COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: COMPUTERS, THE AGONY AND THE ECSTASY

Post by Tizer »

`Millions more get fibre broadband but take-up lags' LINK
`Eight million UK homes now have access to full-fibre broadband, a record rise of three million since last year. But fewer than a quarter of those have chosen to upgrade to a full-fibre package, regulator Ofcom's annual Connected Nations report says. Many could upgrade without paying more than they currently did, Ofcom said.'...

`Sainsbury's payroll hit by Kronos attack' LINK
`Sainsbury's is among major businesses in the UK and US affected by a cyber-attack on a payroll system provider. On Saturday, Kronos confirmed it was dealing with a ransomware attack on its computer systems. Many companies such as Sainsbury's rely on Kronos to log, store and process the hours employees have worked. The supermarket chain is understood to have lost a week's worth of data for its 150,000 UK employees. But it said they would be paid before Christmas.'...
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Having 'access' to full fibre broadband' doesn't mean that you need it. I can understand it in a house full of kids all streaming on the same connection but a singleton like me manages quite well off the bog standard 37meg down and 10meg up so why spend more on changing? It will all be fibre and cheaper in the long run.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

I can now get full 150mbps guaranteed FTP for less than I am paying for my current Fibre65 package (that is delivered over copper) and only connects at 46mbps.

Seriously considering upgrading my contract. Would lose the land line which we hardly use and don't actually need as we both have mobiles. It would also fix, (with a new fibre router) the intermittent user side fault that I seem to have on the current Talk Talk router. Connection to exchange is 46mbps solid but on the user side I get intermittent WiFi drop outs and buffering on a direct cable fed link to the satellite box when watching on demand services. Try explaining that one to them when they cant see my side of the installation.
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I always remember what I told George at Bancroft when he was poking into the alternator while the engine was running. I told him that leccy travels at 186,000mph and it was faster then him. I feel like that with my broadband, it's faster than me!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

You've fallen into the same trap as I did. Think again about that speed before Panbiker sees it! :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Too late, Kev got in first

670,616,629 miles per hour
186000 is miles per second 😀
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Aye :good: :biggrin2:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Yes of course it is. And I knew it, senior moment I think.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Me too, Stanley, and I'm younger than you, so you have my sympathy! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Thanks Peter. Funny thing is the older you get the more people ask you how you are! They'd get a shock if I gave them the full list!
As for my computer, I just thank god when it starts OK each morning....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Just musing about how mobile phones are taking over our lives. Some of their usage is voluntary some tied to having a broadband connection but more and more becoming essential to access major services, job centres, banks, entry passports. most contact confirmation, ( 4 - 6 digit codes) and probably a lot more that are used less frequently. Gradually we are moving to a stage where owning a phone is compulsory and in effect becoming a personal ID to prove who you are.
Not quite 1984 but makes you think. :geek:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

No different to a paper ID card which I have long been in favour of although in the vast scale of things a little "old hat". Might as well utilise the full potential of the super computer in your pocket. Very useful, I recently expanded my usage by having my rail tickets on the phone, very convenient and worked like a dream. Booked on the phone, paid for on the phone and used to open barriers at the stations. Everything in one place. All pin protected etc but I have so far resisted enabling Google Pay and linking it to a funding source, still preferring to get the card out as and when required which is a bit daft as the card is not pin protected up to £100 or thereabouts so not as secure as paying using the phone. What is a bloke to do?

The next logical step is wearable or embedded tech. I have often thought that would be quite useful. Particularly if we chipped kids at birth. Just think of the benefits that you could get if the tech was GPS enabled could store medical information and replace having to carry cash, the list is endless.
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

plaques wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 10:03 more and more becoming essential to access major services, job centres, banks, entry passports. most contact confirmation, ( 4 - 6 digit codes)
Add to that paying to park your car.
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer, Add to that paying to park your car. Saw that at Blackburn Royal Hospital, point the phone at it and job done. Parking was £1.90 (3 hours) then upwards. Most people will shove a couple of coins in and walk away. 5% profit to somebody. A phone transaction 1p so why not? and who carries loose change about anyway.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Reading the above I can't help remembering the Borg in Star Trek.... Silly me...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There's a link in this article to the `Have I Been Pwned (HIBP)' web page for testing to see if your passwords have been broken....
`UK donates 225 million stolen passwords to hack-checking site' LINK
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

PanBiker wrote: 20 Dec 2021, 10:48 No different to a paper ID card which I have long been in favour of although in the vast scale of things a little "old hat". Might as well utilise the full potential of the super computer in your pocket. Very useful, I recently expanded my usage by having my rail tickets on the phone, very convenient and worked like a dream. Booked on the phone, paid for on the phone and used to open barriers at the stations. Everything in one place. All pin protected etc but I have so far resisted enabling Google Pay and linking it to a funding source, still preferring to get the card out as and when required which is a bit daft as the card is not pin protected up to £100 or thereabouts so not as secure as paying using the phone. What is a bloke to do?

The next logical step is wearable or embedded tech. I have often thought that would be quite useful. Particularly if we chipped kids at birth. Just think of the benefits that you could get if the tech was GPS enabled could store medical information and replace having to carry cash, the list is endless.
Yes but hacking that chip could make you a different person ...!

Meanwhile I have banking on a phone, but would really like to access log ons to keep the deposit and the current account separate, ( as it is I can see why its too easy to have someone empty a savings account - and with the data sharing of banks it seems even the likes of paypal can update their records of your debit card when permissions are granted when all you wanted was to set up a direct debit mandate).
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I tried several of mine and they weren't on the database.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Traumatic time for OG, big thanks to Ian for getting it sorted.

Upgraded out TV to one of those OLED thingies. We now have a 42" smart TV going for FREE. 8 year old good working order. WiFi by dongle (supplied) or your own cable. No stand, (brackets transferred to new TV.) Collect from Colne. E-mail or message
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Sprinkling this around for a while:

ReadMe-Appeal
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 24 Dec 2021, 17:38 Traumatic time for OG, big thanks to Ian for getting it sorted.

Upgraded out TV to one of those OLED thingies. We now have a 42" smart TV going for FREE. 8 year old good working order. WiFi by dongle (supplied) or your own cable. No stand, (brackets transferred to new TV.) Collect from Colne. E-mail or message
Hi Plaques, I've tried sending a message and an email but I'm not sure they've worked. My granddaughter would love a new TV, hers has stopped working.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Hi Plaques, I've tried sending a message and an email but I'm not sure they've worked. My granddaughter would love a new TV, hers has stopped working.

Its yours. See message.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's nice and Christmassy! Lovely.
Yes, Ian has done well. I want him to set our US friend on and move up to bigger server. It might be a good time for a donation......
OG being off meant that the bedding got washed, the kitchen floor deep cleaned and other jobs got done like my annual backup to external hard disk.I am now officially in 2022. :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 25 Dec 2021, 03:44 I want him to set our US friend on and move up to bigger server.
We don't need assistance to do that. It's a single click on the hosting website to place the order. The technicalities are done by the IONOS server team and are beyond the reach of myself or Mark.

First things first though, outside of server storage for the backups. That will possibly need a subscription to a cloud service. Once that is sorted and up and running I will click the button. :smile:
Ian
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Technology & Communication”