Seen in the News

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Tizer »

`Fears over 'weakening' of UK green watchdog' LINK
`Campaigners fear that the legal body designed to protect the environment on behalf of citizens is being undermined by the UK government. Ministers promised that after Brexit, laws on air, water and waste would be policed by an independent Office for Environmental Protection (OEP). Previously, these laws were enforced by European courts, which prosecuted EU governments that breached green rules. Ministers promised the OEP would be similarly independent. But they now want to grant themselves powers to “advise” the new body. These plans were revealed in a tabled amendment to the Environment Bill. Critics fear ministers may counsel the OEP against taking the government to court if it breaches laws.'
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ken, I opened that link to the Craven Herald site and experienced what I can only describe as a tsunami of advertisements. I have news for the CH, if they think that's the way to attract people like me, forget it!

Peter, no surprise there surely. The idea of this government introducing a supervisory body and then giving it teeth is ludicrous. I have never see a government more addicted to control. Cabinet and the House are almost redundant. Johnson doesn't even attend his party's liaison committee.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The statement in this headline is blindingly obvious to us and to politicians but unfortunately politicians `don't do' long-term planning, they're only concerned with their short term in office. That's where our democratic mode of government falls down in comparison with autocrats who go on for decades and want to plan for the long-term because they'll still be there when the future happens. The pandemic shouldn't have been a surprise to anyone, there were lots of warnings over the years...
`Cheaper to prevent pandemics than 'cure' them' LINK
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

The billionaires of the western world have seen their fortunes grow by 40% during the pandemic while lesser mortals are stationary or in a downward spiral. Why would they want to prevent any future pandemics?
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Don't forget that Bill and Melinda Gates are the second biggest funder of the WHO... :smile:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Two swallows don't make a summer Peter. They are exceptions. Ken's point about the movement of wealth from the 'have nots' to the 'haves' is valid. It was true in the 1930s as well. Joseph Piketty sees it as the major danger of the 21st century and I have no reason to argue with him.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I agree with his point but we have to note exceptions rather than simply branding them as all the same - and it was meant to be `tongue in cheek'. You have a tendency to take everything as serious, Stanley. :extrawink:

This will lighten you up! They are probably the kind of men who vote for people like Boris and Trump...
`Essex firefighters rescue three men from tumble dryer' LINK
`Three men had to be rescued by firefighters after getting stuck in a tumble dryer. Essex County Fire and Rescue Service were called to a derelict laundry in Bower Hill, Epping, on Friday after the men, thought to be in their late teens, crawled into an industrial-sized dryer. Two were in the dryer when the third's "ankles became trapped in the door" as he crawled in, the service said..'.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

They should have switched it on! :extrawink:
Ian
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I thought it might have been a test run for Priti Patel's next project to deal with immigrants and criminals! :extrawink:
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 01 Nov 2020, 09:54 I agree with his point but we have to note exceptions rather than simply branding them as all the same - and it was meant to be `tongue in cheek'. You have a tendency to take everything as serious, Stanley. :extrawink:
Gates' seem to fund projects that appeal to their prejudices. Not all interventions in 3rd World (developing economies / whatever) are benefical , whats needed is as much education as medical injection quick fixes that dont change long term thinking.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Distribution of wealth is serious.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

