Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Re: Coronavirus (Covid19) Corner

Post by Whyperion »

Tizer wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 10:15 The bad news....
`Covid: NHS doctor 'receives 20 to 30 abusive messages a day'' LINK
`Dr Samantha Batt-Rawden, an intensive care registrar, says NHS staff are facing "devastating" abuse online and at protests. She thinks it’s driven by coronavirus sceptics and anti-lockdown activists.
I am quite worried that many anti-lockdown advocates appear to be sitting in real or virtual time on the government benches. At times I wish someone would GM the virus to hit only the smug sceptics.

PMQs Today
"questions from backbenchers.
Tory Julian Sturdy says progress on the vaccination rollout is very encouraging and seeks assurances that it is the PM's "over-riding priority" to lift the current nationwide restrictions at the earliest opportunity when current targets are met and "immunity widens".
-------------- Once again there is part of the tories mainly that does not understand what an airborne viral disease actually is.
Tizer wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 10:15 The good news...
We've discussed interferon beta before. It has the advantage of being one of those drugs that we've had for a long time (since 1957) and have used for other illnesses such as multiple sclerosis, so it's properties and safety are well understood...
I am not so sure, I saw the BBC report earlier and was going to comment that :

"How does the treatment work?
Interferon beta is part of the body's first line of defence against viruses, warning it to expect a viral attack.
The coronavirus seems to suppress its production as part of its strategy to evade our immune systems."

To me , logically , if part of the virus proteins are reducing interferon beta (by what mechanism?), then the next variation will be to make that mechanism more effective if the host is otherwise assisted in the production or amount of interferon beta. Quite which side will win the arms race (First ? or at all?) I could not confidentally state.
Big Kev
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by Big Kev »

Looks like most of the supermarkets are enforcing the 'no mask no entry' policy. As Tizer said, a bit late but hopefully it'll make people more aware of what they're doing. It's good to see they are bringing security staff in to enforce it, there are still those who will argue the point though. Listening to the radio today there was talk of more emphasis put on the majority who are following restrictions, rather than the minority who don't. Perhaps a bit of psychology coming into play there...
Kev

Stylish Fashion Icon.
🍹
Whyperion
Location: Stockport, after some time in Burnley , After leaving Barnoldswick , except when I am in London

Post by Whyperion »

Out around the shops, STAFF still wearing masks incorrectly avoiding nose completely. I still blame medical procedural dramas on the telly for this, and vox pop interviews with folk removing masks (they dont stop you talking clearly ) or wearing them wrong.

Meanwhite back in the Forest
"As MPs have been mentioning today - a coronavirus variant has been found circulating in the Amazonas state of Brazil, and was picked up in Japan in travellers from the region. It’s different from the UK and South African variants, but it contains common mutations - two changes to the virus’ "spike" in particular which have been flagged as potentially making the virus more infectious."

Couple of things : Johnson indicates that reducing inbound travel from Brazil will be a good idea (well given its off and gone to Japan stable doors appear wide open) . Are the spike changes similar to, or on the same element as, the SA/Kent noted variations ? And Why on earth were folk from Japan out in Brazil where we know the president and politics were way out ahead of USA and UK in terms of denying Covid in the first place.
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I listened to Radio 4's 'More or Less' programme this morning. It's been recommended on here, and I've never heard a full episode. First of a new series. Tizer has recommended it, and I also would recommend it.

On a day when 1,564 people with Covid died, it looks as if the Government's target of all high risk groups, and over 70's being vaccinated by mid February 2021 is likely to be missed, due largely to a shortage of supply, they pointed out that the actual Government words were. "all over 70's will be 'offered' the vaccine, by that deadline.

They said the word 'offered' was inserted because it was voluntary and some might refuse. They also pointed out that they could in theory, 'offer' a vaccine in mid February, to be delivered in say March and April, and still fulfill their policy.

From a Government that fulfilled its test target by counting a nose and a throat swab as two tests, and counted tests put in a post box towards the target - I wouldn't put it past them.

On a pedantic note - because so many numbers are mentioned, perhaps it should really be calle 'More or Fewer'. I'll get my coat. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Preferred pronouns - Thou, Thee, Thy, Thine
My non-working days are Monday - Sunday
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I listened to that episode and I too was struck by the exposure of the weasel word 'offer'. I was also struck by the latest figures last night and went back to the snooker. :sad:
Stanley Challenger Graham
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

"Beware of certitude" (Jimmy Reid)
The floggings will continue until morale improves!
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

Vaccinating the whole population is an enormous task. Trying to balance supplies of different types of vaccine and at the same time trying to give priority to the most vulnerable adds to the difficulty. To my mind the people at ground level are doing a fantastic job and can't be praised enough. Of course there are those who want some of glory by quoting numbers and time scales which inevitably by the time when the media has finished mangling them only adds a layer of confusion. As always give the workers the tools and let them get on with the job.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Our Jack has his result and unfortunately it is positive! He was working at Salterforth school on the day he started feeling rough. He mentioned it to the head teacher before he left. Early evening when he was at home the head teacher brought Jack a testing kit just in case he couldn't book a test. Jemma is now feeling very unwell and will have to isolate anyway but I think it will be a good idea if she uses the self test kit and sends it off. That way she will get on the radar of the test and trace system directly as well. Jack says he has never felt as ill and has lost over half a stone already with his fever.

