COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by PanBiker »

My old router is winging it's way back to TalkTalk on a pre-paid 48 hour tracked bag and label supplied with the new router. I didn't send the faulty CAT5 lead back as it was supplied wit the new router, no point clouding the issue with bits that don't belong to the old one which is flagged as a faulty device.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

How is the connection now the new router has had time to settle down?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

63.2mbps down
6.5mbps up

Improved by 5mbps since yesterday on the upload
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Malicious use of Apple's 'Find My' network has started in the USA. Surely Apple could have seen this would happen?
`Apple AirTags - 'A perfect tool for stalking'' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a stupid mistake to make! Apple should be liable to pay compensation and have sanctions applied on them.
Inexcusable!
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How not to run government IT. Ensure it will only run properly on an obsolete platform. See this from Private Eye....

Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I wonder if our military are still using Windows software and which version it might be? Putin's mates and Xi's pals will be looking for any way in.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's a long story with several threads so suffice it to say - after finding that my original attempt at a blog is still on the interweb and it's its 20th birthday this year. Early adopter. Lycos say the free version is ceased and not available now, but I still managed to get it to respond. Amazing. One think led to another like it often does, and I now find I've bought the domain name - trippier.co.uk . Now what to do with it. I've ideas of another blog sort of thing, but the welcome nine detailed emails with long instructions and immense passwords from the company are a bit off putting. I've told my young lad he might be getting a late Christmas present.

Dylan has just sold his works for $400 million. This is his free advice. "He not busy being born is busy dying." - I'm trying. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That thought struck me Peter, don't I remember some talk about some of the systems being being installed in our white elephant aircraft carrier running on obsolete Windows platforms?
I Know what you mean David, I think that's what I am doing in the shed each morning. I have this belief that I can't die if there is an engine unfinished!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 26 Jan 2022, 03:24 ...don't I remember some talk about some of the systems being being installed in our white elephant aircraft carrier running on obsolete Windows platforms?
They were reported by several news sources as being on Windows XP but after searching I find that was wrong and was caused by journos seeing and photographing a screen which had the XP image on it even though it wasn't using that OS. An explanation of it all is on this web site: LINK
---------------------------------------------------------

`Google sued in US over 'deceptive' location tracking' LINK
`Google is being sued in the US over accusations it deceived people about how to control location tracking. The legal action refers to a widely reported 2018 revelation turning off one location-tracking setting in its apps was insufficient to fully disable the feature. It accuses Google of using so-called dark patterns, marketing techniques that deliberately confuse. Google said the claims were inaccurate and outdated.'...
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

It doesn't surprise me that the big data manipulators are using the dark arts, in fact I'd be surprised if they weren't. One thing is certain, Our knowledge is so sparse that anything we imagine they are doing is light years short of reality. (They can't control my engines..... :biggrin2: )
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

This article tells us something we didn't know we should be worried about - and then why we don't need to worry about it!...
`What is the quantum apocalypse and should we be scared?' LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard a discussion about it on R4. It sounds like a serious matter to me but of course we wouldn't know about it until the results hit us. Sometimes I am glad I'm old.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

It's a mixed blessing this interweb thingy isn't it? I got the personal web mail working - well my young lad did actually. Like having vanity number plates really, but 'they can't touch you for it'.

I have just had a literally amazing session on google - the train of thought starting with Kieran's wonder goal for Newcastle United last night - shame it wasn't the winner - Free Kick and by a tenuous chain of totally unexpected links, including someone with my surname, finishing up at Salford dogs in August 1966. I'll spare you the detail. (For now)

I may takes things further, but doubt the people involved would thank me. The info involved is about seven years old.

I'll think about it. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Can anyone tell me how to send a saved Facebook video to OG (The Flatly Dryer) please.
Do I start from OG or Facebook and what are my next steps. With thanks 😊
Smart phone being used.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

You can try coying the link to the video rather than the video itself. Then use the insert video icon in the post editor, (the one with the right arrow in a circle). Copy the link into the box and set the source drop down to Facebook. Might be difficult if you are only using a phone.
Ian
Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Thanks anyway. I’ve tried a few times but nothing happens. 🙁
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

I have tried copying a link from a FB video and it works. Have a look at the practice posting thread. Perils of only using a mobile phone I reckon Cathy. FB videos are a bit of a law unto themselves as there are a few different formats, depends who posts them. You may have to be registered with FB to view them also, bit of a rubbish platform compared to YouTube for instance.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Look on Youtube to see if the same video is posted there? They often are.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I need a bit of advice. I have signed up to the Talktalk 35 fibre deal because it is cheaper than the £30 deal I have at the moment. In their confirmation mail they tell me I have Talktalk TV including Netflix and Prime TV. I don't want any of these. Do I just ignore the fact they are available or do I have to be proactive and remove them? Advice welcomed.... :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 14:55 I need a bit of advice. I have signed up to the Talktalk 35 fibre deal because it is cheaper than the £30 deal I have at the moment. In their confirmation mail they tell me I have Talktalk TV including Netflix and Prime TV. I don't want any of these. Do I just ignore the fact they are available or do I have to be proactive and remove them? Advice welcomed.... :good:
Just don't use them, it's only a 12 month offer so check you've not been auto enrolled for renewal when they expire. Your Fibre 35 is 24 months so have a read of the terms and conditions before signing up. They'll probably send you a Talktalk TV box as well.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

The Fibre 65 is a better deal as it's only £24.00 for the first 2 years then £29.95 same as the Fibre 35 after 2 years.

I'm on Fibre 65 and if I dump the land line I can get Full Fibre to premises (150mbps) for less than I am paying now.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Kev.... Noted.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 15 Feb 2022, 15:48 The Fibre 65 is a better deal as it's only £24.00 for the first 2 years then £29.95 same as the Fibre 35 after 2 years.

I'm on Fibre 65 and if I dump the land line I can get Full Fibre to premises (150mbps) for less than I am paying now.
I have Fibre 65 unlimited too, £25 including anytime calls. I pay an extra £1 a month for an answering service.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Dumping land lines isn't without its problems especially if you have a dedicated e-mail address eg: joe.blogs@TalkTalk.net. I had been with TalkTalk ever since they started up and no doubt would still be with them if I had a reliable fibre feed to our house. TalkTalk wanted £52 per year to keep my e-mail address. I'm not sure how this could be done if I dumped the landline. But now with a different e-mail address I found I'd over 40 formal contacts that needed re-directing and password updating. In one way it was worth it but a lot more work than I bargained for.

Return to “Technology & Communication”