Spam email

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Spam email

Post by Stanley »

The odd million would be very welcome Graham.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Talked to the postman yesterday and asked what do the post office do with all the parcels I fail to collect after being advised to do so on my mobile phone. He laughed and said "its a scam. We would never do that. You would get a card through your door with the details on in".
Well that's a load off my mind. I didn't want the depot full of mythical undeliverable parcels.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

If there are any Ken yours will probably be with mine. Let me know if it happens!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Just got an email notification that my last subscription payment for Netflix failed, they will try again to take payment but in the meantime click here to update your banking details. :nooo:

I don't have a Netflix subscription and I wasn't born yesterday. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Notification yesterday that a book was dispatched on the 16th..... True, and I got it a week ago.
My latest warning that my payments are wrong is from Whatsapp. Really? I have an idea that the cure will be to log on into a website that will do nasty things to my OS. No thanks......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I got a nice email supposedly from a bloke in New Zealand today. He wants to be my friend after he saw my information on LinkedIn. I dont subscribe to that particular networking platform so that's a miracle that he got my information from there, very impressive.

The mail was sent to other undisclosed recipients so I was quite hurt by that as he said he wanted to be MY friend so I have consigned his offer to the junk folder and blocked any further contact. :extrawink:
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

"Hello greetings from Dhl special delivery company, I am regarding you about a check of $(400millions dollars and your 7 series BMW 2018 car, We have sent an email many times which we don't know if anyone is on your email so you have to get back to me with your current email and home address so that we can complete this delivery because this is the only delay we have. So that you can receive your check and car immediately in your home address....
Regards Robert Be"

Ha, emailing to ask for my email address, you couldn't make it up. :laugh5: No more room on the street to park the car anyway. :extrawink:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I had another of those `frightener' emails the other day, a man claiming he had taken control of everything on my computer, written in perfect English, no spelling or grammatical mistakes, very organised telling me what I must do in order to send him $1400 in a specific cryptocurrency in x days, instructions how to do it, warnings not to pass the message on or to tell anyone else otherwise all my computer data will be released on the dark web. It's sends a shiver down your spine to think how some people will believe it and pay up.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There are some naughty people out there Peter. The latest for me was a phone call from accounts at Amazon, I didn't wait to find out what I had to do to retain my account. I just told them it was a scam and hung up....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have received a couple of different spam emails to the webmaster account for the site. One for double glazing and three from someone who wants to sell us some kind of corporate management software as she has noticed that we discuss NHS related matters on the site (so what?) and thinks that she can help. Both marked as spam.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I got an email this morning from British Gas saying they had been unable to email me..... I didn't bother trying to work it out, just deleted it.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I received this one this morning.

Sir,

My name is Mr.George Yella, I am finance Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nig. {FAAN} I am in search of an agent to assist in the transfer of {US$25,500.000.00} TWENTY FIVE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS. And subsequent investment in properties in your country. You will be required to:

(1) Assist in the transfer of the said sum into your account
(2) Advise on lucrative areas for investment
(3) Assist us in purchase of properties.

If you decide to render your service to us in this regard, 35% of the total sum will be offered to you as your share /commission.If you are interested,please, quickly reply back to me.

Your faithfully,
Mr.George Yella

Guess what? :extrawink:
Ian
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

PanBiker wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 09:30 I received this one this morning.

Sir,

My name is Mr.George Yella, I am finance Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nig. {FAAN} ...

I wonder if Nig is Nigeria?
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 06 Sep 2021, 09:30 I received this one this morning.

Sir,

My name is Mr.George Yella, I am finance Director of the Federal Airport Authority of Nig. {FAAN} I am in search of an agent to assist in the transfer of {US$25,500.000.00} TWENTY FIVE MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND UNITED STATES DOLLARS. And subsequent investment in properties in your country. You will be required to:

(1) Assist in the transfer of the said sum into your account
(2) Advise on lucrative areas for investment
(3) Assist us in purchase of properties.

If you decide to render your service to us in this regard, 35% of the total sum will be offered to you as your share /commission.If you are interested,please, quickly reply back to me.

Your faithfully,
Mr.George Yella

Guess what? :extrawink:
Bye bye George...

By far the best one I have ever received and was back in the late 1990s. The request came by fax and was from the family of a Nigerian astronaut who was stuck in an orbiting spacecraft. He had been stuck up there for a few years and had accrued several million dollars in wages.
I framed that one and hung it on the office wall.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

That was a good one Kev. :extrawink: They must think we were born yesterday. :smile: Unfortunately there are still some very gullible people who get ripped off big style with these kind of scams.
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I do hope the poor chap got down eventually. :smile:

gullible.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I like that one David.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I still have a letter (yes, on paper, in an envelope, remember those?) from Nigeria to my father-in-law received by him in the mid-1990s and trying to get him to send thousands of pounds in order to release a million or so pounds and from which he would receive a large commission. He didn't respond, of course. :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

My dad always said that the first really big scam was Post War Credits. :biggrin2:
(LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Good day,

My good pleasure writing to you, hope you will find this message in good faith for an immediate response because of the situation at hand.

Before I express my view for looking up to you for assistance, I will like to introduce myself to you.
I’m Dr. Micheal Riggs a medical practitioner with U.S.A army here in Kabul Afghanistan.

I was opportune to recurred a rich family attacked by Taliban and after they were free and healed from the bomb shell, the head of the family rewarded me with $5 million U.S.A Dollars( Five Million U.S.A
Dollars) and I deposited it in the security company here in Kabul for family use.

Because of the present echoes here now I am seeking for good person who will help me to invest this money in his/her country, I will be glad to give the partner 20% of the whole Fund while I use the 80% for investment and less privilege.

So if you really want to invest with me don’t hesitate to reply back immediately via my private email:
(removed), or my private Whatsapp number (removed).

Please Note: this transaction is very confidential to avoid lauding it to the reach of my superiors.

Regards
Dr. Micheal.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I like that one :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That's practically the same as the Nigerian scam of the 1990s, deja vu! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It's not a laughing matter though. Quaint as they sound, let's not forget that these are crooks trying (and often succeeding) to get innocent people to give them money.
Mind you, I don't have a lot of sympathy for the victims. You have to be greedy to fall for one of these....
Tell me, does anyone get penis enlargement mail these days? That used to be a favourite.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I doubt it - it's probably readily available on social media! :smile:

Return to “Technology & Communication”