Spam email

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spam email

Post by Tizer »

Google must be annoyed to see their logo being abused - or maybe not, perhaps they're too big and powerful to worry about us getting scammed, even if it's by using their name and logo. They and their brother tech and social media mammoths are now The Untouchables.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 14 Jan 2022, 04:41 There's a site called PC risk that offers a free scan to find out if you are infected. How does anyone know if that is genuine or not.
I still believe that the only safe way is to ignore all instructions to click on any links unless they are ones chosen by you because you know they are genuine. (Like OG or your email!)
Norton consider pcrisk to be safe https://safeweb.norton.com/report/show_ ... pcrisk.com
To be really safe all hyperlinks should be checked out, especially any that are 'masked'. A hyperlink that just shows as here or link should immediately ring alarm bells, whether it's in an email or on a website (yes, even OGFB). All hyperlinks can be masked and it's easy to check, if on a PC you can either 'hover' your mouse pointer over the hyperlink and it should show you exactly what it is. You can also right-click the hyperlink, copy as text and paste into a notepad. If the path doesn't match what the hyperlink displays treat it with caution. If it's unsolicited or the 'bait' to encourage you to click it sounds to good to be true, don't :nooo:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I use the `hover mouse pointer' approach if I'm not sure about a link and we always have our email software viewer in plain text mode. In the case I described above, the link I clicked was in a page of results for a search on permafrost and methane and the web URL shown in google was for an authentic and reputable science site. I was reading that article and clicked on one of its embedded links. The expected page appeared but so did the offending page. When I searched on google for the first part of the scam web address I didn't get any specific information but more generally it seems that this is described as a something like a `pop up' scam site. How the scammer got it to work I don't know. Hacked the authentic site's links perhaps?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Here's some good news...
`REvil ransomware gang arrested in Russia' LINK
...although I wouldn't be surprised if it was one of Putin's `off the balance sheet' projects and then when it got past its use by date simply sacrificed to give an impression that Russia is helping us all! Am I cynical? Yes! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hope it's true but so much 'news' about Russia is smoke and mirrors.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

PanBiker wrote: 11 Jan 2022, 12:06 I have had a couple of dodgy emails over the last couple of days. First one supposedly from Netflix warning me to renew my subscription, I don't have a subscription!

Second one today supposedly from McAfee, again for renewal of my non existent subscription to their anti-virus software. Dire warnings with the latter that my PC and phone will almost certainly be plagued with all manner of nasties if I don't renew.

Right, both in the junk folder and spoof emails added to the blocked list. Won't stop them of course as these are all auto generated including the rafts of spoof email addresses they use to con the unwary.
As predicted, I had a repeat of the McAfee one this morning despite me marking the last one as junk and adding it to the blocked senders list. It's using a different spoof email address of course. Devious buggers aren't they? The automatic spamming server must have morphed all it's originating addresses to have another run at fleecing the unwary. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

My gmail spam filter has been working well lately, there are several emails from 'young ladies' offering all sorts of services and enhancements. The spam filter recognised these for what they are without any input from me, I was receiving several hundred of these a day (into the spam folder) but they appear to have stopped altogether now :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps Putin's scammer gangs think you're going to be the next PM of the UK and want to `do a Donald Trump' style blackmail trick on you. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I don't get interesting spam like that Kev, not even offers to cure my erectile disfunction! All I get are the boring ones like yesterday's offering from HSBC about my last credit card payment..... (Guess what happened to that one!)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Fraud: MPs seek overhaul to tackle financial scammers' LINK
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

Had a automated phone call this morning to my mobile, early enough to think there’s a problem somewhere and catch me off guard. Put phone down when recording started from “Amazon”.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Didn't I read that fraud is the single biggest crime? And it has one of the lowest detection rates. I suspect that even those to statements are wrong because a lot doesn't get reported.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

And only 5% of burglary cases are solved in Britain, so in effect their is almost no deterrent to the crime.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That can't be true..... Everyone knows the Tories are the Party of Law and Order!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Apparently the "Standard Bank" has my newly produced IT3 certificate available. In order to view the certificate I need to complete a one time pin set up routine to validate my account status. This includes confirming my personal details.

They must think I was born yesterday. :extrawink: :forgetit:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What struck me in the course of my dealings with Talktalk yesterday was their insistence on the last 4 numbers of my bank account as part of their 'security' checks. I refused to give any such details and they passed me as kosher anyway.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazon have noticed that I have cancelled my account and removed my card. They are bombarding me with emails and offers. Tough! They had their chance but crapped in their own nest by pushing Prime at me and charging ridiculous delivery fees, in effect everything was sent as next day delivery. I shall never use Amazon again. If more people did this Amazon would behave better. They have forgotten that the customer must be looked after, not exploited.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Amazon has now come to an agreement with VISA and has cancelled its ban on accepting their cards as a payment method.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The arrangement with my son's prime account works well for me 😀
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Good for you Kev but I lost patience with them. Life is possible without Amazon! (and cheaper....)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I do as Kev does and use a proxy Amazon Prime subscriber.

Manager: I'm not going into today's meeting so will you be a proxy for me?
Secretary: Oooh, sorry sir, but I'm not that kind of girl!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Spam e-mail. its been suggested by the 'woke' brigade that its name should be changed to something more neutral. The carnivores are in agreement asking to leave the pig alone.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Too late I think. It's ingrained in the national consciousness. Strangely enough I bought a tin in my last Morrisons shop. :smile:
Have there been any suggestions from the veggies?
spam menu.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I bought two tins only this week David. I like to have a nostalgia treat in the cupboard and it struck me on Thursday when I was doing my early doors shop at the Co-op that Spam would never be cheaper than it is today and it keeps forever!
Did I ever tell you about when Roger and Martha took me to the Spam Museum in Austin Mn? Do you remember the Spamettes?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry Stanley, these yanks cant hold a candle to this, condensed into the menu David posted. You get the added benefit with this link of learning another language as well. :laugh5:

Ian

Return to “Technology & Communication”