Spam email

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spam email

Post by Tizer »

This is really much more than spam email but I wasn't sure where was best to plant it. The extent of fraud and scams has become massive. Is it time to review the way the internet and web are set up and find new, international ways of policing it?
`Covid fraud: £34.5m stolen in pandemic scams' LINK
`More than 6,000 cases of Covid-related fraud and cyber-crime have been recorded by the UK's police forces during the pandemic. The Action Fraud team said £34.5m had been stolen since 1 March 2020. It covers activity in England, Wales and Northern Ireland, but not Scotland. In a related development, the National Cyber Security Centre has told the BBC it is tackling about 30 "significant attacks" a month against the country's pandemic response infrastructure. These involves attempts to breach the NHS, vaccine producers and vaccine supply chains, among other organisations.'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you can add fraud in claims for government help as well Peter.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I received a text on my mobile this morning supposedly from Hermes. Apparently they have missed delivering my parcel that I didn't order! I could get re-delivery if I clicked the link they sent!
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

PanBiker wrote: 12 May 2021, 11:00 I received a text on my mobile this morning supposedly from Hermes. Apparently they have missed delivering my parcel that I didn't order! I could get re-delivery if I clicked the link they sent!
We’ve had the same one .
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

This is part of our Neighbourhood watch May newsletter.

If you have received a suspicious text message (smishing)
You can forward a suspicious text message from your phone to Action Fraud free of charge by sending it to 7726. This enables your provider to identify the origin of the text and take action.
If you’ve been a victim of a smishing fraud, then you also need to report it to Action Fraud by calling 0300 123 2040, or by using their
online form.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Thanks gloria, though like many things I wont remember it when I need it.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I had a look at the text messages that my phone is blocking and they are all telling me that a surcharge has been put on my Amazon parcel because it is from abroad. I got another this morning.
I have ignored all of them, the deliveries have come on time. I wonder how many people are being taken in by this.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

That would explain why the parcel I haven't ordered didn't arrive and they must have delivered to you by mistake. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Now then Ken.... don't be giving them ideas. The latest Amazon blocked purchase, my new razor, arrived yesterday thank you.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 16 Jun 2021, 04:40 I wonder how many people are being taken in by this.
Vast numbers, apparently. £3.4 million pounds were lost by victims in the last six months of 2020 and that's only the people who reported their loss. It's got even worse this year.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Take care out there. . .
► Show Spoiler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not sure if that is spam or a joke David. Shows how well up I am on football!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20210707-094409_Facebook.jpg
:biggrin2:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The language in that message is not much worse than in the genuine replies I receive from queries sent to retailers and other organisations! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

BG keep emailing me asking for a meter reading. Is is spam?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Jul 2021, 07:43 BG keep emailing me asking for a meter reading. Is is spam?
They should be getting data from your smart meter, is it sending OK? Do your bills show current readings?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

When I was with British Gas with smart meters they still asked for a reading from time to time. I currently have to read both my meters monthly, although smart, not smart enough for Octopus. Not bothered they are still the best suppliers. I am on the list for upgrade.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You were right Kev. The electricity meter has stopped sending. Remember when I said my monitor had gone down a few months ago? Looks as though it could have been at the same time. A man cometh on July 30 to recommission my meter....
I shall keep a much closer eye on it in future. I trusted the technology and it let me down.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I bought something from Land's End a week ago and unticked the box for promo emails as I usually do for all web retailers. Since then I've had 12 emails from them, all screaming out things like `30% discount!!'. :gatlin:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes.... I've had the same. I just flag them as junk and forget them.
More problems with BG. Now they tell me that my July 30th appointment and job number is void. Trouble is the agents on the chat line are from India and can't string a coherent sentence together. Also, they don't appear to be listening to me. They didn't answer a single question. (Like 'Have I a valid appointment?') I await developments. Not happy at all.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 17 Jul 2021, 02:00 Yes.... I've had the same. I just flag them as junk and forget them.
More problems with BG. Now they tell me that my July 30th appointment and job number is void. Trouble is the agents on the chat line are from India and can't string a coherent sentence together. Also, they don't appear to be listening to me. They didn't answer a single question. (Like 'Have I a valid appointment?') I await developments. Not happy at all.
Are they real or AI for some of these, does their system allow them to read things like account number .
Have similar but different issue with BG ? Time to escalated it to a complaint to the regulator ( the web page for incorrect bills for example says the only way to comment or complain is via the Chat, which takes forever (for various reasons I was unable to screenshot the last two chats - my computer issue), the page also suggests a number of reasons why you cannot read the bill they have sent , and none as to why it would be incorect ( because they cannot get an opening meter reading correct in my case).
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Just had a wonderful spam phone call from Carphone Warehouse. The number showed as a landline in Aberfeldy (no me neither), but I guessed it was in Wales, and a call from Wales is a real possibility at the moment, so I replied. Later discovered that actually it's in Perth and Kinross in Scotland. :smile:

Lovely American accented lady tried to sell me an iPhone with unlimited everything for £35 per month. I explained that I already had a phone that was adequate for my needs for just £6 pcm - so why would I change it. She saw my point and stopped the pitch.

We then spoke about where she was. She said 'I'm based in London' at 1 Portal Way North Acton W36 3RS. Not Aberfeldy then? I gently told her I didn't believe her. I then complimented her on her telephone manner, and the way she had dealt with an awkward old man. She seemed pleased to hear this, and returned the compliment,and said I'd be surprised at the rude reaction of some people. (Actually I wouldn't ), and thanked me for my politeness.

I rang the number 01887 593310, and to my surprise an Indian accented gentleman replied, and gave me the same story. I politely said I didn't believe him either.

Anyway - if anyone wants a good deal on an iPhone, ring 01887 593310 They're a mixed bunch in Aberfeldy, but very nice people. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

You should have asked me, I used to deliver to Fisher's Laundry in Aberfeldy! Lovely part of the UK. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I can waste enough valuable time with the genuine people never mind the spoofers!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Hello, I am Manuel Franco, you have a donation of $2,800,000.00. I won the $768 million Powerball lottery on March 27, 2019, I am donating part of it to five lucky people and Ten Charity organizations. You email came out victorious. Contact me urgently for claims via: manuelfranco188@yahoo.com. Watch my full interview here: My reasons for this donation is because i know how it feels to have nothing. I am doing my best to put a smile in the faces of everyone in the world, in any way i can.

Aren't I the lucky one? Anyone want a share? :biggrin2:

Return to “Technology & Communication”