Mobile Phones

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Stanley »

I'm on the EE £1 a month deal, never use the data service or roaming and only have to top it up about once every six months. It is used for Whatsapp and my occasional phone calls but I don't make many..... Never any problems with it.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 02:55 'm on the EE £1 a month deal,
? surely that's £1 per week or am I missing something. :extrawink:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Joined up for 1p mobile, £10 for sim and credit for 4 months or until its used up. Sim card should arrive in a couple of days then its headache time again. Initially got me a little confused when they were offering a memorable phone number for £20, or one which would be more forgetful for £2, they never mentioned that a phone number would come with the sim for free. Am I misunderstanding or is this a cunning wheeze? :dunce:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:43 Sim card should arrive in a couple of days then its headache time again.
You will be fine Ken, it's Android so easy peasy. the cog icon is where all the settings are and the play store is where you get any apps that you might fancy. Blue telephone to make a call green text box thing to send a text. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Money not used up in your 1p Mobile account gets carried over to next time. I think I've accumulated about £70 in there because I hardly use the phone except when Mrs Tiz is away and then only for texts and the odd call. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

That's the problem I have. £70 is probably too much to have lying idle, and it only rolls over when you top it up - making the problem worse. The last couple of times ,I've just ignored it, and it still works, but the balance is reduced (I think). :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I regard it as the price I pay for carrying an emergency phone. Anything else is a bonus. I suppose it would be possible to transfer the sim to another phone or gadget that is used more, especially for data, and then use up some of the money?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Jul 2020, 09:58 You will be fine Ken, it's Android so easy peasy.
Ian you have more faith in me than I have. I only had hold of it for twenty minutes and it nearly finished up in the bin three times. Actually I did manage to connect to our home internet and get google on the screen but then it went downhill from there. Its like playing that old game 'Mine Sweeper' one false move and 'BOOM' oblivion. I'll stick to reading books where pages usually follow each other in sequential order so you know where you're going.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

You're right Ian, £1 a week....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, have you got the PDF guide for the Moto G7? It's available here as PDF and you can save it on your PC: Moto G7 PDF guide It's also available in HTML on your browser: HTML guide

Do like the kids do - play with the phone to find out what it does and how it works! :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer, I've downloaded the manuals and when the migraine eases I'll have another look at it. Looked at the 'Kids do' examples but daren't try the karate chop or I may finish up letting go.
One of the reasons for getting a second phone, Mrs P has an old smart one but refuses to allow me to touch it quite right to in my opinion, is that if one of you gets called into a hospital or a similar NHS venue then the noncombatant has to sit outside or go walkabouts until the victim is released. Two phones per household is becoming a necessity rather than a nice to have.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 08 Jul 2020, 08:58 Mrs P has an old smart one but refuses to allow me to touch it quite right to in my opinion, is that if one of you gets called into a hospital or a similar NHS venue then the noncombatant has to sit outside or go walkabouts until the victim is released.
Indeed, that was the regime at A&E the other week. I only got as far as reception and the waiting area then had to leave the building when they scooped Sally up. It was a nice day so I sat on the benches outside for an hour or so until called to collect.
Ian
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

It would take a long time to accumulate £70 credit on 1p mobile. Mine last topped itself up last month and it says the mext top up is due in February 2022. Assuming I don;t burn the credit before then. Ar rhant rate it wouldn't cost more than £70 in ten years. I typically burn £10 in around 4 months with my usage. I don't know if it rolls over or not, its never happened for me.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Hmmm, it does say a £10 top up is for 120 days, it looks like it accumulates whats left of the 120 days if you top up before. OK it'll accumulate £70 in around 3 years I have been known to burn £10 in a few days when on holiday.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've forgotten which one of you put me on to the Moto but thanks again, brilliant, fast and a good sized screen and the battery lasts forever!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Me I reckon, had mine for 6 years. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, and it was your recommendation that prompted us to buy one for Mrs Tiz. Thanks! :smile:
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sim card arrived. Now sat in the phone. Next move to activate it. So far so good. Oh dear what have I said. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:laugh5: :good:
Go on Ken! Be a devil!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

New G7 phone, Manged to get connected into 1pmobile and even downloaded Whatsapp before my nervous breakdown kicked in. Phone now literally in Mrs P hands pumping numbers in it and sending calls to her own phone. Not to worry she'll probably claim it anyhow. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

:mexwave: Aha, latest convert to the Batphone. :laugh5:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Those following this saga may remember me buying another G7 for Mrs P. Sent off for another 1pMobile SIM. Arrived the following day. Zapped through the installation process and got to the point of registering the phone. Entered the new phone number and than the six digit activation code which they had sent in along with the SIM. Result, total failure, The two entries are not compatible for the next stage of login in. The phone settings shows it number in its data base. Looks like a ringing up job when they open up on monday.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

What you have to remember in this day and age of instant communication and efficient IT systems is that it can take a while to complete even the simplest of jobs. with your chosen network supplier. The opening post of this thread tells of my woes with what should be a simple task, transferring a number and activating it. Before you go through the angst of ringing them up. Give it another whirl on Monday. Having said that i found out during my struggle that apparently the mobile phone network doesn't function at weekends including the automated processes. Best of luck Ken it can be as smooth as silk or a complete wasps nest. I wish you the former. :smile:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Plaques, I agree with Panbiker, give it more time. It's especially true at the moment with the covid crisis'
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The phone registration came through roughly at 4 pm MONDAY. The fun and games now start. Plenty of paracetamol stocked up.

Question for the experts. If I ever get my phone an car linked together via Bluetooth how are the charges calculated? Is it simply on each call or is there a continuous data roaming charge while they are both linked. ie: a one hour journey = 60p. I know nothing about these things and just looking at the two manuals is dark room territory.

Return to “Technology & Communication”