Mobile Phones

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 03:17 As I said, I shall need help! The carrier has it so It won't be long before it gets here.
First obvious question, do I take the card from the old one, put it in the new one and start from there?
Depends on the size of the card and the age between handsets, it might not fit.

The problem with Whatsapp is not the version of the app but the version of Android or IOS on the phones that forces it to stop working. Android and IOS updates are not offered to older chipset devices so it's a catch 22.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 10:30
Stanley wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 03:17 As I said, I shall need help! The carrier has it so It won't be long before it gets here.
First obvious question, do I take the card from the old one, put it in the new one and start from there?
Depends on the size of the card and the age between handsets, it might not fit.
He won't need the SIM card Ian, WhatsApp will work with the wifi.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed but just pointing out that all sim cards are not necessarily the same as technology advances. :smile:
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 05 Jan 2020, 15:40 Indeed but just pointing out that all sim cards are not necessarily the same as technology advances. :smile:
Ah, righto :-)
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not all that long since I got the SIM so I don't expect that to be a problem.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Most are combination sims now, you generally break out from the card that it is supplied on the size that you need, the chip is in the middle. You can also put smaller sims in bigger holes so to speak with a carrier, not so much of an issue nowadays though.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All will start to resolve itself today if the promised delivery happens. I shall read the instructions and if I have any problem will be shouting for help!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I shall read the instructions Instructions? you'll be lucky!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Motorola g7 power... User Guide web page: LINK User Guide in PDF download: LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was what I meant. Thanks Tiz. The phone is here and I broke out the small card from the big one and installed it and the memory card. It's charging now and when it's up and running I'll have a play.......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

As a quick start, when it is charged. Connect it to your WiFi first. Then go to the Google Play Store (from a Google group icon you will find on the phone) search for WhatsApp and install. Join all your family groups and you are just about done for your declared usage. :good:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've got that page up on the PDF Ian. Am waiting for it to fully charge, it's on 98%. It doesn't seem to want to start until this is done!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Once you have it connected to your WiFi it might have a bit of a session updating the inbuilt apps. This will normally come as a notification that you you need to OK to action.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've just allowed everything! I am back on Whatsapp but can't get My data to transfer from the old phone. There aren't many contacts, I shall simply build them again.
Question. If someone calls me does my phone automatically store them as a contact?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

It will generally store the number and give you the option to add to contacts. You can then associate the number with a name etc in "contacts" which can store more information than just the number. The next time the contact calls you will see the name rather than just the number.

With regard to WhatsApp, you can output your stored chat messages to Google Drive, if you have that set up, (you get free storage up to about 2Gb from memory). You can then retrieve them to another installation of WhatsApp on another device. You can find Google Drive along with the other pre installed Google Apps, you can also access it via your computer which may be the easiest way to set it up rather than using the phone keypad.

You can also install WhatsApp on a PC, (not sure about with Ubuntu) and then use it from your desktop, you do need the phone to be on though. It's a lot easier using a full sized keyboard. The Desktop App will automatically echo what you have set up on the phone.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Jan 2020, 16:28 With regard to WhatsApp, you can output your stored chat messages to Google Drive, if you have that set up, (you get free storage up to about 2Gb from memory). You can then retrieve them to another installation of WhatsApp on another device.
If Stanley doesn't trust Google Drive can he output them to a USB stick instead?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can't see an option other than Google Drive for backup. The entire device is running on a Google platform anyway, (Android). Google Drive is just an extension. It's a good option for transfer of existing chat threads although whilst on Drive it is not protected by the Facebook end to end encryption built into WhatsApp although it would only be temporary storage as a means to an end. I suppose it depends how paranoid you are. I use it for transferring photos and files from my phone to the desktop or laptop, it's quite useful.

You would have an issue plugging a USB flash drive in anyway as it will only have a Micro USB port. A lot easier to use cloud storage.
Ian
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Just got Sally a replacement tablet for the Google Nexus. We have got a 10.1" Samsung Galaxy Tab A. Just charging before we go for the setup and configuration. Sally likes her tablet for her Ebay activities as she can do the photo's directly on the device and shove them straight into Ebay when she is selling. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Not in to mysteries like archiving and transfer yet, I am at the level of inputting contacts by hand and getting a protective case! All these things will become clear, at the moment they are a distraction and time flies.
Main thing is Whatsapp is running fine but I have lost some contacts.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

I am loving my new iPad....
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

There's an app on the Playstore called Smart Switch that works very well. Took about 20 minutes to copy everything between phones.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll have a look at that Kev.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Made a slight faux pas last night with the new tablet. Sally launched herself forwards and tried to set her Facebook account up in a web browser window rather than using the dedicated Android Facebook App. Upshot was that it set up a separate account and sent out friend requests from a partially set up account which looked as if her account had been hacked. Had to do a bit of firefighting on that!

I killed the Samsung browser that she had attempted to set it up in and downloaded the correct Android Facebook App. It then only needed her email address and password to complete the account setup automatically. I made Google Chrome the default browser on the tablet and set her Ebay account up as the homepage.

I have a bit of a downer on the latest Android devices when they come with pre-installed bespoke apps from the manufacturers of the devices that just repeat what is already built into the Androis OS. Case in point is the calendar function. Sally has a Huawei Android phone and uses the calendar function extensively, unfortunately she has used the bespoke Huawei calendar rather than the Google calendar. If you use the OS based apps they are designed to sync via Google Drive across devices. The tablet has a Samsung Calendar which I have replaced with the native Android one. I will have to repeat that on her phone so that they will talk to each other.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

I found the facebook app very resource hungry, I use Metal Pro which works very well with very little impact on resources.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹

Return to “Technology & Communication”