Seen in the News

Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Seen in the News

Post by Stanley »

Heard on R4. Scorpion Venom is the most expensive liquid in the world. $39million a gallon. Discuss.
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 09:22 I'll carry on being confused then. :surprised:
Me too
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Stanley wrote: 07 Aug 2021, 04:31 We have a quote system built into the editor so why not use it rather than type it out and set italics and all that nonsense, just seems daft to me.
I'll carry on being daft Ian. Three keystrokes is no problem.
Can you make a note of who the quote is attributed to? It's not always obvious if it's taken from a much longer post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Please, if you don't mind I'll do things my way as I find the built in quote feature confusing. Particularly when it is used on text that is already a quote. I'm sure your lives won't be irretrievably spoiled and I will be a lot happier.
What grabbed me in the news last night was that the Taliban are steadily taking over in Afghanistan and the government denials are getting a bit thin to say the least. Other countries advising their nationals to get out is not a good sign particularly the US.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Horses for courses. I find it easiest to open the Post a Reply window, scroll to the post I want to quote from in the lower box, highlight the appropriate bit of text, then click the quote symbol and bingo, it's in my reply, which is the way I did the quote below...
Stanley wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 03:38 I find the built in quote feature confusing. Particularly when it is used on text that is already a quote.
I do agree with Stanley on this point. I've ended up with garbled posts that have shown the quoted text coming from the wrong person.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Tizer wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 09:36 Horses for courses. I find it easiest to open the Post a Reply window, scroll to the post I want to quote from in the lower box, highlight the appropriate bit of text, then click the quote symbol and bingo, it's in my reply, which is the way I did the quote below...
It's also the way I have done this one. :smile: I have just tried to explain it to Cathy in another thread.
Ian
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 10:33 Tizer wrote: ↑Horses for courses. I find it easiest to open the Post a Reply window, scroll to the post I want to quote from in the lower box, highlight the appropriate bit of text, then click the quote symbol and bingo, it's in my reply, which is the way I did the quote below...
It's also the way I have done this one. I have just tried to explain it to Cathy in another thread
Aye, same method I use :good:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

PanBiker wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 10:33
Tizer wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 09:36 Horses for courses. I find it easiest to open the Post a Reply window, scroll to the post I want to quote from in the lower box, highlight the appropriate bit of text, then click the quote symbol and bingo, it's in my reply, which is the way I did the quote below...
It's also the way I have done this one. :smile: I have just tried to explain it to Cathy in another thread.
I also use the quote option in the '3 dots' dropdown as the formatting looks better
20210808_115515.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Sorry Kev but I don't see that option, maybe it is only available to moderators. Certainly not on my admin view.
Ian
Wendyf
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Wendyf »

I don't see that either.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Mmmmmmm, I wonder why I have it...
Screenshot_20210808-135657_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

The only 3 dots I have is on contact choice.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Wendyf wrote: 08 Aug 2021, 12:35 I don't see that either.
Nor do I. But Kev's pic shows other things differently, eg. I don't see Global Moderator underneath Wendy's name. Are you viewing OG on a smartphone, Kev? Perhaps it's a mobile version with everything made narrow for the phone. When I see three dots anywhere it's usually on a smartphone.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

It is on a smartphone Tizer.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Ah, that will be the difference then. Everything has to be squished on a smartphone. The really smart thing would be to give them a big screen! :extrawink:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Turning the phone so the page is in landscape mode gives me this, pretty much the same as a PC screen.
Screenshot_20210809-114312_Chrome.jpg
So it's the smartphone formatting the page when in portrait mode. I forget a lot of people on here use a desktop/laptop.
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Thanks for confirming that Kev!
----------------------------------------

Elsewhere I''ve mentioned an article I read about the terrible state of Afghanistan. But it's not brilliant here in Europe. Another Times article reports an investigation into the cocaine trade. It's booming due to a good Colombian crop, increased demand and stockpiling to avoid the usual covid and Brexit trade problems. Very large consignments, measured in tons, are moving through places like Liverpool, Rotterdam and Hanover and being stockpiled in secret warehouses. An UK expert told the Times that what isn't going into the warehouses is being placed in containers that are dropped onto the seabed to be collected when needed by using GPS to locate it again. Cocaine use is still on the increase in the UK and use by women here has increased by `800% in 10 years'. Cocaine purity has improved and that makes it even more powerful. To make matters worse, the new president of Peru wants to open up their cocaine trade to the international market. No wonder the world seems to have gone mad! :smile:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Anti vaccine protestors stormed the old BBC headquarters in White City, London this afternoon. I think they may need to do a bit more research as the BBC moved out in 2013, the majority of the building is now residential. :biggrin2:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 99476.html
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Big Kev wrote: 09 Aug 2021, 17:18 Anti vaccine protestors stormed the old BBC headquarters in White City, London this afternoon. I think they may need to do a bit more research as the BBC moved out in 2013, the majority of the building is now residential. :biggrin2:
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/h ... 99476.html
Still home to some independent studios - mostly for ITV while Thames Studios in the Waterloo Area just on the Thames get redeveloped as a mix of studios more offices and no doubt other stuff too, so Loose Women , Possibly the early morning TV program (dont think thats from Manchester) and This Morning (Eamonn Holmes and his missus on at the present time), the studio set is green screened or similar behind the presenters to show the camera view of the Thames at the Thames Location (or they are re-running old spools of video !). I think the Saturday ITV cookery show might be from White City too.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

How on earth can any sensible person be anti-vaccination? One thing is certain, these protests will fade over time as the protesters die out after contracting Covid.
THIS BBC report caught my attention this morning. This affair, together with the Maxwell trial, has been simmering for a while. Something appears to be moving now. One wonders what Brenda thinks about having one of the 'Firm' being in court on sex charges.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Stanley wrote: 10 Aug 2021, 02:40 How on earth can any sensible person be anti-vaccination?
I suspect most of them are simply what we used to call anarchists, plus some weak-minded, gullible types who'll follow anyone who shouts loudest.
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I suppose you're right Peter. Either way they are stupid.
Later... I have just heard the CEO of an online employment agency say that for the first time in his career he has seen a worker 'up North' take a permanent full time job with a firm in the US working exclusively online and at home.
Is that the shape of things to come?
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Apparently loads of jobs are being advertised as working from home. I thought I'd have a try at wine tasting. :biggrin2:
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

plaques wrote: 11 Aug 2021, 07:30 Apparently loads of jobs are being advertised as working from home. I thought I'd have a try at wine tasting. :biggrin2:
:biggrin2:
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

Trust you to think of that one..... :biggrin2:
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”