Mobile Phones

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Mobile Phones

Post by Wendyf »

I now have fingerprint recognition on my phone, essential for my banking app. It can be very frustrating as it doesn't always work, though strangely when the app asks for it there is no problem.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I have a banking app amongst lots of others on my phone. That particular app is pin protected and works very well.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I seem to be set up in the same mode as Ian and have no internet banking facilities. I feel fairly secure..... I shall leave it alone, after all it takes time to boot first thing just like Ubuntu and I live with that.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Transferred a few files (pictures) backwards and forward from phone to laptop using Bluetooth. Should come in handy for the odd happy snap that you come across when you don't have a camera handy.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's on function I haven't really cracked yet despite all the good advice I have been given.
I am not going into a decline!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 11 Aug 2020, 03:35 That's on function I haven't really cracked yet despite all the good advice I have been given.
You might not have cracked bluetooth file transfer but did you master the transfer by USB cable after my instructions?
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes Peter but than promptly forgot how I did it. I am living without it and worry free!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Sat in Blackburn Royal hospital car park, nothing wrong with me honest and the gents in the white coats reluctantly agreed, I think, anyhow with time to spare I thought I'd have a do at pairing up the phone with the cars Bluetooth. Within minutes I was connected up and address book installed. Now the big question is. how do i make use of it? It all seems so pointless since I wouldn't dream of driving and making a phone call. Am I missing something or were the white coated gents right after all? :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Why were you sat there Ken? Surely nothing wrong with the iron constitution?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

plaques wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 18:19 Within minutes I was connected up and address book installed. Now the big question is. how do i make use of it? It all seems so pointless since I wouldn't dream of driving and making a phone call.
Well, on first thought's it begs the question why you would even consider pairing it with your car if you are not going to use it? On the other hand if you leave it alone and don't vex about it there may be some time in the future that you may want to make a hands free call from your car and it will be ready to go. You could also use it to stream all the hot tunes you will have stored on your phone through the car stereo! :extrawink:

Or we could ask the men in white coats for another appraisal. :biggrin2:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Why were you sat there Ken? Surely nothing wrong with the iron constitution? Iron constitution 100%, Wet wear condition a bit doubtful. :biggrin2:
Good deed for the day. An early appointment for someone for a procedure a gentleman wouldn't ask about.

Well, on first thought's it begs the question why you would even consider pairing it with your car if you are not going to use it? The normal answer is 'because its there' , When Mrs P is aboard there's no music no nothing. just do as I say.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Ha, good answer, (might even fool the men in white coats). Same reason I have put mobile amateur radio communication equipment in my car, because I can. Going to make it hands free next, because I can. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 13 Aug 2020, 18:19 with time to spare I thought I'd have a do at pairing up the phone with the cars Bluetooth
That's exactly how I got connected. Not much happened afterwards as I rarely get any calls :sad:

It's a treat when I do though, as it takes me totally by surprise, and since my ring tone is 'Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham' by Lonnie Donegan - it takes my brain a few seconds to register what is occurring. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 14 Aug 2020, 11:03 and since my ring tone is 'Rock my soul in the bosom of Abraham' by Lonnie Donegan
Mine is "At the Woodchopper's Ball" by Woody Herman also done by Glen Miller. One of my favourites to dance to when both my legs worked properly. :smile: :extrawink:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

" when both my legs worked properly."
I can remember those days, but only just!
Best way of making a phone hands free is to turn it off, better still, leave it at home!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Another earth shattering breakthrough last night. Connected the phone 'Whatsapp' to the laptop so I could use the bigger keyboard and look at bigger pictures and video on a proper man size screen. The main setback is that I don't contact anyone on Whatsapp although I did find I could grab Mrs P attention a bit quicker if I sent her a Text. :biggrin2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I can honestly say Ken, that you are the only bloke I know who can derive infinite pleasure from totally pointless endeavour. :extrawink: It takes onwards and upwards to another level, fantastic, continue to amaze, please. :smile:

Can you plait sawdust by any chance?
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Aug 2020, 02:27 " when both my legs worked properly."
I can remember those days, but only just!
Best way of making a phone hands free is to turn it off, better still, leave it at home!
Voice activated hands free calling, in the car, has been useful for me on a couple of occasions. "I've driven up and down this road twice now, where are you exactly?"
"The blue gate, by the postbox. I'll come out and wave."
"Oh yeah, there you are." :biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

plaques wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 09:01 Connected the phone 'Whatsapp' to the laptop
How do you do that? I logged in from the tablet, and then found I was locked out from the phone. :smile:
All a bit academic now as I find that when I try Whatsapp I get absolutely nowhere, and have largely given up on it. :smile:
PanBiker wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 09:09 that you are the only bloke I know who can derive infinite pleasure from totally pointless endeavour

We haven't actually met Ian have we - but I'm fairly sure I could match him. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have WhatsApp on my laptop and it is only a case of having the phone switched on for it to work. It syncs through your WiFi.
Tripps wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 10:53 We haven't actually met Ian have we - but I'm fairly sure I could match him.
We need some examples please. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Ian
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

We need some examples please. :extrawink: :laugh5:
Sounds like the making of an interesting competition. I must try to remember where I put my stick with the bladder on it and there's the cap with the bells on it. I can see one major problem though if we are to be judged by our peers it could be difficult finding another eleven like minded people to sit on the panel. :help2:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I could create a new sub forum for the contributions, "pointless pursuits" or something along those lines. :extrawink:
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps did become my friend on Facebook for an hour before panicking and taking flight! :laugh5:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Good while it lasted and It wasn't you - it was me. ( as they say). :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

PanBiker wrote: 19 Aug 2020, 13:04 I could create a new sub forum for the contributions, "pointless pursuits" or something along those lines. :extrawink:
Don't do that or Mrs Tiz will be entering my name in Plaques' competition! (Wrongly of course!) :extrawink:
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)

Return to “Technology & Communication”