Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

David, I'm sure you are right about these tree planting schemes being of direct benefit to the land owning classes. There is no other reason for them being so popular. My objection is that such actions take the land out of food production for at least 100 years and we are going to experience food shortages before then. At the moment we import over 60% of our food, that's far more frightening to a simple minded bugger like me that climate change. The time scale for problems with climate change is centuries, with food it's immediate, we can already see gaps in the supplies to supermarket shelves.
We all know that the only way to mitigate climate change is to stop burning fossil fuels. The consumption of these is still rising and there are no signs of this changing. Fancy virtual schemes like planting trees are only a sop to the conscience. I'd point out that we still subsidise Drax to pollute by burning bio mass, a practice proven to be as bad as coal burning but for some reason nobody seems to be listening.....
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I've been listening to the news..... Inflation now expected to reach at least 10% this year, the BofE interest rate is raised to 10%, historically low but a shock to anyone with a big mortgage.... 15 Million dead globally from Covid and lower than expected growth next year meaning that technically we shall be in recession. On top of this we have the problems we already knew were coming that stem from Brexit. The 'oven-ready deal we were promised has not materialised.
Apart from that this government is performing well.... except for ethics honesty and compassion, but they are secondary matters.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

THIS worrying news from the business world. Other food retailers have reported increased turnover and profit.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Interesting news item. Vulnerable eat for nowt

I wonder who decides who is 'vulnerable'. I wonder if they mean counsellor rather than councillor. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think you are correct David, sloppy copy writing.
On the subject of this man and his crusade.... I have serious doubts about all neo-religious movements that spring up overnight. This operation starts my crap detector whining. Of course I may be totally wrong.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 07 May 2022, 12:57 This operation starts my crap detector whining. Of course I may be totally wrong....
Me too, and I doubt you're wrong. When did you last see a vicar dressed like that? Not at all 'trendy', and wearing 'shades' indoors is usually a warning sign. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

While the newspapers focus on Putin's `Victory Day' celebration planned for tomorrow, 9th May, they seem to have forgotten that the 8th is celebrated in the West as `Victory in Europe' (VE) Day. EuroNews
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Russians at the Victory Day parade in Moscow had been promised a fly past of 400 aircraft. There were none. The reason? `Bad weather'. Yet Moscow's weather was described on the web as mild and fine with just a bit of light rain and judging from the weather maps most of Russia was the same! Perhaps the Russian air force doesn't want to play out today? :smile:
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Putin is now claiming that the West is plotting to invade Russia!
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

...whereas his Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says that the Kremilin's intention is for Russia to extend from Vladivostock to Portugal (why Portugal? I suppose the weather appeals to him more than the UK's! :smile: )
-----------------------------------------------------

Another example of the dangers of one giant company dominating a market is unravelling in the US. The Abbott pharma company dominates the baby formula milk market but it was in trouble some months ago when babies became sick and some died. Bacteria were found in the Abbott plant. Sales and production had to be halted. Now they've found the factory bacteria didn't match the bacteria affecting the babies but in the meantime stocks of formula have fallen dramatically. Now the US is having to import formula from an Abbott factory in Ireland and retailers are rationing sales of the product. The out-of-stock rate across the country rose to 40%. Abbott formula crisis
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's a serious matter for a mother feeding her baby on the formula. Lots to be said for Mother's milk!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 10 May 2022, 09:15 ..whereas his Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov says that the Kremilin's intention is for Russia to extend from Vladivostock to Portugal (why Portugal? I suppose the weather appeals to him more than the UK's! :smile: )
Not sure about Portugal but I don't hold out much hope for Moldova. If Putin gets a hold in Odessa he wont stop, It's a tiny country that can't defend itself the same as Ukraine. easier pickings. I saw this coming weeks ago. The steel works in Mariupol, now that the civilians are out is turning into the equivalent of the tractor factory in Stalingrad. Boots on the other foot and that didn't end well for the Germans, Does Putin not do history and learn from it?
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes, Moldova is in jeopardy. It's eastern borderlands with Ukraine, called Transnistria, have a large proportion of Russian-supporting folk. Putin wants to `save them from the Nazis'. He's aiming to link up with that region so that he will be able to cut off Ukraine from the Black Sea completely. Have you noticed that Moldova's leader is a woman? Several of the eastern European states have women leaders. Putin probably thinks women leaders will be weak but he might find that their ability and experience in dealing with fractious children help them deal with him! :smile:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Closer to home. I'm watching the racing from York.

