Seen in the News

Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Big Kev »

He couldn't do much else really, I'm interested to know who 'leaked' the picture from the CCTV footage. What else is being leaked from ministers' offices?
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Are you sure its from a CCTV.? Hancock and the young lady would know where all the cameras were and where they were pointing. A broom cupboard seems a safer bet. All looks a bit fishy to me.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

As far as I understand it, the most surprising thing is that there is a picture at all. Would ministers agree to having CCTV in their private rooms? Like Ken, it looks like a stitch-up to me.
If it was, it was justified. "Do as I say not as I do" is no basis for high office and hat applies to the PM as well.
See THIS for a BBC pen portrait.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I read today whilst surfing - that Andrew Marr had just had Covid, and that Boris and Carrie (FLOTUK?) were in Portugal for a sunny weekend break. I assumed both were fake news.

The first seems to be true - I wonder about the second? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I see that Sir Lewis Hamilton came second in the Styrian Grand Prix. I have no interest at all in such things - except where the heck is Styria? :laugh5:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

No! I'm just watching it now....didnt expect to see the result on here!! :nooo:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

That was unfortunate.... :biggrin2:
I have the same query David. So I had a furtle.... "The March of Styria derived its name from the original seat of its ruling Otakar dynasty: Steyr, in today's Upper Austria. In German, the area is still called "Steiermark" while in English the Latin name "Styria" is used."
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

:biggrin2: I avoid the news all afternoon so I can watch the F1 highlights on C4 at 6.30pm, pop onto One Guy during the ad break and there it is!! All the excitement and anticipation wiped out in a second...... :sigh:
I can't blame Tripps, he wasn't to know that he was going to spoil the highlight of my day...... :sad:
Looking forward to next weekend, same race again!! :laugh5:
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Wendyf wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 05:58 I can't blame Tripps, he wasn't to know
Well thank goodness for that ! I thought I was in big trouble yesterday. Considered doing the decent thing and tendering my resignation. :smile:

Reminded me of the Likely Lads episode where they were avoiding the result of a football match.
Just watched a bit of it - not what you'd call politically correct is it? :laugh5:

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Screenshot_20210628-194151_Facebook.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I really was looking forward to this new channel, but must admit I've been disappointed. I was amazed by the initial viewing figures- not those GBN, but the size of the BBC and Sky audience. They both seem very small for the cost of those channels.

Actually it doesn't seem to be a 'news' channel at all - just a series of 'talking heads' type conversations of varying quality. I can't get it on ordinary TV, but have watched a couple of hours on my tablet - Andrew Neil's interview with the Chairman of Extinction Rebellion was very good, and I can't see such a thing being on any other channel. Then he spoilt it by saying he was taking a 'break' after only two weeks. He is over seventy though, and has many other responsibilities.

I thnk they need to look at the format again, though if the target is to beat BBC and SKY news - even success will need deep pockets by the founders. I think fingers will be burnt. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I have managed to avoid it David (never did like Brillo). But all the reports I have seen agree with your assessment.
I was thinking that as well Wendy. Saving the teams a fortune not having to travel.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 28 Jun 2021, 02:29 That was unfortunate.... :biggrin2:
I have the same query David. So I had a furtle.... "The March of Styria derived its name from the original seat of its ruling Otakar dynasty: Steyr, in today's Upper Austria. In German, the area is still called "Steiermark" while in English the Latin name "Styria" is used."
Puch Styr made motor scooters, I think post WW2 in the Czech republic.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

One degree of frost last night at Braemar. Funny weather, frost in July......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report about the Queen awarding the George Cross to the National Health Service. I'm not a fan of the honours system as you know but in this case I thoroughly approve.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Every cloud has a silver lining..... Who would have thought that the Covid pandemic would stimulate production of white vans and lead to a reprieve of the Ellesmere Port factory. (LINK)
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

This morning we have hysteria in certain sections of the public, something to do with a football match I suspect.
I have little doubt the government will try to act as though the victory is down to them. I can't help what happens if, after all this hype and build-up the England team lose the final.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Oh no, not another dam problem! We'll see more of this dangerous belligerence between countries over access to water as climate change proceeds...
`River Nile dam: Why Ethiopia can't stop it being filled' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Stanley wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 05:16 I can't help what happens if, after all this hype and build-up the England team lose the final.....
There will probably be Diana like mass hysteria and meltdown.

We watched it and it was on ITV whose commentators apart from Ian Wright are pretty dire. They must have told us over a dozen times during the early game that England had not concede a goal throughout the entire tournament! Not long after Denmark scored which put that one to bed thank goodness. :smile: It was exceptionally sporting of Denmark to score the equaliser for us as well. Game sealed by a missed penalty from England's top striker but put away luckily on the rebound because the goalie couldn't keep hold of it. I'm not an expert as I only watch football on big cup matches etc. However having said that we had possession of the ball far more than the Danes and I reckon the win was earned even though it required Danish help. Just thinking, if they hadn't have scored for us it would have gone to penalties. Gareth Southgate's Nemesis. :extrawink:

An equally remarkable shock horror win was by the Polish lad that knocked Roger Federer out of the running in straight sets at Wimbledon yesterday. A fantastic performance but in the latter stages it certainly looked like Roger was showing his 39 years. Watching it I got the feeling that it was probably the last time we would see him at Wimbledon. Young guns always prevail in the end. :extrawink:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

The nightmare continues - we're in the final of the European Cheaters Championship. The standard has been high this year and the opponents in the final are highly skilled at the game.

The memory will long remain of the Italian forward, in absolute agony having 'gone down' in the area who miraculously recovered when he noticed play had continued, and they'd scored. Sterling's dive to secure victory, wasn't really in the same league.

I'm looking up 'deed poll' as the possibilty that Kieran misses a penalty remains. Southgate keeps bringing him on in the closing minutes for additional defence. It's very worrying.

I love the quote on the radio this morning - granddaughter in the last few minutes of the match says - which colour are England?
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 10:45 I'm looking up 'deed poll' as the possibilty that Kieran misses a penalty remains. Southgate keeps bringing him on in the closing minutes for additional defence. It's very worrying.
Is he just a namesake or a relative David? Just wondering as it's not a particularly common name. :smile:
Ian
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I don't think he's a relative, but they nearly all originate from the Rossendale / Haslingden area, and I guess most are connected somewhere down the line. He's spoiled the Google search though. When it all started I came up at number eight. Out of sight now - even Sir David doesn't get a look in. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did I see a suggestion that someone was trying to distract the goalkeeper with a laser? Hardly fits in with the image of the beautiful game.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Jul 2021, 11:43 it's not a particularly common name
English Heritage have taken an interest.

"England captain Harry Kane's family name is most common in Newcastle and means "warrior", while right-back Kieran Trippier's name means "to dance" and is most popular in Bolton".

Up to a point Lord Copper - other explanations are available. . . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I was wondering where English Heritage were holed up these days. It's 6th Floor, 100 Wood Street, London,EC2V 7AN. This is the Old Prudential building at Holborn Bars.
It used to be Fortress House, 23 Savile Row. I was told that it was called Fortress House after an insurance company that used to own it but have since found that was a canard.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”