Seen in the News

plaques
Donor

Re: Seen in the News

Post by plaques »

I'm having a bad night. I now see my old school in Burnley is being turned into an exclusive wedding venue. Link I suppose its quite appropriate really having gone through a lot of suffering in this medieval place of torture its nice to see them keeping the tradition going. :sad:
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Cynical old bugger.... :biggrin2: (I wonder if a graphic depiction of a bladder being strangled by an enlarged prostate is the most sensitive image to insert in a puff for a wedding venue?)
PS. Commiserations for the broken night. I hate it when I have the odd night when I can't sleep.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Headlines.
Russian soldier says commander shot himself in leg to get out of Ukraine

It won't do him any good. Our Buffoon shot himself in both feet to get out of the EU, and he's still in charge.

McDonald's to leave Russia for good

Get back immediately. How can we win a war if the enemy is fit and healthy?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Those both made me laugh Ken even though they are deadly serious subjects.
What grabbed me were the reports that the Ukrainians are driving the Russians back to the border. I suppose I draw on my experience of listening to the news during WW2 and what I learned about manipulation and propaganda by comparing what we heard with the reality available to us after the war. There is little doubt in my mind that we are being fed some highly optimistic reports form the front. The classic example in WW2 was of course the presentation of Dunkirk as a stunning success when of course it was a total defeat. So when you hear of these successes, recognise that the Russians are being fed the same reports as successes. Who's right? Nobody actually.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Heard actually. Brenda has had another surprise away day.... She has visited the cross rail project and surprised everyone. She's making a point!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Me too . . . . :smile:

QE II
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

:biggrin2: :good:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Interesting to watch things develop and become accepted when they are plainly doubtful at best. The idea that poor people can feed themselves for 30p a meal - a misquote from Lee Anderson MP, now expanded to 30p a day (by Doctor Rosena Allin Khan MP on TV last night), and despite being ridiculous, went totally unchallenged by anyone on the show.

Elsie - the bus riding to keep warm activist - is now part of the poverty folk law, and the latest star is the long serving Detective Constable from North Wales who despite having a salary of £40,000 per annum says she has to borrow from her mum to put fuel in her car, and struggles to feed her child. She did manage to bravely scrape a holiday in Portugal though. :smile:

The process seem to be that the story emerges from the news pipe, is taken at face value, no hard questions to follow, then is accepted and quoted as total truth by people who really should know better, but whose political situation it suits.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

I've often wondered that if we buried a time capsule containing a copy of the Express and Mail newspapers in a hundred years time people will think that events and living conditions are far different of what they are in practice. A bit like the Bible.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I got my information not from The Mail, but from having watched a live excerpt from her questioning the Home Secretary at a Police conference, and the follow up interview with Nick Ferrari on LBC. That reinforces my long held thought that it's best to ignore anything said at such a conference. The Teachers' Union one, usually in Harrogate at Easter, is often a good source of nonsense. :smile:

I am not a Mailophobic, and find that I look at the website (in company with millions of others) fairly regularly. I combine what I read and hear, with my "lived experience" (that phrase is on my list :smile: ) accompanied by a generous dose of scepticism, and reach the best conclusion I can. I have looked at their coverage and I'd say everything they have printed seems to fit with what I heard from other sources.

I like her phrase "I have spoken to my accountant" . She seems she likes the idea that if she stays in this 'underpayed' job, she can retire on full pension at 55 years old, rather than waiting till she is 67 - and who can blame her? Many would change places with her.

Visceral hatred of one side by the other is common these days, and blights many arguments. I am far from clever, but I'd back my conclusion against most others. :smile:

PS That's enough news and arguing for one day - I'm off to the Tatts Breeze Up sale in Ireland now.
Lots of lovely horses and dreams. . . :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Fantasy horse sales are as good an antidote as any David. My favourite is the shed of course.I didn't take much notice of the news yesterday, I was too busy dealing with the hole in me head!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

News from Bacup Marketisn't good. Stalls closing include Sue's croissant patisserie - though I think she said they'd moved to Burnley?

PS - Yes in the comments the proprietor confirms that, and sound a bit annoyed.

I remember calling in there a long time ago on a detour my way home from Preston to Dover. Used to do daft things like that then.

I got some steak from the butcher's stall. I recall being irritated by having to join a queue to be served, and the woman at the front said '"what have you got that's good today Peter?" Good grief - get on with it - I thought but didn't say. Pace of life is slower here than at home I thought. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

"Pace of life is slower here than at home I thought."
The lady was asking a very important question David!
We'll have to ask Sue about Bacup Market.
See THIS BBC report on the fact that Chancellor Rishi Sunak and his wife have made the Sunday Times Rich List. Tell me why I find this so deeply depressing......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Headline....