It's the 1895 Duke of York Stakes - yes that Duke of York - not to be confused with any other Duke of York you may have heard of. Oh indeed no. . . . :smile:

It's a Wednesday and the weather's not great, but all the talk is of the poor crowd - the champagne bar is empty - the couple they interviewed said they hadn't been to York Races for 52 years. Poor pick, but they were the only ones available. The bookies are doing no business, and the words 'cost of living' have been heard. The kibitzer is back lurking behind the interviews. No fedora today, just beard and shades. I need to know more. . . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

He must have money to be able to afford to travel to the meetings, apart from the entrance fee. How much does it cost to get into a meeting David?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Seems today at York it's a pony (£25) to get into the best ring, with full access. Not sure how he gets into the parade ring though. Also not sure how they can deal with him - I think maybe I'm the only one he annoys. I know that John McCrirrick would have dealt with him.

PS just typed annoys and noticed how similar it is to oyns. Are they connected - as they say in the Eye 'I think we should be told'. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I am far from being a monarchist - in fact sometimes quite the opposite, but this has raised my spirits a bit today, and reinforces my belief in the beneficial effct of horses.

Trigger warning - This link goes to the Daily Mail.

Equine therapy
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

Tripps wrote: 13 May 2022, 11:28 I am far from being a monarchist - in fact sometimes quite the opposite, but this has raised my spirits a bit today, and reinforces my belief in the beneficial effct of horses.

Trigger warning - This link goes to the Daily Mail.

Equine therapy
What lovely, natural photos. I'd be smiling too! 😃
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not a monarchist either but nice to see Brenda quite obviously enjoying herself and not a single minder to manage the media. (Or if they did they kept a low profile.) She looks much more healthy than the image they have been promoting!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Tripps wrote: 11 May 2022, 15:15 I need to know more. . . . . :smile:
Mystery solved. he is 'Newsboy' of the Daily Mirror - real name Dave Yates. A bit of a disappointment actually. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

What a shame, it was developing into a nice side issue that could have kept us old farts going for months!
How did the Knavesmire get its name David?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Tripps, I like the juxtaposition of `Trigger warning' and `equine therapy' in your posts. Trigger is one of the few horses whose name I know! :extrawink:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Quite unintended I'm afraid. I guess the other horse whose name you know is Red Rum? I went to Aintree, (started my bucket list early) and saw him win the Grand National in 1973, Unfortunately I had backed Crisp. A good experience, but I never had the slightest urge to go again.

In the news - Pastor Mick Fleming (who looks more like a Bond villain everytime I see him) has just featured in a major news item from Burnley on Sky News. It's wonderful to see a reformed criminal doing such good work. :smile:

PS Knavesmire - try Google - there's more to it than the obvious. Even a whole village of the name. :smile:
Last edited by Tripps on 13 Jul 2022, 22:40, edited 1 time in total.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

""Where there's poverty, there's anxiety," he explains. "There's not knowing where your next meal is coming from. There's not knowing if you can put the gas or electric on. That causes stress and anxiety, and physical and of course mental health problems." Research by the charity Mental Health UK supports Mick's summary. It says the number of people contacting the charity for mental health and financial advice has gone up by over 96% in the past 12 months."
Clever bit of puffery here. State a truism and quote a respected institution that has voiced an opinion on the same subject. Result a link in the reader's brain between the subject and the institution where non actually exists. Every time I see that man in the news my crap detector starts whining! I mentioned my disquiet to a local Councillor (Not a counsellor!) and he said he understood, he had the same thoughts himself but he knew one of the volunteers who has gone onboard and says that he is a good and sensible man and he has been converted so as far as he was concerned the jury was out.

Meanwhile, in another part of the forest, the Ukraine entry has won the Eurovision Song Contest. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”