Mobile Phones

plaques
Donor

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by plaques »

Stanley wrote: 26 Feb 2021, 04:59 Am I right in thinking that it's an age thing?
Possibly, I find it difficult holding a phone to my ear and manoeuvring my zimmer frame at the same time. :biggrin2:
Pluggy
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Pluggy »

Phones are officially computers now. One of the you tube channels I frequent published a poll recently on how their subscribers watched their content. 57% watched "on my phone", 11% "on my computer" , 19% "on a smart TV" and 14% "wherever I happen to be". Tablets din't get a mention. They pretty much died a death with the advent of 6"+ phones I think. Accessing my online bank is next door to useless on a computer now as if you logging in with a computer it has to be verified by either sending a text to your phone or with a card reader and your card. Using he app on your phone just needs a PIN.
Pluggy's Home Monitor : http://pluggy.duckdns.org
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm still fighting to keep my smart phone out of my life as much as possible but have to report that it does come in handy for some things......
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I passed on an old Motorola G3 Razr smartphone to youngest offspring today, his all singing Galaxy something or other has a non functional touch screen. He's having a bit of a culture shock with the difference in performance, I find it quite funny how he's struggling to cope without his Nike Running app. I still can't work out why he needs a bit of technology to tell him how far he's run 🤣
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

From what I've seen Kev most of the younger generation would be non-functional without their phones.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

And for so many it has to be an Apple product with an `i' in front of the name or it's not worth having. :smile:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Tizer wrote: 01 Mar 2021, 10:23 And for so many it has to be an Apple product with an `i' in front of the name or it's not worth having. :smile:
Emperor's New Clothes...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've often thought that the main attribute of Apple under Steve Jobs was that it's a triumph of marketing and design.
I remember being astounded at the price of a replacement cable when Susan's cat chewed through one.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Snake Oil salesman like James Dyson.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I think the short answer is `not yet' but it's getting closer...
`Is it the end of the line for landline phones?' LINK
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This is more dangerous than the usual phishing scam texts...
`Flubot: Warning over major Android 'package delivery' scam' LINK
`A text-message scam that infects Android phones is spreading across the UK, experts have warned. The message - which pretends to be from a package delivery firm, prompts users to install a tracking app - but is actually a malicious piece of spyware. Called Flubot, it can take over devices and spy on phones to gather sensitive data, including online banking details. Network operator Vodafone said millions of the text messages were already being sent, across all networks. "We believe this current wave of Flubot malware SMS attacks will gain serious traction very quickly, and it's something that needs awareness to stop the spread," a spokesman said. Customers should "be especially vigilant with this particular piece of malware", he said, and be very careful about clicking on any links in a text message. Other networks, including EE and Three, followed with warnings of their own..'.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I think I have had one of these messages. 'Delivery of your parcel is delayed click this link'...

We had no outstanding deliveries and only two people know my mobile phone number. So straight into the bin along with another that required me to contact the GPO not to mention an e-bay customs payment.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think I have as well. If I don't recognise the caller I just delete. Haven't missed anything vital yet.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

A journalist has tracked the route and contacted those concerned...
`How did my phone number end up for sale on a US database?' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

An interesting story. Perhaps the best thing to assume is that all our telephone numbers are running wild out there somewhere.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm sure you'll all be impressed to hear I have downloaded an app for my phone that tells me when the next bus is coming.... :biggrin2:
Susan and I are going to take more bus trips and this is essential preparation!
(I've checked that my Nowcard that gives me free local bus travel is up to date.)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

That reminds me of one of my pals back in 1970 who said `Now that they've shown that it's dangerous I'm going to take up smoking!' :laugh5:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 04:19 I'm sure you'll all be impressed to hear I have downloaded an app for my phone that tells me when the next bus is coming.... :biggrin2:
Is it the Transdev Go app?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 09:23
Stanley wrote: 13 Jul 2021, 04:19 I'm sure you'll all be impressed to hear I have downloaded an app for my phone that tells me when the next bus is coming.... :biggrin2:
Is it the Transdev Go app?
There are other ones, the Lancashire travel website used to be good, there are two data sources, one is the timetable lookup, others, and combined ones , can use any GPS sign in on the ticket machine to source the bus estimated time away.

I still prefer paper timetables, and the Transdev one may not have the Preston Council (its not - is it Rotala ?) 280 service to Skipton/Clitheroe via Earby.

Transdev would like your thoughts on Bus services in 2021
https://www.transdevbus.co.uk/burnley/w ... MTXecqqpQY
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Buses in Barlick are all more or less at 20 minute intervals from my interaction with them. Not long to wait regardless of where you are going.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The great adventure went well and yes Kev, it's the Transdev version of Go. I seem to have cracked that now including how to find the return bus. One bit of excitement, my bus pass wouldn't scan. The driver took the details manually and told me to report it to Transdev which I have done....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

For 1p Mobile users. a proposed change to the charging rates.

Summary of the change we are making

We are replacing the requirement to top-up your 1p mobile account with a minimum of at least £10 every 120 days, with a new minimum spend requirement of £2.50 per month.

As I read it you must spend a minimum of £2.50 per month. If you don't spend this amount they will deduct it whether or not. Your balance will always reduce by £7.50 within the what was a 120 day topping period. This change is the equivalent to moving to a £30 per year contract.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I have had one of these for a long time, and I think Tizer does also. I hardly use it at all - it's just a backup phone, and the balance has built up to about £70. They can't have made anything from me. Now if I don't use it, I make it that I will pay £10 per 120 days, about 4 months. As you say - about £30 per annum.

That would be a worse deal, so I would expect them to offer me the chance to bail out. I don't expect that will happen - so I'll just let it 'wither on the vine' and rethink it in about two years time. They've forced my hand, as I didn't like building up useless credit. I haven't looked for a while but £5 per month seems to be about the minimum for a new service, so as they say in Yorkshire 'that'll do'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Still on the E&E deal, does it cost £1 a week? I never look, I just top it up every few months.... You prompted me to look and I have £44 in credit so no need to panic for a few months!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

This is the basic deal where calls and text are billed at 1p per minute. This required a minimum £10 top up every 120 days. I'm like Tripps and only use it in emergencies, hospital calls etc. Under these circumstances the balance soon builds up. Its a bit like fire insurance on your house normally never used but a blessing when its needed.

Return to “Technology & Communication”