is laughable, these people have the internet at their fingertips...
I'll bet a shilling the majority have had their personal details stolen as they believe the FB posts, 'the first person to reply and leave all their details at www.stupid.com will win this £70,000 RV :biggrin2:

These people vote too, now that's a worry.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Thanks to Mrs Sunak non-doms have been brought to peoples notice. Here is a little snippet people may like to ponder over.

How many non doms are there in the UK?
The study by the London School of Economics and the University of Warwick found that the number of people who had ever claimed non-dom status in the UK rose from 162,000 in 2001 to 238,000 in 2018.

Singapore on Thames??

We must remember that they are not non doms to avoid tax, no not a bit of it, they are here to invest there money and make the UK a happier place. But if they are making profits here they would be paying tax here. So why non dom? A bit like the Russian oligarchs investing in property and as an aside funding the Conservative party.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I saw this in this week's Spectator. Thought the name rang a bell - don't fancy the butty though . . . .
Aspin.JPG

PS - I fancy Dark Work for the Grand national. :smile:
**************************************************************************************************************

PPS Came 3rd at 10/1 though it was 14/1 when I first fancied it. I'd call that a result.

Fairy story - last ride by this likeable amateur jockey. First runner for this young likeable trainer.

Sponsor: Randox Health. Big in health testing. (Covid anyone?) PR visit to Alder Hey Childrens Hospital yesterday.
Owner: Robert Waley Cohen. Founder of Alliance Medical who seem to own all the scanners, and do all the scans for the NHS.
Jockey: Sam Waley Cohen. Founder of Portman Dental. they own 160 dental practices.

All immensly wealthy - and can you see a pattern emerging here? Your NHS is safe with us.

On the whole, think I preferred it when it was sponsored by Martell Cognac. :smile:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, yes, that's my mate Chris. I shall mail him to let him know he's been spotted.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He wanted to know if you were Sir David, I told him yes but the Cambridge Trippier!
Good news that my friend Daniel is in remission from MS and when I mailed him yesterday he replied from Frankfurt airport. He had been to Darmstadt to give a lecture on his images. Long may it continue!!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Martin Lewis, commenting on the fact that today's pension and benefit rises fall behind inflation has said that civil unrest isn't far away.
I fear he may be right. It was one of the things that Piketty warned about as well. There are people going hungry and cold and the main inflation hasn't hit yet. Does Sunak understand this?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I've been a bit of a fan of Mongolian throat singing for quite a while now - yes honestly. I have a track on my phone.

I came across this formidable team today. I amused myself by wondering what their reaction would be to getting a 'Fixed Penalty Notice' for accidently stumbling into a party. :laugh5:

The HU - Wolf Totem

PS No excuse for spelling The Great Khaan Chinggis wrong now. :smile:

This is the geezer that's on my phone. Tuvan throat singing

The horses look well don't they. What say Wendyf? Think this needs its own thread. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I was wondering why the horses were just standing there, not grazing or touching each other, it took me a while to see the tethering system!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can't see the Huddersfield Choral Society converting to throat singing.....
Later.... my dodgy keyboard packed up so I have ordered a new one while making do with an old one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I hope you've ordered the new one from somewhere reliable! :smile:

Meanwhile, something new for the police to get their heads around...
`Self-driving car stopped by San Francisco police' LINK
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 12 Apr 2022, 20:55 I was wondering why the horses were just standing there, not grazing or touching each other,
I saw the system, but until you mentioned it hadn't thought that it's a bit harsh to keep a grazing herd animal like that. Still they've been keeping horses for a long time, and they look very well to me. If they do a runner, the steppes are vast, and it might be difficult to catch them. :smile:

The route to the music was via googling the postage stamps which I'd had as a child and been impressed by the size and shape. Stamps Tannu Tuva :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 09:10 I hope you've ordered the new one from somewhere reliable! :smile:
Or he could have got one from the shop up town. Support your local retailers.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Even better! :good:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Further to The HU. They cook as aggressively as they sing.

Try this for back to basics, but apply a serious trigger warning for any vegetarians. :smile: Mongolian soup etc.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How nice of you to worry about my keyboard. The 'shop uptown' doesn't stock the keyboard I want Ian. I asked.
Peter, after my last experience I didn't piss about, I went straight to Logitech and paid a bit more but it will be delivered today and I think this time might be OK.
The sheer brass neck of Johnson, Sunak and the Tories who are defending the indefensible.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”