We have a shopping list for them, I got most of it last night at Aldi. I went at 9pm and was only one of two in the store apart from the staff. Sally is completing their list at the Coop now and we will take it down before lunch.
Ian
Marilyn
VIP Member

Post by Marilyn »

Drop the shopping off and stand well back.
It won’t be easy, but you must protect yourself. They know this...
plaques
Donor

Post by plaques »

PanBiker wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 10:19 Jack says he has never felt as ill and has lost over half a stone already with his fever.
I keep telling people this when talking about taking up the influenza vaccine. I know all about it with the 'Asian' flu. They just smile, roll their eyes and give the impression that the old fool of a Dodo is at it again. Hope that Jack and Jemma make a swift and total recovery.
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator
Location: Barnoldswick - In the West Riding of Yorkshire, always was, always will be.

Post by PanBiker »

Indeed Maz. Jack is generally a fit young bloke, cycling, walking, Gym etc, Jemma is usually well also. Lets hope they can fight this off.

Ken, having had proper viral influenza I know exactly what you mean. I lost just short of 3 stone in 17 days when we had it 20 years ago. I have no time for those that claim to have flu and are walking about.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

How old are Jack and Jemma?
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I am not sure of adding the lock down overweight as being a good thing as in a buffer. Or not good as excess weight seems to provide either something for the virus to feed on, or a means of slowing down the bodies responses
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Whyperion wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:06 I am not sure of adding the lock down overweight as being a good thing as in a buffer. Or not good as excess weight seems to provide either something for the virus to feed on, or a means of slowing down the bodies responses
??? :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I agree with everything you say about viral flu. Been there with Asian Flu late 1950s. I don't want to go there again!
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Gloria wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 11:03 How old are Jack and Jemma?
Our Jack is 34 and Jemma is 28.
Ian
Gloria

Post by Gloria »

No age at all to be catching it then. Hope they’re ok.
Gloria
Now an Honorary Chief Engineer who'd be dangerous with a brain!!!
http://www.briercliffesociety.co.uk
http://www.lfhhs.org.uk
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

Gloria wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 14:35 No age at all to be catching it then
I didn't think age was a factor in getting infected ? Certainly is in the outcome, and in that age range, I'd say the prognosis was good for them both. I wish them both a speedy recovery.
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

Correct Tripps, on both age and prognosis. Ian, at their ages they should defeat it OK - Tripps could probably express it well in his horse-racing odds! But do tell them both to avoid mental and physical stress, as much as is possible given that they're ill. I'm sure that long-term effects like long-covid are more likely among those who try to `carry on as usual' and stress themselves too much. It probably depresses the immune system. It's time to lie back and think of England! :smile:
Tripps wrote: 13 Jan 2021, 23:13 I listened to Radio 4's 'More or Less' programme this morning. It's been recommended on here, and I've never heard a full episode. First of a new series. Tizer has recommended it, and I also would recommend it.
I'm glad you find `More or Less' useful. In the previous series every weekly episode spent about 10 minutes tearing apart the government's latest claims for the progress of its Test & Trace project. Now they're focusing on the vaccine roll out in another series called `How to Vaccinate the World' LINK
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I enjoyed it, but the item on analysis of the names of the children, in a particul;ar listener's daughter's class by first letter of their forenames irritated me. Not difficult these days. :smile:

I knew that most lists of numbers from various sources, when analysed, show a preonderance of lower numbers at the start. Can't find the link at the moment.

I also keep a Filofax book of websites that I have registered for, and the 'A ' page has the most.

'A' was the most common first letter for the girls' names, but I don't think for the boys. In the talk about the boys' names they named the most popular, but managed not to mention those beginning with letter 'M'.

We're being gently 'groomed'. I've described myself as a ' grumpy groomed grandad' recently. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Tizer
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Tizer »

The photos of my 100s of mineral specimens are grouped alphabetically between 9 folders, distributed as evenly as possible. Only two folders contain names beginning with only a single letter, C and S.
Nullius in verba: On the word of no one (Motto of the Royal Society)
PanBiker
Site Administrator
Site Administrator

Post by PanBiker »

Tripps wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 14:39
Gloria wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 14:35 No age at all to be catching it then
I didn't think age was a factor in getting infected ? Certainly is in the outcome, and in that age range, I'd say the prognosis was good for them both. I wish them both a speedy recovery.
Thanks, they both work in schools one way or the other. Jemma is a Primary School teacher and our Jack works in IT and tech support role in the same sector. Either could have picked it up first with their roles.
Ian
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