UK government briefings accusing Sue Gray of ‘playing politics’ condemned by minister

Simon Clarke has accused Sue Gray of playing politics. Ms Gray was given the job of investigation the 'gatherings' (Partygate) by our number one politician Prime Minister Boris Johnson. Her draft report to Boris was rather explosive as for as No10 was concerned. So off it went into Long Grass territory being passed to the Metropolitan (MET) police who initially didn't want anything do do with it. Months later the MET found numerous instances of excessive gatherings on the limited number of events they chose to investigate. Boris Johnson owns the report and created an argument about have much detail should be included although initially he assumed it would be a complete whitewash where he said it would be published in full. Somehow it has become Sue Gray's fault for adding in extra delay by telling the truth.

The question is who is really playing politics?
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Answer from me is "Whoever is trying to prevent the full report being published"....
(I think the bottom line is that they are all frightened by Sue Gray, she's too thorough and forthright. They should have thought about this before commissioning her to do the investigation and report.... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

This is from The Daiy Mash and purports to be the minutes of the so called meeting between Sue Gray and someone else - :smile:

SEVERAL weeks ago, I did not attend a meeting with not the prime minister who at no point edited my report. Here is my timeline of non-events:

11am: A meeting spontaneously arose following no requests for one from either side. It simply came into being from nothing, as did the universe.

11.25am: The other party arrived at the non-meeting scratching his balls after an equally spontaneous lie-in.

11.35am: A draft of my report, which I had not yet written, was circulated for my sign-off. I noted its conclusions and resolved to work towards them while not receiving any advice to do so.

11.55am: I was not appraised of the foregone conclusions of the ongoing police investigation, nor was it suggested that I align my report with fines that the force would elect not to impose.

12.10pm: A full print-out of my pay, career progression and pension was not displayed, and no colourful threats were made as to the curtailment of my career. The editor of the Daily Mail was not put on speakerphone and explicitly did not say he would ‘f**king ruin me’.

12.15pm: The meeting concluded and, having done so, ceased to have ever happened. I resolved to write my entirely independent report without fear or favour to any involved parties, and certainly not our to-be-exonerated prime minister.

12.45pm: Did not to join an alcohol-fuelled business meeting to mark the Cabinet secretary Simon Case’s approaching departure. Did not drink a toast to ‘our heroic scapegoat.’ Shed no tears.

Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

David, it's coming to something when the arch-Tory Mail is lampooning a Tory government.....
See THIS BBC report complete with an image of Johnson drinking at a party held on November 13th according to ITV who published the pics. Partygate isn't over just yet although, as I said yesterday, he will survive as PM because nobody will have the balls to vote him out. Too many jobs and reputations at stake.
(I am reminded of something a professional thief once told me, "involve as many people as possible in the scam, that way they all have reasons to defend you......")
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Stanley wrote: 24 May 2022, 03:06 when the arch-Tory Mail is lampooning a Tory government.....
Hope you're not too disappointed, but it's from the satirical Daily Mash -not the Daily Mail. That would be the day ! :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Ah, I thought that was your name for the Mail..... :biggrin2:
See THIS BBC report of the Queen at Chelsea.
David, I think the theory that she's putting two fingers up at Brexit and the state of her realm at the moment holds water. It seems to me she is enjoying the privileges of old age, turning a blind eye to anything that can be classed as 'Duty'! Plenty of minions to do those for her. Why should she bother?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I read THIS BBC report.... "We seem to have got away with it" (Martin Reynolds - Boris Johnson's former principal private secretary in an email to a colleague.)
Reading this report tells more about the culture than the actual events. The Cabinet Office was fantasy land, completely divorced from real life. In real life parties and drinks are private occasions outside work, in Number Ten they were part of the working day.... If this is how all London government works no wonder we are in the shit......
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

What has really hit me hard about the Texas killings which in any sane country would demand immediate action but that the schools practice for such events. It appears that America has accepted that its OK for every deranged psychopath to go and buy guns with the sole purpose of killing people.

Not quite on the same level is the acceptance of Johnson's lies and unacceptable behaviour as normal in a civilised country. Time to get off this slippery slope before the rot spreads too far.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Couldn't agree with you more strongly Ken but how to do it?
I think it has to come from inside the Tory Party, Starmer and the opposition are too weak, pointed questions at PMQs play right into Johnson's hands. A march in London led by the Opposition Leaders would be more to the point.
Surely there are enough decent Tories to oust him? Or am I being naïve...
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

My big lad still gives me a hard time even now, since in his childhood the budget for sports shoes never ran to more than Dunlop Green Flash - which it seems were not very 'cool'.

I see yesterday that their time has come. . . . Pity it's in such terrible circumstances.
markle green flash.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

See THIS report on opinions expressed at the NRA meeting in Houston. Donald Trump to the fore taking about 'highly trained' teachers carrying concealed weapons and parents encouraged to do the same. In other words more guns not less.....
It is symptomatic of the place the US finds itself in, collective blindness to what is absolute madness based on the perceived need of citizens to be able to carry guns to defend themselves. They can't understand that from the outside this looks like madness.
As for Trump...... let's not forget his period in the White House, this is a welcome reminder.....
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

If everyone is roaming around carrying weapons how are law enforcement officers to decide who is the perpetrator?

Total insanity based on an archaic need to carry arms. All the original inhabitants have been pacified and are rounded up in detainment camps and the last time I looked British troops weren't fighting in the streets of Boston.
Ian

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”