Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

Is THIS what you read Peter? I heard a news report the other day saying we should now refer to 'Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon', UAP .
Encouraging news for Bacup which at one time held the dubious distinction of having more UFO (Or UAP) sightings than anywhere else in Britain.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

All Belarus flights stopped immediately. No concessions for residents, or British passport holders to return home. Due to an incident involving an Irish airline travelling from Greece to Lithuania. No direct British interest.

Flights from India took weeks to stop when there was an urgent British health interest. Probably caused the current Indian Covid variant problem.

Show me puzzled. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 24 May 2021, 19:50 All Belarus flights stopped immediately. No concessions for residents, or British passport holders to return home. Due to an incident involving an Irish airline travelling from Greece to Lithuania. No direct British interest.

Flights from India took weeks to stop when there was an urgent British health interest. Probably caused the current Indian Covid variant problem.

Show me puzzled.
But we are not trying to get a trade deal with Belarus.

A limited number of flights between India and the UK continue to operate. To book tickets and to see important guidance prior to travel you should check airline websites. The British High Commission cannot assist with ticketing. The aviation sector remains unpredictable and is subject to change with short notice. To get the latest information sign up for travel advice email alerts. If you need emergency help from the UK government, contact the nearest British Embassy, Consulate or High Commission.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"But we are not trying to get a trade deal with Belarus."
I think Ken has hit the nail on the head there David. Covid has trumped Brexit in the news but the politicians know what's going to be the next tricky question they have to answer. "Where's the £350million a week?"
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Government advice has emerged urging people not to travel into and out of areas hardest hit by the Indian coronavirus variant unless necessary. The guidance for Kirklees, Bedford, Burnley, Leicester, Hounslow and North Tyneside was published online without an announcement on Friday.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-57232728
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

And since then there have been many protests because the original publication of advice was only for Bolton and none of the councils was approached direct. This has resulted in a revision of the 'advice'. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 24 May 2021, 11:06 Is THIS what you read Peter? I heard a news report the other day saying we should now refer to 'Unidentified Aerial Phenomenon', UAP .
No it was a journalist of The Times reporting his surprise that top US military and government officials now seem to be taking UFOs/UAPs seriously as aliens from another world. Perhaps the officials are all Trump appointees!
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Mostly lightening and odd USA/USSR experimental aircraft ? ( manned and unmanned)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

There's only been one subject in the news at a time, the day started with BBC failings and ended with Cummings.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report that an 18 year old man has been charged with the shooting of Sasha Johnson who is still critically ill in hospital.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Argentina news reports that one of the greatest writers of all time, William Shakespeare, has died. They researched that report well...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-57287764
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Well it gave the Twitterati a chance to show off their sense of humour!

This gave me one of those `Oh no! moments. The libertarians don't want government `interfering in their lives' but they (and their children) need protecting from themselves...
`NHS calls for ban on toy neodymium magnets amid child safety fears'
`An online trend that involves using tiny magnets as fake tongue piercings has led the NHS to call for them to be banned amid people swallowing them. Ingesting more than one of them can be life-threatening and cause significant damage within hours. In England, 65 children have required urgent surgery after swallowing magnets in the last three years....'.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Boris and the First Floosie have got married. I won't be able to call her that again. :smile: I have no words to describe my reaction, and wish the happy couple all the best.
Dead cat thrown on the table is my first reaction though.

"But Catherine Pepinster, Catholic author and broadcaster, explained that as Mr Johnson was himself baptised a Catholic but married previously in non-Catholic settings, the church did not recognise his previous marriages. She said: 'As far as the Church is concerned, this is his first marriage."

So that's all OK then. . . . A triumph of hope over experience. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Amazing what can become a 'trend' Peter.
David, I also have no reaction to the wedding beyond "Why should this be breaking national news?"
Far more important to me is the fact that we are promised a summer day!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 30 May 2021, 02:40 Amazing what can become a 'trend' Peter.
So true, and especially so for `non-fungible tokens' (NFTs) on the Web. The human race seems to have now divided into two sub-races - the scammers and the gullible (and a minority resistance group that includes members of OGFB!). Have a look at this...
`Buying a pink NFT cat was a crypto nightmare' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57273904LINK
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That's all beyond me Peter. They have lost touch with reality.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Have a look at THIS. One for Wendy and Gloria I think. Miniature horses used as therapy in a care home.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Not just in care homes. Horse therapy

I noted yesterday that it's exactly five years since I started my own personal version of 'horse therapy'. There have been a lot of ups and downs. On a small 'up' at the moment. Can't last. :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I'm not making any assumptions about you David but I have a friend who is in a syndicate that owns a horse. He says the only useful return is free FYM for his garden. I had another friend who owned a yacht. His definition of it was that it was a hole in the water you threw money into.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tripps wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 10:40 I noted yesterday that it's exactly five years since I started my own personal version of 'horse therapy'. There have been a lot of ups and downs. On a small 'up' at the moment. Can't last.
Perhaps at the moment they are all trying to win. :laugh5:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I see that Trump has knocked access to his blog on the head. It was proving to be more of a nuisance than an asset. (LINK)
Good! :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS for a strange story about a Covid scientist who is being stalked by a sniper.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The really chilling aspect is that the soldier out to kill the scientist has tens of thousands of supporters...
`In the days that followed Jürgen Conings' disappearance, a support group was created for the ex-soldier on Facebook. Before being closed down, it had attracted nearly 50,000 members. It's this group that worries Prof Van Ranst more than his assailant. "These are real people, who really think this man is a hero and that I deserve to die. They are people, living in your neighbourhood, who wage bets on exactly when and with how many bullets he will murder me".

What isn't mentioned in the article is that many scientists and medics involved in fighting covid-19 have been targeted on social media with threats of violence, to them and to their families. It's happened in the UK and other countries. Anthony Fauci in the US has had to have himself and his family protected by security men.

A nurse in America has just been banned from practising because she's been spreading claims on social media that the covid virus doesn't exist and using her nurse status in an attempt to convince people. She also sows the usual anti-vax, anti-G5 claims too. I wonder what's wrong with the brains of such people. Are they mad, paranoid, disturbed or just downright liars who love creating havoc?
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Tizer wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 08:28 I wonder what's wrong with the brains of such people. Are they mad, paranoid, disturbed or just downright liars who love creating havoc?
Anti-Vaccers and Creationists have one single thought that Trumps, if that is the right word, all others. Totally resistant to any change in facts willing to believe they are always right and prepared to bet YOUR life on it.
chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Tizer wrote: 05 Jun 2021, 08:28 ... what's wrong with the brains of such people. Are they mad, paranoid, disturbed or just downright liars who love creating havoc?
They're just Yanks, they believe anything! They must be amongst the most stupid people on Earth.

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”