Seen in the News

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Tizer »

This might interest at least one OG member. The authorities say it's to stop scams but they're pulling in people who view Western news web sites such as Bloomberg...
`China uses anti-fraud app to track access to overseas financial news sites: Police identify and question people on back of software meant to prevent online scams' Financial Times
`Chinese police are using a new anti-fraud app installed on more than 200m mobile phones to identify and question people who have viewed overseas financial news sites, according to individuals summoned by the authorities. The app was launched in March by the public security ministry’s National Anti-Fraud Center and blocks suspicious phone calls and reports malware. Police said it was needed to combat a surge in fraud, often perpetrated by overseas operations managed by Chinese and Taiwanese nationals. The ministry recommended that the app was downloaded but numerous local government agencies made it mandatory for their employees and individuals with whom they work, such as students and tenants....

`The app has also generated thousands of privacy-related complaints online from people who said they had to download it in order to rent apartments or enrol their children in schools. A dozen individuals told the FT they were uncomfortable giving the app 29 permissions, including live monitoring of call logs, text messages and conversations, in order to install it on their phones...Parents from across the country said they had to download the app before they were allowed to enrol their children in school. In Shenzhen, some tenants have been required to install it before signing rental leases. “I have never seen such an abuse of government power to promote an unpopular app,” said an office worker in eastern Anhui province who had to download the app before he could apply for an identification card...'.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

It hasn't affected my access to UK financial sites. As far as I know I haven't got the app on my phone. Don't forget it was China a few years ago that put a "back door" in the operating system on every computer that was sold. I've forgotten the details now. Personally I couldn't care less whether they do or do not spy on me, it must be boring for them, and if you don't do anything wrong you have nothing to get stressed out about.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

If China knew so much, if the C-19 virus was lab created how come they dont appear to know what research, in detail, was being done ?
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

A new military strategic alliance has been formed consisting of UK, the USA, and Australia. It is meant to provide Australia with a nuclear propelled submarine capability, and will be known as AUKUS.

Seems the French are a bit miffed for being left out - however it would have been very difficult to get the letter F almost anywhere into the acronym without it sounding a bit rude. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I think THIS, the loss of a $40billion contract to build submarines for Australia is what is really upsetting La France....
I like your reference to the acronym David. It reminds me of the problems that arose when the honour of Fellow of the University College of Keele was created and one recipient insisted on using the initials behind his name.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tripps wrote: 16 Sep 2021, 10:24 A new military strategic alliance has been formed consisting of UK, the USA, and Australia. It is meant to provide Australia with a nuclear propelled submarine capability, and will be known as AUKUS.

Seems the French are a bit miffed for being left out - however it would have been very difficult to get the letter F almost anywhere into the acronym without it sounding a bit rude. :smile:
I thought you were making a joke about the French, and I'm sure you were, but as Stanley points out, they lost out billions because of this deal. Good! Let's have more!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Perhaps if General Sherman burns down it might at least impress on the Americans that they need to do something to stop climate change - the Americans, on an individual basis, are the ones most responsible for climate change.
`California fires: General Sherman and other sequoias given blankets' LINK
`Firefighters are wrapping fire-resistant blankets around ancient trees as blazes tear through California's world-famous Sequoia National Park. Officials fear the fire could reach the Giant Forest, a grove of some of the world's biggest trees, within hours. The forest hosts some 2,000 sequoias, including the 275ft (83m) General Sherman, the biggest tree by volume on Earth and about 2,500 years old...'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'll bet this isn't the first fire it's seen in 2,500 years. I thought the thick bark made them virtually fireproof.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Oh the irony. . . .

After years of government effort to get rid of CO2 there is now said to be a shortage. This will impact on the food industry, and would you believe it - the slaughter of pigs. (no me neither).

After stopping fracking there's now a shortage of gas to make fertiliser - and a lot more essential products I'd guess.