`Brexit: Watchdog warns of 'significant' border disruption' LINK
`UK trade with the EU faces "significant disruption" when the Brexit transition period ends in January, a government spending watchdog has said. The National Audit Office (NAO) said it was "very unlikely" traders would be ready for checks the EU is due to impose at its borders. It also warned "limited" time remained for UK ports to test new IT systems....
`In a report, the NAO said the end of the transition period would bring "significant change," even if the UK agrees a trade deal with the EU. Even with a deal, traders will face new hurdles to clear - including the need to fill in customs declarations on goods being traded. HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) estimates it may need to process 270 million customs declarations from 2021, compared with 55 million currently. In June, the government announced that - regardless of whether it reaches a post-Brexit trade deal - new checks on EU goods entering Great Britain would be phased in over six months from January 2021 to give firms "time to adjust". However, the NAO said there was still "uncertainty" over where new border infrastructure would be located and whether it would be ready. It also expressed concern traders would not be ready for the full checks on UK exports the EU is planning to implement from the start of 2021. It cited the government's latest "worse case scenario" planning figures, which estimate 40% to 70% of lorries crossing the English Channel will not be ready...'.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Spot on Peter! As Trump sinks below the waves and the country settles into lockdown the news rooms are going to need fresh meat! They are likely to find it in Brexit. In case anyone has forgotten, we are getting very close to the end of the year. Despite all the reassurances it seems that the extra staff needed aren't in place, the computer programmes are not yet up and running and we haven't even got the processing centre locations agreed. (I think we may have some car parks where trucks can sit and fester....) If I've got this wrong please put me right!
I don't see how anyone can make meaningful forecasts about the economy or employment until we know the effects of Brexit and that's a question of wait and see.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

chinatyke
Donor

Post by chinatyke »

Maybe the government will delay the end of the year, using the same logic as Daylight Saving Time. :biggrin2:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I heard an Irish politician from south of the border being completely unable to answer any questions about the border. The impression he gave was that he had no idea what was going to happen and was just waiting to see what happened. As he said when asked about border posts and checks, it's not down to us, they are the responsibility of the UK. No evidence at all of any preparations.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

It's difficult to find anything much in the news that's up to date on the Brexit borders topic. I did find this from 15 October...
`UK is not doing enough to get Irish-facing ports ready for Brexit' LINK

As for trade, we're also faced with the possibility that the US may give priority to Germany now as it's link with Europe, rather than the UK. Various services and business owners are drifting away to the EU.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I note that when Johnson spoke to von der Leyen yesterday they were only 'redefining' the problems.
It's almost as though we have given up.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Today's news is not all good. See THIS BBC report about a set-back for the Chinese candidate in trials in Brazil.
The Pfizer vaccine has triggered euphoria in stock markets but there will be a reaction when it sinks in that this isn't instant relief. It's good news but we will only be sure we have a viable way out of the problem when we see it working long term. Watch and wait!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The single death in the Chinese trial is like the single occurrence that temporarily stopped the Oxford trial. They have to stop for any death or illness until they've confirmed it was due to another cause. It would be a surprise if no such event occurred. The Pfizer results are remarkably good and much better than would be expected for a completely new virus. Obviously we have to hope that no adverse effects occur over time but that's the case with any new vaccine or drug.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Did you see the way shares reacted? It illustrates how volatile the markets are. The best vaccine in the world with the best effect won't start the major travel industries again, it will take time, a long time.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS BBC report on the state of play in the US. It is surreal, Mike Pompeo is even talking about the next Trump administration. The sooner it all reaches a conclusion the better.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See this latest news (LINK) and wonder how much we can know about tensions building in Downing Street as we near B Day in less than two months.
Why no reports of Cabinet Meetings? Instead we get what Carrie thinks about Lee Cain.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

I can understand what's happening in the White House but the mad house in Downing Street beats me. And the Cabinet seems to be on a different planet to Parliament. I hope they've switched the cutlery for plastic replicas or there'll be blood on the carpet soon as the truth about Brexit begins to sink in.
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Stanley wrote: 07 Nov 2020, 08:31 I heard an Irish politician from south of the border being completely unable to answer any questions about the border. The impression he gave was that he had no idea what was going to happen and was just waiting to see what happened. As he said when asked about border posts and checks, it's not down to us, they are the responsibility of the UK. No evidence at all of any preparations.
So the republic is not going to check and charge duties on imports from NI ? or rely on paperwork being submitted correctly?
Of course the flip is that Eire exporters file paperwork to sell / move stuff to NI VAT etc free, do it enough and it undermines the NI economy ?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Peter, I heard one commentator saying yesterday that her impression was heightened tension as it became clearer how badly prepared we are for January 1st. My question is, does anyone respect the PM? He's being treated as though everyone thinks he is a buffoon and incapable of putting his foot down one way or the other.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”