WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: WHAT DID WE HAVE FOR TEA?

Post by Stanley »

I started a mutton stew with the last 4 mutton chops, I have ordered half a sheep! Steak pudding, sprouts and mixed veggies for dinner and the same for tea with a small pork pie. All were laced with the sweet plum tomatoes. Stewed plums and cream for pudding, only a small helping, I'm making it last because it is so good!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The mutton stew came on flow today. Mutton, sprouts, peas, carrots, cauliflower and sweet plum tomatoes. Lovely stuff and I had it for dinner and tea. Next to last small helping of plums and cream for pudding.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The stew is in the fridge and being milked each day, it's lovely stuff and by handling it this way the veggies retain their crunch. I extended it by adding more peas. I had it for dinner and tea and afters was the last of the stewed plums and Jersey cream.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The mutton and veggies X two for dinner and tea. I have thickened it less and it's an improvement. I chopped two onions and put them in it and as they have never been cooked but simply warmed up in the microwave they are very crunchy and add a sharp bite to the taste. I tend more and more towards partly cooked veggies, they don't need boiling to a mush with constant re-heating. I've always been aware of bacterial activity once cooked but this way seems to be OK. No signs of any problems!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had judged the stew well. There was just enough to cater for dinner and tea and leave the fridge clear for today's butcher's shop. I do like a clean sweep each Thursday.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I bought one of Kathy's 'healthy pizzas, cooked it and some sprouts, divided it into two helpings and had them for dinner and tea. They really are very good and cheaper than I could make one.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Stilton and plum tomatoes on a Ciabatta bun for dinner (I know, but I fancied it!). I did veggie and fresh fish shopping so tea was a nice piece of Finnan Haddock (£5.30, dearer than best steak!) cooked in butter and lemon juice with chips and peas. Nice but a very expensive tea!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Steak and onion pudding with sprouts and a few left over chips for dinner and the same for tea but with a small pork pie. I slow cooked oxtail in cider all day and will start building a nourishing stew today with sprouts, carrots and cauliflower.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The oxtail is on song. I had it with veggies, sprouts carrots, cauliflower and broth bits, twice for dinner and tea. Just right for this weather.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I notice in my daily trawl through Rightmove that there are currently two fish and chip shops on the market in the town - both currently trading. Rainhall Road and Park Road.

Is this just coincidence, or a sign of changing leisure eating habits in the town?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tripps wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 12:52 I notice in my daily trawl through Rightmove that there are currently two fish and chip shops on the market in the town - both currently trading. Rainhall Road and Park Road.

Is this just coincidence, or a sign of changing leisure eating habits in the town?
Park Road chippy has been on the market for quite some time now, there have been some dramatic price drops but it doesn't seem to be shifting. I believe they're looking to retire.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I made a huge tray of Potato Gnocchi, so we will have a serve tonight and the rest will be frozen. I reckon there will be three meals ( maybe four) to freeze...I haven't actually counted the pieces. I have put a large tray of them in the freezer, and a plate with tonight's gnocchi in the fridge. I will bag up the frozen ones later and seal them with the machine that takes all the air out of the bags. Great machine that. I'm getting a lot of use out of it.
Last night we had some mashed potato with our meal that I had vaccum sealed and frozen as an experiment...and it was absolutely perfect. So I will be doing more of that when I have spuds left over at the end of the week.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The Oxtail and veggies is doing fine. Had it for dinner and tea..
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

All bagged up...just drop them in boiling water to cook...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

The Gnocchi were absolutely perfect...so light and fluffy. Using old potatoes is the trick.
I love the way they just roll over in the boiling water and float to the top when cooked. The magic of cooking!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
I like the idea of the vacuum packs especially when used with low temperature slow cooking of meat.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Well you can reheat these packs on a simmer, if you want. They are not "boil in the bag"...simmer only.
I took vacuum packed coffee and pasta in the van. It worked very well. I also vacuum packed some frozen dinner rolls, and they were perfect too.
I can see lots of possibilities. I am quite excited about the things I can do...
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 14:56
Tripps wrote: 19 Nov 2019, 12:52 I notice in my daily trawl through Rightmove that there are currently two fish and chip shops on the market in the town - both currently trading. Rainhall Road and Park Road.

Park Road chippy has been on the market for quite some time now, there have been some dramatic price drops but it doesn't seem to be shifting. I believe they're looking to retire.
Park Road had such odd opening hours and days I am surprised anyone ever got to it anyway. I have found a late opening reasonable one in the Nelson area - up Halifax Road from memory , it is run by folk , from memory, orginally from the Essex area and they have found a place which was reasonable to buy and have a mix of delivery and regular call in customers.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

A long time ago, Park Road chippy was owned and run by Bobby Dawes and widely regarded as one of the best in Barlick. :smile:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Well, couldn't resist it. I have just had a slice (crust end) of some sun dried tomato and cheddar bread that I have just made. Not my own concoction as is the norm from time to time, but from a pre-mixed packet found at Aldi. 500g of mixture 320ml of water, mix, stand, knead, rise, bake. The dough doubles in size so I divided it in two and baked it in two 1lb loaf tins. It smells the part and tastes like it says on the tin, (packet). What's not to like, one to eat, some with my tea tonight and the other for the freezer, cant remember if it was 0.69p or 0.89p either way a winner. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Bargain. My favourite home made bread (even though I'm not supposed to be eating it) is cheese and onion loaf.

Add a tablespoon of finely chopped onion and a handful of half inch cubes of cheese, I use Red Leicester, at the second proving and pop it into a 1lb loaf tin.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Sounds good Ian as does yours Kev. Home made bread is the thing I miss most in my diet these days and yes, occasionally, like Kev, I crack and have a bit.
Maz the cooking I was thinking of isn't boiling, that's the beauty of it, I think a typical temperature is 70C and you need a special water bath to do it in. Reckoned to be very good for preserving food values.
I had the oxtail and veggies X two and it's good. I love the crunch of the onion, not cooked just warmed with the rest of the stew.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Chicken Salad Wraps tonight. I've done some quick Chinese Pickling of some Cucumber, Onion and Red Capsicum to include in them. Should be lovely.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like pickles Maz, they have such a clean taste!
The oxtail stew gave me dinner and tea yesterday. A small amount left which will go nicely with something this morning from the butcher!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I had some bread left over from our trip ( think we bought it on Monday). So I made Febby a Bread and Butter Pudding. He says it is very nice.
Meanwhile, I am still thinking about our options for dinner tonight. Once I decide, I shall get up and cook. ( it is called waiting for Devine Inspiration!)

Return to “What, Where, When, We, Who, Look & How”