Tripps wrote: 14 Jan 2021, 16:11 I knew that most lists of numbers from various sources, when analysed, show a preonderance of lower numbers at the start. Can't find the link at the moment.
There are a couple of Matt Parker You Tube videos on that ( its a problem with any place based number system)

Meanwhile Back semi-corona related (though it fits in politics too). Foof Parcels for Free School Meals - Funding at Half Term
Part of the shuttle of funding and responsibility lies with how the Government thinks it is funding a potential food / poverty situation
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-55663564 Summarising. During School Terms Schools are responsible for providing a free school dinner to pupils that qualify ( I presume it would be the local authority that provides such lists of pupils and makes such funding to the schools. The schools contract or do their own meals ). While no direct mention is made of schools that run non-term events - some do catch up and other contracts depending on their area etc, the principle is , and from a schools point of view not unreasonably, that Councils fund/provide food during the school holidays. This seems reasonable, but I dont know if this is funded normally by local authorities from their own funds, or from government allocations. Now what (and if you recall the likes of Liverpool and Manchester negiotiating with central government for funds)

Now the present February Plan from Govt is that :

Food will be provided by councils under the Covid Winter Grant Scheme, rather than through schools.

But councils say the government should provide food vouchers over half term.

"Vulnerable families will continue to receive meals," said a Department for Education spokeswoman.

"Our guidance is clear: schools provide free school meals for eligible pupils during term time. Beyond that, there is wider government support in place to support families and children via the billions of pounds in welfare support we've made available," she said.

The DFE insists that even though schools will not provide food parcels or vouchers during half term, children will still be adequately supplied through the £170m Covid Winter Grant Scheme (CWGS) fund set up in early December.

This aims to support those most in need across England with the cost of food, energy, water bills and other essentials.

But Richard Watts, chairman of the Local Government Association's resources board, said: "The government should provide food vouchers to eligible families during February half-term as it did last summer, with councils using CWGS funding to provide additional support with partners where necessary.
"During the last full national lockdown government recognised the significant extra pressures on low income families and extended free school meal provision into the school holidays.
________________________ So , where is the problem - Richard Watts continues -

"Government was explicit that the Covid Winter Grant Scheme was not intended to replicate or replace free school meals, but was to enable councils to support low income households, particularly those at risk of food poverty as we moved towards economic recovery."

Under the scheme, councils are required to work out their own local eligibility approach", using benefits data and their local knowledge to decide how to support vulnerable families.

"Moving to this scheme for a replacement for school meals during half term has drawn criticism from head teachers and teachers due to the added situation of a national lockdown." = Why ?

Govt Response - "There is wider government support in place to support families and children outside of term-time through the Covid Winter Grant Scheme." Which seems fair , if it is comprehensive and adequate.

I think the problem is correctly, the CWGS is not to replace school meals (term time stuff), but if specified correctly that it was to top-up local authority funds to spend among other things, food poverty during school holidays. As to if Local Authorities think that vouchers direct from Govt are better, well I think that is the normal issue of Govt demanding authorities to do things without fully funding them, and then having someone to take the blame when it all goes wrong. Is or has there been any normal funding for food outwith of schools (I can recall the DHSS vouchers out with family income supplement in the 70s/80s) , and if they are a financial value voucher you can buy more in Farm Foods in Coal Croft at Burnley than you can in One Stop - whose prices are higher.

Of course the main idea for free school meals was , aside from generalised welfare nutrition when learning, was to ensure there was nil discrimination and kids not missing out (though in the 60s did anyone have the free school meals tables - or they went in first or last at sittings ? - in recent years things have been loaded on cards so its anonoymous to other kids - and teachers ( teachers used to collect the weekly dinner money at monday morning registration at primary school. with a F in the attendence circle for the free ones, the registration sheet I think must have gone to the kitchen for working out numbers of meals.
Whyperion

Post by Whyperion »

I suppose it should be noted that the rate of infection growth seems to have flattened out , this is probably not surprising as the restrictions on people meeting take effect, though lest anyone think everything is safe now, it is not that there are no further cases, just that say this week there were 14 people requiring hospitalisation, that will probably be the same amount next week - rather than the earlier growth to say 21 persons as trends were doing. At some point (probably over the next 21 days, hopefully the numbers will fall to 7 persons a week (scale up obviously to real totals).
Tripps
VIP Member

Post by Tripps »

I learn tonight that East Anglia is the region that has the smallest percentage of people in receipt of the vaccine.

You'd think that having this gaff Astrazenicaabout twenty minutes drive away, might have been a help, but the opposite seems to be the case.

I saw some of the building work, but never the finished building. Impressive. :smile:
Born to be mild
Sapere Aude
Ego Lego
Stanley
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Stanley »

I hide in my hole and wait for the call..... :biggrin2:
Susan got her Oxford jab yesterday. Don't ask me where, could have been at work.
Stanley's View
scg1936 at talktalk.net

Return to “Current Affairs & Comment”