We're doomed I tell you. . . Private Fraser. :smile:

PS here it is CO2 shortage
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

All down to the soaring price of energy David, both gas and electricity. Carbon dioxide is a useful by-product from chemical processes making other products like fertilizer and the cost of energy is too high for some plants and they can't make money so have to shut down. This leads to more problems as many of these processes are continuous and shutting them down means a rapid deterioration of the plant which has to be refurbished before it can start again. Carbon dioxide is used to stun pigs at slaughter. The pig industry has enough problems at the moment without being hit by this as well.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Carbon Dioxide.
The above article explains it all. The fertilizer industry can't afford the higher gas prices. A by-product is Carbon dioxide which is used mainly as dry ice (minus 70C) for packaging and preservative transport measures. The NHS use it for cooling items. The bottom line being if you can't keep it cool in storage until a lorry driver is found it just rots and goes to waste. So what do you do with the pigs? I would suggest letting the loose on the motorways this would demonstrate the insanity of our Brexit and taking control of our borders.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did anyone notice what Nicola Sturgeon said this week when she was questioned about the practicality of bringing the army in to help with what is an average 6 hour waiting time for an ambulance. She said that it was no different to what was happening in England. Did anyone know the army were helping out here?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Yes...
`Army supporting ambulance services in England' (By Simon Dedman, Health correspondent, BBC News, 20 August 2021) LINK
They're also helping in N. Ireland. We're up the creek without a paddle!
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"The union, Unison, said it was a "sign things are not right" within the ambulance service."
That caught my eye in the article. It may be a bit of an understatement.
Have a look at THIS Guardian article which lifts the lid off Andrew Neil's departure from GB news. It appears he was sacked for not turning up for work. A spokes person said that he had been 're-negotiating his £700,000 contract'.
Unbelievable isn't it. A wage like that and failing to work..... It's a parallel universe.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the fact that the government has been forced into emergency talks with energy companies after the sharp rise in international prices. They will have to learn that this sort of event will become more common as we embrace Johnson's vision of 'Global Britain.
Johnson says "It is a temporary problem" and "the market will sort itself out".
God help us if our lives are to depend on the vagaries of the market.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

plaques wrote: 18 Sep 2021, 07:22 Carbon Dioxide.
The above article explains it all. The fertilizer industry can't afford the higher gas prices. A by-product is Carbon dioxide which is used mainly as dry ice (minus 70C) for packaging and preservative transport measures. The NHS use it for cooling items. The bottom line being if you can't keep it cool in storage until a lorry driver is found it just rots and goes to waste. So what do you do with the pigs? I would suggest letting the loose on the motorways this would demonstrate the insanity of our Brexit and taking control of our borders.
One (US?Canadian?) company appears to have had a loan or subsidy to buy gas. Other companies may not have this support.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have you had earthquakes Cathy?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Cathy
VIP Member

Post by Cathy »

Just heard. The afternoon news is reporting a 5.9 earthquake in Victoria. Also felt in NSW and Tasi and parts of Adelaide.
Some Adelaide CBD high rise buildings were evacuated.
Victoria has been told to brace for after-shocks.
A073C0D4-D9C2-48DC-8B44-6F35483F795D.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I know I'm in my own little world, but it's OK... they know me here. :)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As long as you're OK Cathy!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Marylebone Cricket Club (MCC) has approved an amendment to the game's laws to use the gender-neutral term 'batter' instead of 'batsman'.

I usually have it on fish...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Big Kev wrote: 22 Sep 2021, 13:06 I usually have it on fish...
Not for much longer I fear.

Batter :-
To hit and behave violently towards a person, especially a woman or child, repeatedly over a long period of time, or to hit something with force many times:
He was battered to death with a rifle butt.
He was battering (at/on) the door with his fists and howling.

In order not to 'trigger' anxiety in those in the susceptble population, it will surely be phased out soon. Probably be called 'crispy coated' or something equally inoffensive. Can't see it catching on in Yorkshire though. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

There was a complaint to The Times because one of its journalists referred to a Roman ship having a `battering ram'. The complainer, who seemed to know a lot about the history of such ships, said that a battering ram is something that you run at the castle gates with, repeatedly, until they break open. The ship's ram is referred to as... just a ram. He pointed out that you can't put one of those ships into reverse and try it repeatedly! :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'd agree about the ram on a ship as opposed to a land based battering ram that relies on repeated blows and can be said to be battering the obstacle down. Ships using rams don't batter, they pierce as with a beak.
As for these 'adjustments' to the language. Do they have to be announced formally? Why not just apply the change and wait until people notice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

The backlash to the Colne Blues Festival decision has made the BBC News
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-l ... e-58666271
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I read it Kev and was surprised to see A. Stephenson MP is still alive and a blues fan....
Amazing to see that suddenly MPs are experts in the wages and conditions of HGV drivers and therefore the reasons why there is a shortage. see THIS BBC report for some of the reasons.... I note that Brexit is not directly mentioned as a cause..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”